Computer 'popping' Noise Coming From The Speakers.

totaltrials

A popping sound is coming out of my speakers on my computer (like when you put your thumb in your mouth then pop it out making a noise).

I don't have a clue what it is. I've searched to try and find out but all I get is people saying there's not enough power coming to the computer which is what the noise is from the speakers but I think it's something else as it's happening on my home computer and my shop computer.

I've turned the windows sounds off in the sound manager and done plenty of virus checks on AVG and windows malicious software reomoval tool with no viruses.

Sometimes it does it quite a lot and sometimes it won't do it for a few hours. It's not just when I've got music playing or videos playing, it'll do it when the speakers arn't even playing anything.

It's really annoying me now and it just needs to go. Anybody have any ideas or experience with it?

Thanks.

New windows live messenger?

I'm using the windows Live messenger, but I think it does it when I'm not logged on anyway.

I know its basic but have you checked all your connections? Does it do a lil whir then a pop pop pop?

Check all the basics first.

My only connection is my internet. It's just a pop noise, sounds like an actual pop, pretty much exactly the same noise as when you flick your thumb out of your mouth. Infact just done it and it's the same noise.

not takin the piss like...but is it interference from your mobile phone..?

haha, nah it's ok. It's not an interferance noise from my phone.

Just tried putting the system on mute then. First waited for a pop then put it on mute after it. Didn't get any popping noise for 10 minutes, then took it off mute and I got a pop after about 30 seconds of doing that. So it's defo coming from the the system and not a problem with the speakers or power.

Edited by totaltrials

i had the same with my logitech x-530 speakers at first the were so shit and not worth the £45.. making popping noises every so often, humming noise if the speakers were turned down/too loud and stupid foreign interference. but it seems now this has all gone away apart from the occasional pop, just give it time. i did however look it up at the time, it something to do with "grounding" which is a process taken during the manufacture of the speakers i think. so your speakers may have poor grounding like mine did, if your lucky it will go away however its worth searching for existing problems similar to that on the net. depends what make the speakers are, there may be a forum of such that you can ask about.

hope this helped (Y)

I've done that after you said, checked each connection. I think that'd make a crackling noise if it was that but it's a clear distinctive popping noise.

It's something from the computer because it doesn't do it when the sound is set to mute. That's as far as I've got. It's driving me crazy.

I've done that after you said, checked each connection. I think that'd make a crackling noise if it was that but it's a clear distinctive popping noise.

It's something from the computer because it doesn't do it when the sound is set to mute. That's as far as I've got. It's driving me crazy.

totally ignore my valuable post then

i had the same with my logitech x-530 speakers at first the were so shit and not worth the £45.. making popping noises every so often, humming noise if the speakers were turned down/too loud and stupid foreign interference. but it seems now this has all gone away apart from the occasional pop, just give it time. i did however look it up at the time, it something to do with "grounding" which is a process taken during the manufacture of the speakers i think. so your speakers may have poor grounding like mine did, if your lucky it will go away however its worth searching for existing problems similar to that on the net. depends what make the speakers are, there may be a forum of such that you can ask about.

hope this helped (Y)

At first I thought it was something to do with the speakers, but it happens on both computers and they're using different speakers. And it seemed like they both started doing it around the same time, so surely it can't be the speakers. The only connection between both the computers is an external hard drive which has been on both computers.

Again, not trying to sound like a dick, but facebook makes that kinda sound when someone speaks to you/the lil red notification pops up. Also if something pops up on your toolbar it makes the same pop (for me anyways).

Could it be any of these?

My mums speakers do it exactly like you said - her soundcard is naffed. When on mute it does nothing, but with it un muted and nothing being played it pops.

New internal/external soundcard for her, might be the same for you?

the popping noise is usually caused due to a blown tweeter within the actual speaker its self, i know you said you have checked the connections but did you check the connections inside that connect the wire end to the cone?

the popping can be caused by putting to much bass through them or just typical wear and tear

hope that helps

Again, not trying to sound like a dick, but facebook makes that kinda sound when someone speaks to you/the lil red notification pops up. Also if something pops up on your toolbar it makes the same pop (for me anyways).

Exactly what I was gong to suggest. Facebook makes a mouth pop noise.

It's not facebook, it does it when I'm not on facebook and I just don't get that many updates for the amount of pops I get.

Are your speakers near a fridge or freezer?

My speakers pop every so often based on the turning on/off of the fridge freezer, I think it's a pretty common problem.

I know what you mean, when I switch my lights off my tv speakers make a little pop for a split second, it's not that kind of thing though.

My mums speakers do it exactly like you said - her soundcard is naffed. When on mute it does nothing, but with it un muted and nothing being played it pops.

New internal/external soundcard for her, might be the same for you?

Have you actually put a new sound card in and fixed the problem?

the popping noise is usually caused due to a blown tweeter within the actual speaker its self, i know you said you have checked the connections but did you check the connections inside that connect the wire end to the cone?

the popping can be caused by putting to much bass through them or just typical wear and tear

hope that helps

I'll borrow some speakers and try them on my computer, but I really don't think it's a problem with the speakers. I don't want to sound like I'm throwing peoples advice back in their faces but it's different to the kind of popping you'd get from knackered speakers, but i'll try some others speakers anyway.

Thanks for everyone who's replied so far too.

Have you actually put a new sound card in and fixed the problem?

She uses my external firewire interface now untill she gets a new internal soundcard. No popping out of it, and the speakers are fine.

It went within a day which was the worrying thing, NO MORE NOISIA! :(