Help! Fuel Leak

Tomm

Can anyone help me with a little problem I've been having.

Basically my car has been smelling a lot of petrol recently but I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, I had a look underneath and I'm leaking fuel onto the ground. It's definitely petrol (not oil or anything else - I was parked on snow so I grabbed a handful of the snow under the drip) and it's coming from under the middle of the car, just in front of the rear wheels. I assume this is where the fuel tank is? You can see that the drip is coming from higher up - you can see fuel dripping around the sides of (what I assume is) the tank.

I left the car parked up for about 2 weeks, and it hadn't lost a massive amount of fuel in that time (I can't remember when I last filled it up, but after the 2 weeks there was at least half a tank. But now I've been driving round a little bit, (30 miles or so), I've lost almost half a tank - Which makes me think it's something slightly more complicated than simply a hole in the bottom/side of the tank. Maybe a leaking pipeline at the top of the tank that only leaks when the engine is running?! I don't really know the anatomy of my car.

As far as the car goes, it's running OK, but losing fuel at a very noticeable rate. It's a VW Polo 6n (98, R Reg) with a 1.6 petrol engine (I don't *think* this model is an injection engine?).

I'm going to try and have a look later on today. I have a Haynes manual but I don't know if that will be too much use when I don't really know what I'm looking for. So what sort of things should I be looking for, how should I go about working out what's wrong/maybe fix it? Please help, I don't want to get raped by taking it to a garage!

I guess you want to check for any actual holes in the tank, which I imagine isn't likely, and to look at what the hoses are like leading from it. I'd suspect that's where the leak's coming from. It could be a shit hose or a loose hose, if you have a ook you'll find out :turned:

Cant help with the specific model but, when I had my 84 polo breadwagon the filler neck on the fuel tank rotted through (design fault as its directly infront of the rear tyre and unguarded) so I replaced the fuel tank. All of the fuel lines were running along the centre of the car on the underside and most of it seemed to be plastic tubing which was just push fitted onto spigots.

Chances are with the recent cold weather that one of the fuel lines has split/cracked and its weeping fuel, only way to check is to jack it up and have a look see :)

If it's anything like a MK2, the 2nd fuel pump is under the car just infront of the drivers side rear wheel could be that..?

Really the only thing to do though is jack it up and trace the leak back. Fuel tanks are usually easy enough to remove should you need to.

I sorted it. Turns out it was pissing petrol out of the fuel filter. Not at the join with the fuel lines or anything, just corrosion straight through the metal barrel of the filter :blink: But I went and got a new fuel filter and it seems OK. I was fearing the worst, but it only ended up costing me £11.99!