Innovation In Trials

tryallmaster

basically, 10 years time, bikes will be so light you cant feel them, so everyone will quit, then someone will find a old cannondale and start riding old school, bring back the sport, then it will evolve like it has, then break down again and go in circles until the end of the world, so yeah, the super humans of the future will at one point or another be riding a replica martyn ashton cannondale.

or

bmx

Na economys of scale will always be the same. I hope braking improves for sure, a brake you can put on and will work for everyone.

+1

Specially tuned springs that allow you to preload to increase height of ups, taps, hooks, sidehops etc...

And noooo to the risc brake. Too problematic in a sport where buckled rims are inevitable and where rotational mass should be kept to a minimum to increase acceleration.

Deffinately will happen eventually.

the seat is going to make a come back (Y)

Absolutely

seats will make a come-back, ohhh yes, they'll be back!

Possibly some lightweight suspension system for higher hops

Tubeless tyres

more frame with Vee mounts (well, we can only hope!)

More carbon

thats what I think anyway.

+1 to all of this.....

Yep, everyone will use proper (disc) brakes :P

Seeing as he has lots of experience in the market, Adam is probably right here, just gotta get cheaper.

I have been thinking of developing a hub with an internal drum brake, drum brakes have a self srevo action that means you could get extremely good hold on a brake.....................

Matt

Air Sprung frames :ermm:

If this product did make it into the trials scene proper would'nt it just destroy the whole point of trials.

In the sense that we all practice and practice to perfect our preloads and so on to get higher , wouldn't air srpung frames destroy this aspect of trials and we all be as good as one and another?.

I look at better riders and see the moves and highs that are possible and I,m inspired to try harder, now if we was all as good as one and another would there be a real sense of determation to carry on????

As once said Magura at some point have to come to terms that people are water bleeding there brakes, and pull there finger out and design a brake which will survive this type of bleed.

I believe this super light bike fad with brittle materails will fade into the background, and slighty heavy but stronger bikes will become the norm.???

I have been thinking of developing a hub with an internal drum brake, drum brakes have a self srevo action that means you could get extremely good hold on a brake.....................

Matt

Only problem with drum brakes is the servo style locking action will only be in one direction unless you go for opposite hinging directions for the 2 pads, but you'll still be almost certainly left with a bit of slip on direction changes. Drums also tend to be very heavy compared to disks. I had a try of the Shimano Nexave drum brakes a while ago and they're inadequate for use on the front wheel for ordinary road use. Not that they were designed for trials of course, but drums tend to be great drag brakes, but not so good for sharp, quick response or locking wheels.

Consistent brakes would be a huge improvement in trials and moving to a fully enclosed system is a promising way to go about it - no more worry about wet/oil contamination :)...

Air Sprung frames :ermm:

If this product did make it into the trials scene proper would'nt it just destroy the whole point of trials.

In the sense that we all practice and practice to perfect our preloads and so on to get higher , wouldn't air srpung frames destroy this aspect of trials and we all be as good as one and another?.

I look at better riders and see the moves and highs that are possible and I,m inspired to try harder, now if we was all as good as one and another would there be a real sense of determation to carry on????

As once said Magura at some point have to come to terms that people are water bleeding there brakes, and pull there finger out and design a brake which will survive this type of bleed.

I believe this super light bike fad with brittle materails will fade into the background, and slighty heavy but stronger bikes will become the norm.???

So if every rider had an air sprung bike we would all ride to the same skill level? A bit like we are all riding rigid bikes so we all ride those the same too? I fail to see your logic!

An end to loose chains, belt drive or something along those lines.

Different ways of mounting parts, threads are too easy to strip for some people.

More ergonomically designed frames, removing the seat and excessive frame for a seat was a massive step, and benefits the street beasts and world championship class riders, but think how much more Benito could tuck and therefore get higher if the frame was designed to fit around his as he tucked?

25" rear rims and tyres coming back in and becoming the norm for stock?

I can't see that happening, ever.

but think how much more Benito could tuck and therefore get higher if the frame was designed to fit around his as he tucked?

If you look at Benito, he doesn't 'tuck' in the same way all the fashion kids do. He sorta brings it up and pushes it sideways, so he's like crouching next to his frame, rather than looking like he's trying to f**k his BB. Kinda hard to explain in text, but if you watch any video with him sending a good height sidehop, you'll spot the difference pretty easily.

I can't see that happening, ever.

Why not though? 19" rear rim with big air volume tyre on mod has been standard for years. I reckon if more manufacturers had jumped on it when Monty did it back in '02 or whenever it could've worked. Now there are so many trials specific manufacturers it'd only take Deng and Koxx to give it a whirl for Maxxis to start producing a trials specific tyre in 25". The more common use of rear discs also lends itself to the reduction of hassle in implementing it.

because its silly.

You're silly.

It seems kinda sensible to me though! It works in mototrials, it works on mods so why shouldn't it work on stock trials?! I'm not saying I'd want a 23" rear rim on my Inspired but for most 26" trials (natural and street) I don't see why it'd be such a bad thing :(.

You're silly.

It seems kinda sensible to me though! It works in mototrials, it works on mods so why shouldn't it work on stock trials?! I'm not saying I'd want a 23" rear rim on my Inspired but for most 26" trials (natural and street) I don't see why it'd be such a bad thing :(.

And I laughed........... :lol:

Matt

Guest itstroy08

Knewmatic, Hydrolic and wireless brakes.

The lever sends a signal to the calliper which uses air to push against the hydrolic piston casuing the pads to move.

So if every rider had an air sprung bike we would all ride to the same skill level? A bit like we are all riding rigid bikes so we all ride those the same too? I fail to see your logic!

hhhmmmm lol true . Total fail lol

Why not though? 19" rear rim with big air volume tyre on mod has been standard for years. I reckon if more manufacturers had jumped on it when Monty did it back in '02 or whenever it could've worked. Now there are so many trials specific manufacturers it'd only take Deng and Koxx to give it a whirl for Maxxis to start producing a trials specific tyre in 25". The more common use of rear discs also lends itself to the reduction of hassle in implementing it.

Mods pretty much had a smaller rear wheel right from the start, so it wasn't a case of creating some kind of proprietrary product like Monty did a few years ago, then hoping it catches on. It might be better to have a slightly smaller rear wheel for stocks, but I can't see it making much of a difference. Look at how the Monty ones worked out? In competition they didn't appear to give riders much of an advantage, so without really providing that advantage, and with it being unlikely riders would be willing to buy a frame that'd mean they'd also have to buy a new rim (With limited options) and tyre (again, with limited options), I don't think it'll happen.

I think integration of parts is something we might see more of at some point.

Brake calipers built into the frame.

Front freewheel cranks that use an integrated driver rather then screw on freewheel. Might also be a 2pc crank.

Bottom brackets similar to the BB30 system, maybe for the above 2pc crank.

Non of them 100% fresh ideas but I could see them happening based on current trends in the MTB world.