Best Way To Spend £100 On My Bird?

Maladie

Hey there,

Well I want to spend just £100 of the £300 birthday money i got aswell as my bike.

I've had it for only about 3 weeks but I feel i need to change something already.

I already made a thread about which wheels should I buy, and everyone said that I shouldn't buy wheels altogether.

So I thought maybe: New forks/breaks/grips/levers?

Cheers,

new tyres maxxis creepys will ast you for ages new grips if you find your hands are hurintg and cranks to trial tech i think they make cranks do they ?

new tyres maxxis creepys will ast you for ages new grips if you find your hands are hurintg and cranks to trial tech i think they make cranks do they ?

The bike cape with Crawlers on it :) And should i get foam grips, would you reccomend them? Because i have callisters and blisters all over my hands.

And i'm not sure if i do but i've heard someone before say to get better cranks, could you have a look and tell me which ones would be adequate?

Cheers,

Id say in this order.

1. Bars

2. Forks

3. Brake's (if its the model that comes with the disk and the rear vee)

4. Stem

5. Rear wheel/drive (so either shift to ffw or a decent free hub)

6. Cranks

Then the rest is just to 'pimp' the bike. Thats the way I went with my t-bird near enough anyway. Little thinks like pads etc are pretty important as well! All this depends on your level of riding anyway, there's no need to upgrade the brakes/cranks if your just learning. The only reason you would have to change any of the bike is for weight/strength. Neither of those would be a problem starting up, unless your really small/light or big/heavy in which a light/strong bike would benefit!

Edited by BenLeacock™

I'd suggest Trial-Tech Bars, Stem and Pedals. which comes to 98 which leaves you a couple of quid for foam grips.

If you wanted to change the cranks you'd have to get the free wheel off the rear wheel, buy cranks, bash guard and front and rear cogs.

doesnt need to change frosk , best tihng is get used to the heavy stuff and by lighter later on!

Explain? Im not saying your wrong but just don't see how you can say how its not important to change the forks, which will make the bike ride completely different and properly better.

Am I wrong in thinking the trialtech mod stem is the same geo as the onza?

Id say in this order.

1. Bars

2. Forks

3. Brake's (if its the model that comes with the disk and the rear vee)

4. Stem

5. Rear wheel/drive (so either shift to ffw or a decent free hub)

6. Cranks

Then the rest is just to 'pimp' the bike. Thats the way I went with my t-bird near enough anyway. Little thinks like pads etc are pretty important as well! All this depends on your level of riding anyway, there's no need to upgrade the brakes/cranks if your just learning. The only reason you would have to change any of the bike is for weight/strength. Neither of those would be a problem starting up, unless your really small/light or big/heavy in which a light/strong bike would benefit!

Thankyou mate, that's a great help! :)

Sounds like a really good order to get things in thinking about it now.

And one more thing, i don't want to go FFW and you said a *decent* free-hub,

What would you say is a good free-hub, something like an echo (£56.27) on Tarty, or would i have to spend more?

Thanks

What would you say is a good free-hub, something like an echo (£56.27) on Tarty, or would i have to spend more?

Thanks

Those hubs seem to be a bit 'iffy', i suppose they'd be ok for a beginner though. Don't forget though if you change you're hub you'll need to change your cranks too, which will lead to changing your BB too, and you rear wheel as you'll probably get a new rims and spokes, so it's a lot to upgrade. (Y)

Thanks

FFw is far superior to the majority of free-hubs.

Echo's are renowned for removing peoples teeth.

If you want a free hub you should look at either Profile or King neither are cheap.

profile hub :D

Hmm, but they are £140 and I was wondering what things i can buy with £100.

Those hubs seem to be a bit 'iffy', i suppose they'd be ok for a beginner though. Don't forget though if you change you're hub you'll need to change your cranks too, which will lead to changing your BB too, and you rear wheel as you'll probably get a new rims and spokes, so it's a lot to upgrade.

Cheeers for the heads up (Y)

Edited by Horndean Trials

best to learn on heavy stuff but i didnt ride long enough to experience what different forks do.

Not to keen on buying new forks, don't see any point in it really. What is it going to do, save 30g?

I would just love for there to be a hub that is in between an Echo and a Profile, costs around £80, is quite loud and is decently made.

I would just love for there to be a hub that is in between an Echo and a Profile, costs around £80, is quite loud and is decently made.

hmm it'll probably be the worst 80 pounds you could spend, especially when you loose all your front teeth, which you will

all i'd really change is rear pads and possibly your bar/stem combo, save the rest for when something goes wrong or a bigger upgrade like a freehub/fixed wheel and front freewheel

also keep an eye on your rear hub cones, they never seem to last long

hmm it'll probably be the worst 80 pounds you could spend, especially when you loose all your front teeth, which you will

all i'd really change is rear pads and possibly your bar/stem combo, save the rest for when something goes wrong or a bigger upgrade like a freehub/fixed wheel and front freewheel

also keep an eye on your rear hub cones, they never seem to last long

Thankyou for the help mate, like I said before though, never been too kean on the FFW idea.

By the way, off-topic but do you remember me from that ride in Cosham? (I was the guy on the bird obviously, Tom's mate ;))

Grind your rear rim and get some decent v-pads, CNC heatsink pads? About £20.

Trialtech bars :), get them second hand off here if you can find one. They go for about £30 ish, then get some trialtech foam grips, £6.

Stems, look for something in For Sale section such as echo team or trialtech sport stems, you might be able to them about £20ish. They have less rise than your current stem but nice riser bars with headset spacers will raise the bars up a little.

If you can splash out a bit more, you could change the forks but the only advantage is save a bit of weight and maybe strength depending on which ones you buy. Curved forks will also increase your wheelbase by a few mm, 5-10mm maybe. If you don't mind the forks, spend some on other little things like cheap but grippy pedals or a chainstay protector?

EDIT: FFW is less hassle than a freehub, if they go wrong and you need to replace it you have to debuild you wheel which is annoying. FFW you just take cranks off and unscrew it. The deng range of freehubs are known to skip, search the forum you'll find a few topics on them.

Edited by weirdoku

get rear mag and some sexy tnn crm pads and a grind

That's like £60 there already, £30 on pads and £30 on second hand maggy, not to mention the annoying evo mounts and ugly booster thing you ahve to put on. V-brakes aren't that bad. A grind and decent pads will really improve the hold.