Innovation In Trials

tryallmaster

Ok, trials bikes have definitely changed since I began 9 years ago...

Lighter, longer, stronger...

Also all componants have become modified specifically for trials.

In 10 years time what do you think a trials bike will have that it doesnt have today???

Will componants change? Braking systems? Materials?

Ill start the ball rolling... I think that in 10 years it would be normal to have a frame that is measured to fit e.g like a snowboard.

It would be interesting to see what people say...

Cheers,

Lewis.

Ill start the ball rolling... I think that in 10 years it would be normal to have a frame that is measured to fit e.g like a snowboard.

Na economys of scale will always be the same. I hope braking improves for sure, a brake you can put on and will work for everyone.

doubt it, custom geos are available already but alot of people will not know what geometry they would require, companies spend alot of money finding an "ideal" geometry for a style of riding. there more than enough for your average joe and when you have bikes with alot of CNCed components changing the geo will need each part of cnced frame to be re-designed. i think.

it'd be nicer to see more riders, more demand and as a result more companies with moar competition meaning cheaper gear :D

Edited by ogre

Na economys of scale will always be the same. I hope braking improves for sure, a brake you can put on and will work for everyone.

Im sure there will be economies of scale. The sport is obviously growing rapidly (since I was i Australia for a year the sport grew by 25%!)

So, like snowboards when a new frame is released there will be multiple sizes and demand for them in the market. They dont make shoes in one size.

I think the risc brake should take off. And yes, a better tensioner/freewheel system

gallery_6934_2067_123537.jpg

better :mellow:

more seriously

better brake; more like a disk brake than a rim brake... something strong but progressive

better tensioner/freewheel

new geo... something as good in natty comp than in harsh street(I don't know how though)

Augmented reality glasses that tell you distances of gaps, height angle of surfaces. Their inbuilt Internet access will be streaming videos of riders on similar obstacles projected straight onto your retinas. Obviously.

- cleat belt instead chain ( it was tested some years ago in bikes )

- maguras with water recommended ( without seals problems )

- antysnake gas/talk system

- freewheels with 500 engagements without making sounds ( like old LX Silent Clutch )

- different material of rim walls - no need to grind it all the time. It should be sharp for months, not 4 weeks

- single front tube in frame for sure.

Edited by Rafal

- cleat belt instead chain ( it was tested some years ago in bikes )

- maguras with water recommended ( no problems with seals)

- antysnake gas/talk system

- freewheels with 500 engagements without making sounds ( like old LX Silent Clutch )

- different material of rim walls - no need to grind it all the time. It should be sharp for months, not 4 weeks

- single front tube in frame for sure.

+1

But the maggy thing

Water doesn't affect it that quick. maybe after like 3+ years :lol:

In reality there probably won't be a great difference. Although trends change frequently I can't see any major improvements. Saying that, if somethings new then I feel the placebo affect plays a lot in peoples opinions.

So, like snowboards when a new frame is released there will be multiple sizes and demand for them in the market. They dont make shoes in one size.

To be fair, MTBs and BMXs come in different sizes.

IMO, the focus at the moment is incredibly biased towards making what's available now lighter, rather than creating anything legitimately new or unique. It's all catalogue stuff that's then drilled to within an inch of it's life (Or even closer, in most cases. Looking at the Koxx front drill-o-matic disc hub there...), so until that attitude changes nothing's going to really improve or progress.

There was something like that being tested a fair while ago called Singapore Stop. The sidewalls of the rim had a sharp knurled surface. Not sure how the testing went.

There was something like that being tested a fair while ago called Singapore Stop. The sidewalls of the rim had a sharp knurled surface. Not sure how the testing went.

Some versions apparently only really held one way. The others seemed to just utterly rinse pads. From what I remember, the main problem was the cost of it 'cos they were all machined out like that so obviously it takes a bit longer to make than a regular brushed rim surface. Similarly, once it's started wearing off a bit it's going to lose it's efficiency, then you're pretty much going to need a new rim 'cos trying to grind a weirdly surfaced rim would be balls...