Sintered Or Organic Pads?

Ross McArthur

the sd7 lever is a great buy for the money; easily the best lever ive used so far ( sd5, sd3, xt, xtr )

not so sure about the pads though; i know organic should give better performance; although im not too sure. Apparently ebc red pads are supposed to be realy good pads for use on a trials bike.

Right, thats me decided on the lever then.

Pad choice is either this, Avid

This, Avid 2

This, Avid 3

This, Avid 4 (ceramic)

So whats the best in your opinion? Regardless of cost.

Sintered are fine!

You'll probably have a bit more power with organic, but it'll not last as long as the Sintered.

So as Sintered have enough power to my opinion, you should get it.

had a little ask around at work for you.

sintered are harder for winter use and the organic are slightly softer for summer use, the organic pads offer slightly more modulation and feel.

the sintered pads are sharper also pretty certain they dont last as long.

hope that helps a bit.

sintered are harder for winter use and the organic are slightly softer for summer use, the organic pads offer slightly more modulation and feel.

the sintered pads are sharper also pretty certain they dont last as long.

that doesn't make any sense. sintered is metal-based compound so its designed to not shred in the wet and grit from off road riders, performance is reduced but durability is increased.

organic is the softer compound for better performance especially in the dry.

and if you ask me which to go for on a trials bike then definitely organic. when do you ever see mud and grit on your rotor??

steve

ORGANIC= BETTER PERFORMANCE AND LESS DURABILITY !!!!!

SINTERED= A BIT LESS PERFORMANCE AND MORE DURABILITY !!!

It's that simple.....then it's your call to choose what you want.

An be sure no matter what you choose your bb7 will have a tone of power as usual.

Does it make sense to you?

i hope this will help you! ^_^

bb7's always seem to have solid lock (they have from my experience) with whatever pads i have bought. I have had 4 or 5 over the years, just through swapping them etc, just get sintered because they last longer...thats what i have normally bought and my brake always holds tough...

ORGANIC= BETTER PERFORMANCE AND LESS DURABILITY !!!!!

SINTERED= A BIT LESS PERFORMANCE AND MORE DURABILITY !!!

It's that simple.....then it's your call to choose what you want.

An be sure no matter what you choose your bb7 will have a tone of power as usual.

Does it make sense to you?

i hope this will help you! ^_^

But I still dont know what to go for!!

:P only kidding.

Right ok, sintered it is then.

Thanks friends. :D

I think a lot of people get confused as to what they are actually using. Sintered are longer life but less power, this is more of an issue for mountain bikes where pad wear is an issue. On a trials bike, pads last aaaages anyway. I've admittedly only used Hayes organic and sintered pads - but the sintered ones had a LOT less bite.

Conclusion: I'd definitely go for organic. They're (usually) slightly cheaper and are more powerful. Maybe the Avid sintered pads are better though?

Organic pads should get the disk hotter quicker as they tend to be less thermally conductive. Sintered pads have more metal in them and therefore conduct more heat away from the disk to the brake caliper. On my Shimano XT 2 pot brakes, organic pads give more bite, less life (Probably by about 1/3) and don't howl like sintered pads often do when the disk is running hot (And by hot I mean 40mph descents in the Alps, not dragging it down the local high street - mostly either pad type will be silent unless its contaminated with oil).

Magura disks don't even come with a sintered pad option AFAIK as they reckon organic are the way to go (With mineral oil's lower boiling point compared to DOT 5.1, better insulating brake pads will reduce the likelihood of brake fluid boiling, so that might be part of their reasoning too (Shimano are also mineral oil though)... This is all monumentally irrelevant for trials of course as the disks never see that kind of heat :) ).

Just buy another Hope.

Na.

Organic pads should get the disk hotter quicker as they tend to be less thermally conductive. Sintered pads have more metal in them and therefore conduct more heat away from the disk to the brake caliper. On my Shimano XT 2 pot brakes, organic pads give more bite, less life (Probably by about 1/3) and don't howl like sintered pads often do when the disk is running hot (And by hot I mean 40mph descents in the Alps, not dragging it down the local high street - mostly either pad type will be silent unless its contaminated with oil).

Magura disks don't even come with a sintered pad option AFAIK as they reckon organic are the way to go (With mineral oil's lower boiling point compared to DOT 5.1, better insulating brake pads will reduce the likelihood of brake fluid boiling, so that might be part of their reasoning too (Shimano are also mineral oil though)... This is all monumentally irrelevant for trials of course as the disks never see that kind of heat :) ).

Your the efin man!

Organic. Sintered help remove heat, but you don't need that in trials - goes twice seeing as though you're using a cable and heating up the fluid isn't going to be an issue.