Speed Camera?

Boswell

Was passing a speed camera in the early hours of yesterday morning which I'm pritty sure I passed going 30mph and it flashed me. Another car was passing in the opposite direction, am I right in thinking the other car could have set it off?

Edited by I like #!

Ever stood by a speed camera late at night with a camera flash?

No?

just me then :P

EDIT: On a more constructive note, if you wern't speeding there wont be a problem.

On a side note, my friend hasn't received anything yet *fingers crossed*

Edited by Simpson

Doesn't matter if it flashed on your side or not if you was going 30. If the car on other side of the road was just a little bit to wide or across he would of set it off.

I aim to do it all the time, keeps me amused in boring 30mph stretch's of road. :P

they can flash because of someone at the other side of the road... happed to me.

a one got me on the other side aswell.

my mate had to go on a driving weekend because he was caught speeding (its either that or 3 points) and theres around 36 cameras in this council and he said only 12 at any one time work. but they all flash.

but they all flash.

Pretty sure they don't, we used to have one of those radar detectors and it didn't pick up the empty ones, and I managed to go 60 through a 50 one thinking it was a 60 and it didn't flash. But yeah, there are a lot of empty ones around, just the box is enough of a deterrent for most people.

As far as I'm aware, gatso's (old school cameras, square lenses, normal camera film in them) will flash at on-coming traffic, although they aren't supposed to, and as a result, they cannot prosecute you from a head on photo. However the more modern digital cameras (taller narrower box, round lense) will do you wherever you are and whichever direction you are travelling, they also may not flash at all even if they have got you.

So yeah, it could have flashed at the car coming the other way (seen it happen loads on my commute where there's a head on camera right where a 30 turns to a 70).

Alternatively, it could have ballsed up and flashed you, my advice would be that if something does come through the post, and you're sure you weren't breaking the law, then ask to see proof, ask to see the photo's to see what distance you've travelled in the time delay between the 2 shots, and ask when the camera was last calibrated. Make sure you're always being nice, calm, and genuine, don't seem pissed off, just explain you genuinely believe there was a mistake and that you'd like to find out how it could have happened. You don't wanna give them the impression you're just trying to wriggle your way out of it.

It's what the weird little lines on the road are for, to distinguish which car made the camera flash.

The speed camera takes a couple of photos when triggered, this time is always the same, so you have two photos in a given time, the lines give you an indication of distance so you can work out how far the car has travelled in the photos, then using your basic formula triangle (distance divided by time) speed is worked out and obviously whether you was in the right or wrong will save you here.

I've set one off multiple times because of speeding towards it, there's no dashes on the road on my side so I've never been fined. They need the white dashes on the road otherwise it's pointless them trying to fine you, you could just say there was a possibility the camera was calibrated incorrectly.

The gatso's still can't get you head on, even if there is dash's on your lane. And you can still ask to check if it was calibrated right even if there is dash's, what's to say the time delay between the photos was calibrated right ;)

I think that the Gatso's are not allowed to take pictures when your driving towards them, because effectively when the camera flashes, it would be flashing at you and could cause you to swurve because for a brief period you may be blinded. So for that reason they just don't do it.

On a similar subject, Last week I was driving down a dual carriageway (50 limit) I was doing 57-60, I completely forgot that it was a 50 as i was on a dual carriageway. Anyway, I saw the markers on the ground my brain quickly engaged and I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the camera flash. I only saw 1 flash, and have been told that if a Gatso flashes once it means there's no film in it, but it still goes off. It's been just over a week now about 7 working days and I've not had anything through the post.

What do you guys think?

expecta friendly letter from HMSCU within 28 days i believe?

if you haven't after that you're free and can't be prosectuted for the offence as it has become null due to delay

but unless you have points already i wouldn't really worry too much. unless you need a clean licence for work/applying for jobs.

Got a letter today. will post it back tomorrow and see what the outcome is. It say's I was doing 58 in 50. Which I'd agree with. I have no point's currently, and have just got a new job starting in September, but I don't know if having 3 points will be an issue to drive their vehicles. Will have to see, I may be lucky and be offered to do this driver awarness course, doubtful though.

Currently awaiting a letter to drop through my door, no idea on the speed really, except i think it was rather high, heres hoping for 3 points, as opposed to a summons for more points/a ban.only trouble is a lad was killed in the same spot by a speeding driver about 6 months ago (not quite the same,as the speeding driver had no insurance, tax, or license, and it was a hit and run, leaving the lad on the road to be run over by another car about a minute later) so i think if it goes to court, i may get the proverbial book thrown at me.

expecta friendly letter from HMSCU within 28 days i believe?

if you haven't after that you're free and can't be prosectuted for the offence as it has become null due to delay

but unless you have points already i wouldn't really worry too much. unless you need a clean licence for work/applying for jobs.

You sure about the 28 day thing? I was under that impression too but wanted to check.

I went through a speed camera near Devils Bridge in North Yorkshire when I was following my mate. He went through at about 80 and I managed to brake down to about 60-65. He says it flashed him on his motorbike but I didn't see if it got me.

That was about 3 months ago now. We've both got small number plates on which could (I guess?) make a difference but maybe we were super lucky and it had no film in?

Good job if that's the case as I've already got 6 points and any more would KILL me! :(

You sure about the 28 day thing? I was under that impression too but wanted to check.

It's 14 days they have to issue the NIP. Only deviation from that is if you're in a hire car when they have to get your details from the hire company first... Unfortunately I know this through personal experience :(. Hertz even charged me an extra £80 for the extra paperwork involved. Wonderful.

I think after 3 months you can 100% safely say you got off with that one!

I went past a copper in a side road the other day doing about 55 in a 40, and the pulled out and I thought they were following me, but after about 5 miles of them doing nothing I turned off and they carried on.

Scary as f**k though, I've only got 6 points to be going at!

EDIT: Bear in mind this was on a Sunday afternoon on one of the most popular riding roads round here, and they're really clamping down on bikes round here now. (I have the Cat and Fiddle, Snake Pass, Long Hill, Buxton-Leek road right on my doorstep).

Edited by Muel

I went past a copper in a side road the other day doing about 55 in a 40, and the pulled out and I thought they were following me, but after about 5 miles of them doing nothing I turned off and they carried on.

Scary as f**k though, I've only got 6 points to be going at!

EDIT: Bear in mind this was on a Sunday afternoon on one of the most popular riding roads round here, and they're really clamping down on bikes round here now. (I have the Cat and Fiddle, Snake Pass, Long Hill, Buxton-Leek road right on my doorstep).

I got caught on the way back from fort bill... I saw the flashing lights behind and just prayed it went zooming by me when I pulled over.... fail. Court was fun though.... met some really nice people :/ To quote one of the guys there "Eh I da even know why i'm here... i'm normaly over at the other court, wonder what i'v done this time"