Question On Copyright

mr kenny

righty,

i'm looking into a few thinks for a friend that has a bike shop- not relevant who really.

and he can't playmusic in his shop( the shop is tiny) for fear of being prosecuted for copyrght infringment.

there are third party licences he can purchase but they all seem to say that theres is the only one that covers all bases...

can an interrnet streaming station be used ( like last fm?) or by playing that in the back ground naughty still, i mean having the i pod on to loud while sitting at a desk.

plase if anyone can shed some light as i don't understand to much about this and it seems shit that he can't listen to music in his own shop.

cheers

kenny

Copyright infringement requires him to be replicating the original source digitally (i guess analogue too if he copies it to a tape) for distribution. He's only breaking copyright laws if he copies the original cd and hands it out.

However, the laws on allowing the media to be played or distributed in a public place is slightly different. A lot of DVD's etc withhold the right for the owner to play them in public places and on coaches... stuff like that. Playing a radio is allowed as its a free to air broadcast, if the internet radio station is freely broadcast as well then its okay for him to play it in his shop.

I'm pretty sure that playing his cd's in the shop won't be an illegality, just a violation of the laws set out by the producers of the music. It should say in the sleeve whether playback in public places is allowed.

Just out of curiosity. Who does he think is going to be telling him off? In reality, with the way music is used nowadays nobody will check the way the media is setup.

Copyright infringement requires him to be replicating the original source digitally (i guess analogue too if he copies it to a tape) for distribution. He's only breaking copyright laws if he copies the original cd and hands it out.

However, the laws on allowing the media to be played or distributed in a public place is slightly different. A lot of DVD's etc withhold the right for the owner to play them in public places and on coaches... stuff like that. Playing a radio is allowed as its a free to air broadcast, if the internet radio station is freely broadcast as well then its okay for him to play it in his shop.

I'm pretty sure that playing his cd's in the shop won't be an illegality, just a violation of the laws set out by the producers of the music. It should say in the sleeve whether playback in public places is allowed.

Just out of curiosity. Who does he think is going to be telling him off? In reality, with the way music is used nowadays nobody will check the way the media is setup.

Pretty sure you need a license:

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx

Jon

Pretty sure you need a license:

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx

Jon

Their terms and conditions state its only for their music and that smaller shops may be exempt. I guess you'd have to check their tariff pdf then. I can't get the thing to open on my computer.

The problem i see is that while playing cd's in a store might be against the law, a radio is a completely different form of media. You pay for the device to play it, and the broadcast itself is freely aired. Now the station itself is covered in its own right because it gets paid through the advertising. The customers aren't going to be hearing just the songs, they hear the adverts too. The customer also isn't going to be taking the music home with them in a reproducible format. The fact that this company seems to be charging for radio stations to be broadcast seems fairly suspect as their making a profit from a free service, which in itself is against the law. Fair enough if you were broadcasting a television service to customers then they are effectively using a paid service for free... but the radio isn't a paid service so it changes things again.

If it's a small shop, the license won't be a huge amount. Probably about £1500? That means he could even have a live band in if he wanted.

Now - if he only played local bands on the radio, whom he had permission from to play the music, he wouldn't need a license, as he has their permission to do so.

Although, if he didn't I doubt he would be caught, if he did, the fine is craaazzzyyyy.