Post A Picture Of Your Guitar

davey1991

Have any of you gentlemen got an acoustic or a bass that needs a new home? I fancy something new to keep my fingers busy...

Got a semi acoustic guitar and a semi acoustic bass that have been sitting around looking unloved in the corner for far too long. Bass is near new haha! You know where to find me bro

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Haha!

If you're careful, you can do it. You can bend, vibrato maybe, the natural harmonic. You can only slide them a couple of frets, and it's harder to do.

You put your finger over the harmonic and pick it, and then carefully slide your finger into the actual fret before without letting the string up, and it maintains the harmonic, and then when your finger is in the right position, you can bend it, vibrato it. Slides are harder, it's sort of like squeezing the harmonic up. You can't slide down.

Well, yeah, I'm trying sliding them now and it's shit so maybe you can't do it.

Ah, maybe not, it's very hard but I got a good one just now.

I've made a video to prove that it's possible!

Edited by Revolver

There's a much easier and more controllable way to bend a harmonic.

Play the damn thing then get your finger behind the nut and start bending that string. It's nothing that unusal - just behind the nut harmonics.

If you do it at a reallly high gain you can make a beautiful screaming noise.

Not as much bend? Are you serious? You can bend the hell out of it behind the nut - especially on a guitar such as a telecaster with it's sexy scooped neck?

Takes longer? That's bull, in the same second you've picked the harmonic you're behind the nut already doing your best Jack White impression. Also it looks super cool and for style points you can do the bend with your right hand.

Listen to the solo at the end of this song for some awesome right-hand harmonics

Edited by Matthew62

Clearly it depends on the guitar, meaning none of mine are suitable for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b_Eb-hVCA

Here's a video of me doing the technique I found.

I've not practiced it, so I still can't do it all the time.

I didn't put slide harmonics in because it's harder, but it's a similar in a way.

Edited by Revolver

Yeah, no offense but that sounds nasty. It's so scruffy even when done well sounds shitty.

You've got an SG up there - that should be fine for behind the nut. At least with that technique it's clean - allows the harmonic to ring on without any chance of disrupting it and is controllable to such a perfect extent. You can really make your guitar sing with it.

I used to jam with a few mates when at uni and the intro to a song i wrote involved live looped volume swell harmoics, which sometime's i'd bend behind the nut - now that was a sound. For a very similar example but without the harmonic

Yeah, no offense but that sounds nasty. It's so scruffy even when done well sounds shitty.

You've got an SG up there - that should be fine for behind the nut. At least with that technique it's clean - allows the harmonic to ring on without any chance of disrupting it and is controllable to such a perfect extent. You can really make your guitar sing with it.

I used to jam with a few mates when at uni and the intro to a song i wrote involved live looped volume swell harmoics, which sometime's i'd bend behind the nut - now that was a sound. For a very similar example but without the harmonic

That's probably just me and my guitar. I'm not really a clean player.

Yeah, that guitar does it better, but it won't give me a whole 3 semitones like my technique does.

I think its main application is on that there low E string, which has always been a cnut to pinch harmonic.

I think clean playing is shit. I like players like Jimi who was scruffy as hell, however i think if you're going to be playing the sort of music like you posted up then that stuff doesn't work when scruffy.

It's all in the amp/guitar set-up. With scooped mid's and that horrible toneless distortion (sorry) being scruffy just hurts the listener. If you're metaling it up = keep it clean. If you're a big dirty fuzz lover like myself i think the dirtier the better.

I suppose you like harmonics for that metal funny noise you hear a lot, but i reckon the g string is the one where it's at for bending harmonics. Nice and bright but not so bendy like the lower two. All dependant on tone though and i've never played with your sort of sound so i guess it's different strokes for different folks. The great thing about music i guess.

I've never been inclined to own an Ibanez but of all the one's i've tried i just can't get on with that flat neck. I like curly D and U shaped necks - and my word 24 frets!!! Never in my life could i imagine such a thing. Do you always find on your SG if you're not holding the neck it goes slamming towards the floor due to the strap placement?

Edited by Matthew62

I think clean playing is shit. I like players like Jimi who was scruffy as hell, however i think if you're going to be playing the sort of music like you posted up then that stuff doesn't work when scruffy.

It's all in the amp/guitar set-up. With scooped mid's and that horrible toneless distortion (sorry) being scruffy just hurts the listener. If you're metaling it up = keep it clean. If you're a big dirty fuzz lover like myself i think the dirtier the better.

I suppose you like harmonics for that metal funny noise you hear a lot, but i reckon the g string is the one where it's at for bending harmonics. Nice and bright but not so bendy like the lower two. All dependant on tone though and i've never played with your sort of sound so i guess it's different strokes for different folks. The great thing about music i guess.

I'm well aware that my tone isn't great.. I'd love a marshall valve combo but it's a bit pricey. This is a line 6 spider, it's not the best amp. It can sound better though, that recording doesn't entirely do it justice. Mostly, but not entirely.

Post an example of your own tone if you've got one, it would be nice to hear that.

I'd use less distortion but it sort of sounds weak and empty without it. I've heard bands use less distortion and get more tone in there, so it's obviously an amp issue.

I like harmonics when they're clear, but they don't always come out so clear. I'd agree, the G string is the best one for harmonics.

You know, in regards to that tone... that particular setting has maximum mids, nearly full bass and barely any treble, and it still comes out like that. Shit or what?

Edited by Revolver

Heh, I have played with it a bit.

The trouble is, it has those 4 settings, and each one only has a limited amount of adjustment. You can't have the 'metal' or 'crunch' ones set to the same as the 'insane' one... so you only have so much scope.

Maybe I'll fiddle with it later.

Or maybe I'll go and get that marshall that's in the shop in town...

Heh, I have played with it a bit.

The trouble is, it has those 4 settings, and each one only has a limited amount of adjustment. You can't have the 'metal' or 'crunch' ones set to the same as the 'insane' one... so you only have so much scope.

Maybe I'll fiddle with it later.

Or maybe I'll go and get that marshall that's in the shop in town...

You can 'hack' them, but I know I did mine with the full floorboard, and I can't remember how - a little google will help you I'm sure...

I'm well aware that my tone isn't great.. I'd love a marshall valve combo but it's a bit pricey. This is a line 6 spider, it's not the best amp. It can sound better though, that recording doesn't entirely do it justice. Mostly, but not entirely.

Post an example of your own tone if you've got one, it would be nice to hear that.

I'd use less distortion but it sort of sounds weak and empty without it. I've heard bands use less distortion and get more tone in there, so it's obviously an amp issue.

I like harmonics when they're clear, but they don't always come out so clear. I'd agree, the G string is the best one for harmonics.

You know, in regards to that tone... that particular setting has maximum mids, nearly full bass and barely any treble, and it still comes out like that. Shit or what?

I've got a marshall JCM 2000 which is a 100 watt valve head and yeah they're pretty nice and all and good for some hard rocking, and can create some crystal clear tones and it's really, really nice but what i think i'd go for now is a nice 2x10/2x12 fender of some sort. I have a little fender tube amp which has a 1x10 in it and it's great. It only has a tone and volume control and will begin to distort a bit at full volume and that is lovely but a little restricting. The mid size fenders i think are beautiful. I know it sounds snobby but i would never play through a digital amp again - i've used tubes for years and see it as the only option really.

I don't know that i have one specific 'tone' but i sure have a lot of recordings that kind of some it up. When i'm at home i shall somehow find a way to post them in here for you to have a listen.

The only thing i can honestly say, and it might sound a bit cliched but it is so very true, and that is that tone comes from the fingers not your set-up. I always remeber a jam when i had my full set-up playing with my tele and it all sounded great and all, but i gave my guitar to my friend who was a very different musician to me (a real great finger picker) and the sounds he was getting out of it were so different.

Pedals, amp and EQ just fine tune what it is you're putting in through your movements.

For now as a little taster here's a link to an on going project i'm in with a friend. The music is varied and not overly indicative of my tone but as i say its a taster for now

Edited by Matthew62

I was looking at something like a MA50C.

Those JCMs are pretty popular. I couldn't justify any kind of stack though, ha.

Do post some recordings up!

Yeah.. this guy I used to know once told me about this dude he met who was a really good player, techically, but he said his playing had no emotion to it.

I do have a big korg pedal, I use that for wah when I fancy it but it doesn't have a proper EQ, and it's also one of these modelling type thingies, which I don't like. Other than that I don't really use effects. A little bit of the amp's own reverb, maybe.

I'm having a go on the metal setting, which is a little bit looser and less distorted, and it's pretty cool. It lacks sustain though.

No stacks are really stupid - i learnt that lesson some time ago.

I edited my previous post with a link to some music for now.

I'm quite a fan of pedals - i went through a bit of an obsessive phase - a pic of my board is in that other guitar thread somewhere around here. They can be so over used and there is a tendancy if you have them - to use them so it's difficult finding a nice balance between alternative sound, and over the top space soloing.

Wah pedals are something that i think are very difficult to buy these days as so many sound awful. The Dunlop crybaby is a prime example - truly an awful sound.

Actually, ironically this is the one thing Ibanez i own (and probably will) i have a discontinued ibanez wah from the 80's which were shit as the first time you stand on them the pedal snaps but the tone is something else. If you're every lucky enough to find one then snap it up. It's used by john Frusciante and his mate Omar Rodriguez from the Mars Volta took a liking to them and bought every single one he could ever find which meant in about 2 years they became virtually impossible to find.

f**k - glad this topic came back up. I just looked for the old pedal on ebay to see what they went for today (were going for £300 a couple of years ago) and it appears they've now re-issued it! This is awesome news (as long as they've kept the sound the same). If they have i highly recommend you check it out. It's called the Ibanez WH10...jeez what a day - never thought i'd see that come back. I need to compare one to my original.

No stacks are really stupid - i learnt that lesson some time ago.

I edited my previous post with a link to some music for now.

I'm quite a fan of pedals - i went through a bit of an obsessive phase - a pic of my board is in that other guitar thread somewhere around here. They can be so over used and there is a tendancy if you have them - to use them so it's difficult finding a nice balance between alternative sound, and over the top space soloing.

Wah pedals are something that i think are very difficult to buy these days as so many sound awful. The Dunlop crybaby is a prime example - truly an awful sound.

Actually, ironically this is the one thing Ibanez i own (and probably will) i have a discontinued ibanez wah from the 80's which were shit as the first time you stand on them the pedal snaps but the tone is something else. If you're every lucky enough to find one then snap it up. It's used by john Frusciante and his mate Omar Rodriguez from the Mars Volta took a liking to them and bought every single one he could ever find which meant in about 2 years they became virtually impossible to find.

f**k - glad this topic came back up. I just looked for the old pedal on ebay to see what they went for today (were going for £300 a couple of years ago) and it appears they've now re-issued it! This is awesome news (as long as they've kept the sound the same). If they have i highly recommend you check it out. It's called the Ibanez WH10...jeez what a day - never thought i'd see that come back. I need to compare one to my original.

Yeah, I definitely don't have the space for a stack. I doubt I have space for that marshall combo but I might buy it anyway.

I don't mind effects but I think they're only for every now and again, so I rarely use them myself.

Mm, the wah on this korg pedal isn't amazing.

Ha, that's a bit OTT. He does have a nice sound though. I can't handle the Mars Volta for too long, they do get a bit weird sometimes.

The old Ibanez tube screamers are quite sought after too. I'd like to try one of those. People seem to use those on top of other distortion pedals, which is interesting. I always found using two distortion effects to really over do it, but I guess moderation of the two might produce something better.

If that's played on the bridge pickup, that's a pretty good tone you've got. My amp produces a really tinny naff sound through the bridge on the clean setting, so I always use the neck pickup to get some depth in there.

A spoken arcanum is entirely acoustic. The lower/deeper tones playing rhythm are me and the notes over the top in the birhgter tone are my bud. Also you are completely right - there is some super stretchy chords in that and i was going for a foreign feel with that one.

It was played on my Martin 00-15 which is a beautiful guitar.

A continual Rotation Part C....the atonal riff that leads in to the song... that's played on the bridge pick-up of my tele which is as bright as i'd ever go and much brighter than i'd usualy ever play.

I shall source some better examples when at home.

Edited by Matthew62