What Gearing For A 24"?

ding_dong

HOLY roller?

*snip*

High roller

*snip*

Holy roller

I'm thinking of buying the top one.

High roller's are really sticky tyres which are great for natural but really aren't much cop for a more streety setup. Go for something like a DMR Moto or Holy Roller instead unless you're planning riding rocks and comps etc.

• 2 weeks later...

22-16 is such a nice setup. I just went form 22-17 to 22-16 on my inspired thinking 1 tooth less wouldnt make that much of a deal......it didnt, but it just feels soo much smoother now, just spot on!

I like 22:18, but then I used to run 22:19 on a stock.

With 170mm cranks I can spin the cranks fast enough to get the speed for pretty much any move I do. And because its a fairly light gear it doesn't hinder my gaps/sidehops.

As for tyres I've run various combos on moto Rt and diggers, tioga comp X and maxxis tyres of the years, but for the moment I'm happiest with schwalbe racing ralf on the front and a moto digger on the back. It would be nice to have a rear tyre that folded a little less, and had better puncture protection, but its a price I'm willing to pay for light weight fast rolling high volume tyres.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the whole riding style and technique of riding a 24 different from other trials bikes?

IF you mean to say, do I have to learn how to do things differently, no - trials on a 24" bike is just the same.

24" riders seem to include a lot more flowing techniques. Bunnyhops, manualling, rolling gaps. But these are all tricks you can do on a stock or mod. :)

You can learn some BMX tricks and throw them into your riding, but no-one's making you do it. Aener on here, owns an onza zoot, and he rides more traditional trials on it. Although he does occasionally have his chris akrigg style nuts moments.

TOPIC STEAL

Running 18-14 at the mo, and really fancy a harder gear, went to the skate park the other day and I couldn't clear the box for shit because i couldn't build up enough speed, all the riders there were supprised by how high i was going but still couldn't clear the box, I used to piss all over it on the bmx due to speed, even missed the whole land ramp once.

So what to do? Will 18-13 be a better comprimise of being more usefull in a park, but still being able to do some more "hoppy" stuff. Or do i just go the full hog and get a 12 and just build up power in my legs? Dave how do you find 18-13?

Edited by Simpson

I usually run 18:14, but after snapping a chain on Sunday I had to stick it into 18:13 for the rest of the day and wasn't a fan. I tend to ride quite a lot of slower stuff so it's nice to have a slightly lighter gear there for that, though I'm sure I could get used to it after a few rides if needs be.

If you want it all round and ride a bit ore park then go for it - you can always change it back if needs be ;)

Going to go ride some park on it later I think, see how it feels for that. Marshall seems to like it and does pretty well with it though!

18-13 is more than hard enough. I used 22-16, which is 1.375, for a while, and it was possible to do hoppy stuff, but not massively easy. 18-13 is harder than that though.

So do i just stick with 18-14 and hope for tail winds at the park? because I still love doing the dirty S word on my inspired.

Sex?

Erm... you might want to try 13, if you can get it for free, just to see what it's like, but it will be mighty stiff. I found that I was too used to 22-17 that when I got on my back wheel, it used to put me off because it was like doing everything up a slope.

What would the equivalent of 22:19 be with an 18t up front?

The equivalent gearing (so feeling the same) on a 24" to 22:19 gearing on a stock will be 18:14 (Y)

The closest ratio would be 18:16 or so, but that's not taking into account the change in wheelsize

Edit; this is assuming you're meaning the equivalent of 22:19 on a stock, else you'll be waaaaaaaaay too spinny!