Deng Frame Improvement Thread

Jason222

It does make a difference to your riding....but, it doesnt mean youre instantly going to be loads better

I don't really think I could notice 5mm difference, be it CS, BB rise or reach, when I changed from my Echo Lite forks to my Dob forks, they were shorter, so the BB dropped 5mm, but I didn't notice the difference in the ride. I'm sure a pro or a very talented rider would notice it, but I don't think an average joe would, and I also think people make way too much fuss over geo. Rich has gone from Echo to Czar to Zoo and whatever and now is riding a Phase, which has fairly different geo to the other bikes, with regards to bb rise, yet he's getting on with it really well.

Ben Savage himself said "18/02/2009 - I am very pleased with how the Limey2 rides, on my first outing I pulled my biggest rear wheel gap ever. I was a worried about returning to a low bottom bracket after riding frames with a +30 and 40 bb rise for so many years. I actually prefer the feel of the lower bb, it makes the bike allot more stable and generally easier to ride."

I'm a believer that a lot of trials is mental ability, I hadn't ridden in 6 months but I went out the other day, and pissed a gap I was having trouble with when I was at what I felt was the peak of my riding, I also got a static to back that I've never even tried before, and it only took me like... 3 attempts, because I believe in myself, and my ability.

I'm not saying that geo doesnt make a difference, because it does, but I feel a lot of people buy bikes and then say "yeah that feels a lot better than my +10 bike" whereas in reality they're riding worse and their style is shit.

I dunno... I don't really care :) ride for fun, that's what I'm all about, I'm shit, but I have fun, so it's all good!

GU LE 08:

Improvements:

These frames are too flexy. The top and down tubes should be joined somewhere to improve stiffness. The rear end is also quite flexy, thicker tubes or a built in booster would be great.

They are also on the short side for a TGS/Comp style bike. The reach should be at least 5 mm longer, and head angle should be a bit sharper.

Feel free to post your deng bikes, and how you'd like them to be improved. Also feel free to argue with the improvements of others...

you are joking right?

mines solid as a rock, rides a dream

I would argue that it is drastically wrong, which does make it hard to be ridden for it's purpose. I found it extremely difficult to stay on the rear wheel in a confined space with 375 CS, and it's much more difficult to turn in place as well.

But that just links back to my point on personal preference and how different geometry suit people of different sizes ................

Why is this just people trying to prove me wrong when clearly i am not lol.

Edited by monkeysaredbomb@hotmail.co

I love my 375mm chainstays :)... I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference between 375 and 385 on a similarly set up bike though...

No matter how good the geometry on a bike is if the brakes or freewheel don't inspire confidence it'll ride like crap, so its very easy to have a go on another person's bike and think it's awesome or rubbish because of how other parts feel compared to what you're used to...

I agree with you, Deng frames was stronger, but in the last years they are weaker...isn`t only the weight, because the new CZAR, weights 2kg and is a lot weaker, I see a lot broken...

That was caused by incorrect chainstay tube lengths, not the design.

Deng is now opening his own factory so one can expect these problems to be resolved.

Damn what a turd thread. I will join in, i like 375mm chainstays, if i want to do backhops all the time i'll take 385mm but otherwise NO. Maybe bashgaurds and seats should appear more. Disc mounts wouldn't go a miss either i guess. And horizontal dropouts can f**k off too. To be honest it think Deng has improved this year, allot more than Koxx. That Sky range is pure junk for the money, it's just more material removal and a supposedly better alloy. I hazard a guess they moved production to Taiwan for them though going by a picture i just saw, that is only a good thing.

Deng is now opening his own factory so one can expect these problems to be resolved.

We hope than the next deng frames are stiff, light, and less expensive...

He told than it´s going to do several models of one brand, so that´s good :)...

Maybe if he do light frames with a range of geos, and stiff frames with several geos, he can cover almost all the expectatives of one rider, and win a lot of money for sure... :shifty:

that´the reason why I want a triton :lol:

you are joking right?

mines solid as a rock, rides a dream

Are you riding the 26" version? I'm talking about 26". I find it's quite noticeable around the seat stays and front end.

no point in this thread when you think about it. people opinions vary, so its never be 'perfect' in every1s eyes...

ano what you mean though, just people will rant on, then the next person will want sumthing diffrent, this is why he makes diffrent models:)

Yeah, well this thread wasn't supposed to turn into "Best geometry" thread like it has. It's an improvement thread. So, if a frame has some kind of flaw, whatever it be, this is the place to discuss it.

So I'm going to show how my old GU LE could have been improved...

One of the main things I found with this frame was the flexyness of the seatstays. They're too long and welded too far apart(end to end), so the brake has a lot more leverage on the stay. I found it was too flexy even with a 4 bolt booster. It was really difficult to get this brake setup properly...This could have been remedied in 2 ways. Firstly, this frame could have had a booster built in. Although that would add a bit more weight to this frame than desired, as it's aimed to be on the light side. Secondly, he could have made the seat tube either straight or slanted slightly in reverse, and made the seat tubes more robust and thicker, like a ZHI z1 frame.

pbpic2659821.jpg

pbpic2617070.jpg

Also, these frames flex a lot around the head tube. It's quite noticeable. Actually, I think my DOB frame was stiffer in that area. The obvious solution is to join them...doesn't have to be a long join like with frames like Adamants or Czars, but at least some kind of join to improve stiffness.

Edited by Jason222