Topic's Being Closed A Lot Recently

RobinJI

Just a bit of constructive criticism about something I've been noticing recently a lot on this forum.

Not having a dig, I'm just pointing out something I've begun to notice recently, but basically, on this forum, if there's a problem in a topic, it tends to get closed. Fair enough, if people are being tit's they're being tit's, something need's doing about it, and it's good that something's been done; the thing is, on other forums, the childish/offensive/provocative posts would be removed, or edited, and the topic could continue to get back on topic and run its course. Where as here it tends to just get shut, which to a certain extent can be a little annoying to the people genuinely interested in the on-topic bits.

Obviously I'm not talking about topics that are stupid in the first place, just ones that start innocently enough, then run off course.

Anyway, that's my 2 cent's worth, not expecting/wanting a big discussion, just thought I'd point out my observations. If nothing changes, meh, it's still a good forum that generally runs well, if something happens, then cool.

Cheers.

You're right...

However, a lot of the topics that have been closed recently are rule violations - spam, discussing illegal downloads... and there's the topic with the video in that should've been in BOTI. Although that could've been merged with BOTI instead of closed.

Only ones in the past few pages in this part of the forum that have been closed were the ones that Joshlyd1 started that were toss, one about illegally downloading music, one that was a video that should've been in the B.o.t.I. thread, something that was shit/should've been in the Random Questions thread, and one that... I don't even know what that was, think it was some story thread that the original poster asked to have closed?

I don't really get what else should be done, to be honest? If mods start merging individual topics like the ones that should be in the BOTI or RSW threads, then people are just going to do it more and more, whereas if they're closed then people are more likely to actually start putting them in the right place?

EDIT: Although ironically I did just delete a thread, haha.

Yeah, nah, I agree completely with most of that to be honest, all the ones that should have been put in BOTI should just be closed, along with the illegal download one and stuff. Only one I've spotted recently was the one about flatland BMX's, admittedly he was being/is a tit, but he was looking for honest advice. It's not really something that's been happening lots recently, it's more that I've only thought about it and noticed it as anything but the norm recently, just seems to be the way this forums works, I cant really think when the last time I saw an individual post deleted rather than a topic closed was.

Meh, not wanting to start an argument, and I'm really not having a go, or wanting to make enemy's, just saying what I've noticed, generally this is a good forum, and all the mods do a really good job, so I'm in no way complaining, at all, just saying there's another option that seems to sometimes go overlooked.

But yeah, you're right, it is a rare occurrence that it happens, so meh.

grr

Just like with FatPants and Hannah Shucksmith before, there comes a point where you've got to draw a line where people taking the piss out of someone pretty much just becomes bullying, which is fully what the whole Joshlyd1 thing had become. Yes, he's a dick, but anti-Josh avatars and 'hallelujah' threads for him apparently leaving are a bit out of order.

I cant really think when the last time I saw an individual post deleted rather than a topic closed was.

I think that's possibly because the moderation on here is actually pretty effective - there are quite a few reports every day, so a lot of stuff gets nipped in the bud. As I just said with the whole joshlyd1 thing, that topic was never really going to go back on track purely because of his attitude towards other people, and other people's attitudes towards him. Other than that, I'd usually have tried to trim it back a bit and keep it open, but I couldn't really see that happening in that instance.

Defiantly, I really agree with that, I'm not saying let them get away with it at all, I'm all for doing something about it. I guess I just mean that the way it's handled on this forum tends to be to close the entire topic, as opposed to removing just the dodgy posts, and letting the rest of the thread carry on.

Just read the second half of your last post (sneaky edit ;)) and all I have to say is "fair enough, that makes sense (Y) "

Edited by RobinJI

See, I agree with you mark. But the only reason why I was acting all cocky and harsh to him, was because I had the exact done to me, if not some of it was worse. He was immature to me, im immature back.

You could always be the more mature one, instead of sinking to his level.

We all know he posts retarded crap, no need for you to copy it.

You could always be the more mature one, instead of sinking to his level.

We all know he posts retarded crap, no need for you to copy it.

What Mike said, pretty much.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Could someone quick link to a topic explaining or fill me in on who joshlyd1 is.

Chaaars.

These are his posts - should give you an idea of his loving personality and winning smile that led to so many people enjoying his company on here.

Can i just say , Mark is a fair person . Threads get deleted for a reason.

:)

Vicious sarcasm? :shifty:

What Mike said, pretty much.

These are his posts - should give you an idea of his loving personality and winning smile that led to so many people enjoying his company on here.

Vicious sarcasm? :shifty:

No lol, I was being serious

you guys do a bloody good job! this is a realy good forum that im glad to be on.

:)

Edited by Christophe'