The Snowboard Thread

Christophe'

I board...

Abit outa the way to be boarding in southampton though :P haha

Advise i can give you is...

Iv never really gotten along with any other brands than Burton or Flow. Iv tried Rides ect, but they just dont accept me :Plol

The setup im running ATM is Burton Super model 161, with triad EST bindings, for when i want to scare myself :P and my ¨park¨ board is a burton FIX 153 with burton custom bindings and my boots are VANS BFB (best fu**ing boot!) lol

Best thing to do though, is look at your price range and go from there....

How would someone who's in their early 20's get into snowborading in a city where pretty much everyone knows how to from the age of 5 without looking like a tool?

Learn quick, nah I dont see that its an issue really, if youve got a half decent ski resort near by, theyll be a bunch of tourists goint here every year, so instructors/locals will be used to seeing chumps fall off planks of wood repeatedly on a near flat hill. a week of lessons, and you should look semi respectable(ive had an hours lesson on a snowboard, then 2 hours playing round on my mates on holiday, and I could almost pass myself off as being someone whod learnt as a kid and never done it since. (as in I could get down a green or something without being on my ass every turn). but after a few days of proper lessons youd be sorted.

How would someone who's in their early 20's get into snowborading in a city where pretty much everyone knows how to from the age of 5 without looking like a tool?

Just get in with some friends who can already do it and ask them to take you as part of a small group to teach you the basics. You should pick it up pretty quickly with good tuition. Have you skateboarded/surfed before?

was that a serious?

im up for no bitchin on this thread.

Just get in with some friends who can already do it and ask them to take you as part of a small group to teach you the basics. You should pick it up pretty quickly with good tuition. Have you skateboarded/surfed before?

oh wow dave , your so down with the kids :D

Edited by Christophe'

Have you skateboarded/surfed before?

No, and no. But i did go skiing for 10 days but that was such a long time ago i don't think i could remember any of that.

There's a ski resort 10 mins down the road from me, and with there being snow on the ground here for about 4 months solid it seems i should get getting into some kind of winter sport. :ermm:

There's a ski resort 10 mins down the road from me, and with there being snow on the ground here for about 4 months solid it seems i should get getting into some kind of winter sport. :ermm:

Just do it. Even if you sneak off on your own and get a few lessons on the 'baby' slope to learn the basics is shouldn't take long to get your head around it. You won't regret it- boarding's awesome :P.

I reckon you'll probably find that a few people living there are awesome, but most are just "okay" at it. Don't be intimidated, go to any of the resort places and there will always be a mixture of absolute beginners right up to (almost) pro.

Got my first board last year, loved it! Used to always stand up on a sledge and pretend I was boarding when I was wee, so I just decided t take it up last year, it's great! I managed to pick it up fairly easy, I just went to a hill up the road from my house when it was snowing, and within ten minutes I could go/stop/turn no bother :P Second day I was doing jumps, Third day I was up the cairn gorms on the big boy slopes :P

I'll happily come alopng to one of the freestyle nights at milton keynes, if one of you want to organise something?

Pfft Hemel's better ;)

I board, a bit shit after breaking my ribs twice but its great fun! currently running an Atomic Hatchet/Ride bindings and down Hemel every now and then, im on SCUK aswell if anyones on there?

Who cares i didn´t give a flying fiddlesticks when i went for the first time last year. My friends already knew how to snowboard and on my first go they took me on one of the hardest slopes the bastards obviously i was on the floor more than on my feet but by the end of the day i could pretty much go down without falling off but just going quite slow.

I was going down on my own most of the time because everyone got fed up of waiting but i had a great time!