Heatsink Or Phatpad

hdmackay

What do you prefer?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Heatsink CNC'd Backings or Phatpad CNC Backings

• Heatsink CNC'd Backings
    • Phatpad CNC Backings

Hi guys,

I am going to be getting new pads soon and I have decided to get Phatpads. However i'm not sure what backings to get. Can people please tell what they prefer and why? I have heard that the Phat backings are slimmer so when there isn't much pad material left you might have to sand down your prongs? But i've also heard that the Heatsink ones are very tight and can snap/ crack your pistons?

It will be more expensive to get the Heatsink ones as I will have to pay £20 for the backings and then £12 for the Phat material but I'm not sure what ones would be better to get?

Thanks guys

Hunter

I suppose. I thought it was only really stock bikes that you needed to sand down the material to get it to fit? Because of the way some of them are set up the cranks hit off the pistons. Don't see it happening on mods.

Everyone's going to give there "this > that" opinion but try it out, you can't go wrong with either CNC backings, much stiffer than plastic.  Personally I'm very happy with the Phat pads but Heatsink pads are great also...

Phat pad backings, The slimmer profile means you don't have to shave any material off the pads to fit in the mounts like you do with heatsinks, You wont have to sand the prongs down because you dont just adjust the tpa

I'm pretty sure if you want to get all the material out of the pads, youeither need to use the TPA a lot, or over bleed it, or just file/sand the prongs down, otherwise they'll catch the rim.

It's not hard at all anway, it means you can set the slaves in closer to the rim, and you can use up all the material in the pads without having to do the TPA up and put up with a brake that rubs all the time because the pads don't return to the same spot every time.

I'd go for PhatPads unless with your current rim/frame unless you need to set the slaves quite close in with new pads in plastic backings, in which case I'd get Heatsink backings, so when the pads do wear down you've still got the room to move them in.

After 4 years and then suddenly 2 competitors to the HSB CNC backings come out at the same time! Nothing like competition though. It's a powerful driving influence as I review the design of my backings for future tweaks, as I'm sure the competition have had a thorough look at my backings to help launch their designs.

cropped240.jpg

I think that during the years of absence of competition I've sat back and not promoted the HSB CNC backings as much as I could of. With a unique product it has been pointed out to me that I could have sold them for more, but being greedy is not what HSB is about. In a nut shell, now in 2009 they are the most successful and proven CNC Magura backing in the world. Sold globally for the past 4 years and as famously used by Aurelien Fontenoy to win many World and European Trials championships from the point I started supplying him with them back in 2005. Being the most proven design is the HSB backing strength. A great starting point for future refinements!

Watch out for the HSB CNC backings gen2 coming later this year!

Steve

Ive ran cnc heatsink pads and backings for years........never had any problems with piston failure ...like prongs snaping ect ect...

in all fairness just get mikes phat pads and backings in one hit......saves alot of messing around...and will work out less expensive than getting mikes compound and steves cnc heatsink backing.....running phat material with hsb cnc backings ul most probably have to cut a few mm of each pad to run nice once set up on your bike .

i voted phat pads just because its less hasttle

but like ive said never ever had any problems with the hsb cnc backings

Edited by Dave Anscombe

everyone is just going to vote what ever they run, so this topic is kinda pointless. who wants to admit they wasted £25 when they could have got better pads for the money lol

on the other hand i have a set of heatsinks and have had a few and am now running phats, and phats are much better, the end

Only thing thats on par with phat pads are indeed HEATSINK REDS :P

I've noticed your huge love for them! >_<

I run Heatsinks and there great. Run them front and back and they have lasted ages. Set on the back have gone threw 5+ different sets of material and the front 3 sets. Truely impressed by them.

WHen you get brand new refills, do you have to cut the material down a bit?

If there Heatsink refills you dont have to cut them. But if your putting pads that used to be in plastic backing in then you have to cut them a little amount. Its piss easy though, Just dont cut too much off and glue them in well and they will work perfectly.

If there Heatsink refills you dont have to cut them. But if your putting pads that used to be in plastic backing in then you have to cut them a little amount. Its piss easy though, Just dont cut too much off and glue them in well and they will work perfectly.

Is there more material on the powerpad ones?

And what do you use to cut it down?

Only thing thats on par with phat pads are indeed HEATSINK REDS :P

Yep me an Dave are in total agreements which pads, the 3 componds you should use are.

- Phat Pads

- Heatsink Reds

- Rimjam V3's (without the backings)

But there both cnc, ive owned both (which may people voting wouldnt have, (same for dave)) and i cant notice the difference between, powerpad / hsb cnc'ed / phat pads cnced / anything (just not rimjam V3 cnc'ed backings, or the very very early plaz ones). There all fine. Just get the phat pads in 1 foul sweep.