Resset Ti Bottom Bracket Failures/warranty

dave33

No offense either but I am a mechanical engineer that specializes in failure mode and effect analysis.

Thats fantastic. The point you missed was that unless your skills or weight have dramatically increased since the last vid you released, theres likely to be less stress put on your BB axle compared to someone riding Elite sections. Just because his snapped, doesn't mean yours will.

Thats fantastic. The point you missed was that unless your skills or weight have dramatically increased since the last vid you released, theres likely to be less stress put on your BB axle compared to someone riding Elite sections. Just because his snapped, doesn't mean yours will.

Ah I get your point now.

he told me he had used them, plus I think they were in the box when it arrived. He said that they were supplied with his cranks and thought he had to use them, even though cranks don't come with these spacers :S . Perhaps he had an old bb with the spacers before the reset one and while it was being removed the spacers were left in the tool and transferred over? It almost happened to me once.

he told me he had used them, plus I think they were in the box when it arrived. He said that they were supplied with his cranks and thought he had to use them, even though cranks don't come with these spacers :S . Perhaps he had an old bb with the spacers before the reset one and while it was being removed the spacers were left in the tool and transferred over? It almost happened to me once.

A likely story Ali... :P

ok im not moaning about not having a replacement, i just asked if any one snapped one and didnt it get it replaced

So if i have new cranks and i can't put it on completely to the reset axle because they're too tight yet, should i worry too? Or maybe i supose to take big pipe and get in on my 8mm allen key and push it to the end? titanium thread in axle is weaker than steel, isn't it?

i fitted the bb with bradnew tryall cranks, used ant seze grease, used a torque wrench and done them up to around 25Nms, they didnt go down to the shoulder at first, i checked them reguarly until they did, took a few rides, fitted with NO SPACERS

It's more where the crank sits relative to the lip on the spindle rather than how spaced out your pedals are or whatever...

Cranks generally loosen a fraction so you can tighten it on further after a few rides, so it should be fine - just keep them tight.

check

Sorry, I thought it would be obvious, both circumstances are identical in terms of force and distance - apart from the addition of the spacer (red bit) on the axle.

The crank stop (alloy sleeve, grey on my image) on the axle is 15mm long. Adding a 2mm spacer (red bit) means the force is applied at a point which is 2mm further away from the bearing, right? Therefore a higher bending moment on the axle, as the force (which remains identical for the sake of argument) is being applied further from the pivot (bearing).

Increasing the width of the pedal is pretty much irrelevant as this will only increase the (vertical/horizontal, whichever you want to use) component of the force a tiny amount? The maths could be done but nobody knows the exact foot position Dave uses so...

Edit: Had yet another look at the BB, looks like it's broken at the end of the crank bolt, which ends at almost exactly the same distance from the crank stop as the thickness of the spacer used. There is of course a stress riser from the bolt anyway (solid to hollow section change), but combined with the crank being in the 'wrong place' and not covering over this stress riser... you get the idea. Looks like more of a torsional failure, doubt it would have happened if the crank was up to the stop as designed... Hence Reset not replacing it.

i have not measured but it anapped at a guess aboud 2mm's inside the actual crank bore, i know this because when it snapped it danaged the first 2mm of the bore

It's a trials component.

Trials components break.

Shit happens.

If you've been refused warranty you've been refused warranty. No point dwelling on it/getting lairy on the internet

im not complaining, just asking

i havnt read the whole thread but i will

you trying to say im a basher ??

when we talked on the phone dave, you said it had been used with a spacer. Obviously we never saw it with the crank on so all we have to go on when looking at it is its condition and what the customer says. we then pass this info onto the manufacturer who go to make a decision.

If it wasn't used with spacers then apologies, but I understand you took it up with reset yourself? what did they say?

ali, ll be totally honest when i spoke to you on the phone i think i just agreed with what ever you were telling me at the time, which was summit like i think i just fitted what ever came at the time and to be honest i couldnt really remember... that was atleast after a month after i sent it to tarty bikes. after all i snapped the bb at brimham rocks, which was june on july then i went to chine in aug, and it was after i came back i got round to sending it.

and yea im pretty sure there was 2 spacers in the box i sent back, so tarty bikes must have ASSUMED that i used them.

thats the first time i seen the pic, and i can defo say that the spacer is one that come with the MOE bb that Ben savage gave me from his van on the day, in a bag which says 1 trial old bb, after i changed the bb i just threw all the stuff in to the bag as i was in a hurry, and i DID not fit the spacers to the MOE bb then.... when ben says he helped change it he let me borrow his bb tool, said summit about not getting his fingers all grease....

infact my friend nick done most of the work, as hes hard and dont mind getting his hands dirty.... and after being told that my bb snapped because i had the spacers one i asked both nick and ben if there was because i was unsure as it was long time ago, they both will tell you that there werent any.

also ali, was the spacer on the axle when you opened the box? if i snapped it in a field how is there 2 spacers? the other one must be on the floor??

just to make my self clear i dont have a problem with tarty or resset, my point is that they are assuming i used summit that i can honestly say i didnt, and the concultion to the failure was just a possibility

maybe if my name was Ben Slinger or Pat Donavan i might have had a replacement?

when we talked on the phone dave, you said it had been used with a spacer. Obviously we never saw it with the crank on so all we have to go on when looking at it is its condition and what the customer says. we then pass this info onto the manufacturer who go to make a decision.

If it wasn't used with spacers then apologies, but I understand you took it up with reset yourself? what did they say?

at the end of the day its just a bike part, i know i ride trials, i some times break stuff thats life... but i think i asked you at a trial if there was any warranty? not really expecting much... i was told to send it back...

my point is just thatim reallly disapointed that im saying i didnt use a spacer and its falling on closed ears. i dont think iv ever complained about any thing that has ever broken.

when i spoke to resset, they told me they have no reason to belive me over tarty bikes, end of...

i would like to see what cause they would have given if there was no apparent spacer used..

Pretty sure Dave will be on here later to tell everyone the pool table story and that the spacers were never used.

I helped him change the bb at the comp and there was defo no spacers on the bb when we took it out.

Bens talking about the pool table where my mother puts any bike looking parts and boxes i leave lying about the house, bloody night mare when you go to look for summit, and that may be how the spacers go it to the resset box, as i sent it back in the origian box, cant even remember if i sent the crank bolts with it now i think about it

So why have the Tarty lads lied about this spacer??

haha.

they assummed im guessing, never said they lied

Pretty sure Dave will be on here later to tell everyone the pool table story and that the spacers were never used.

I helped him change the bb at the comp and there was defo no spacers on the bb when we took it out.

I can also testify in the bbspacergate scandal as to the whereabouts of said spacers on daves bb.they weren't on the bike,they were simply in the same box as broken bb. I know this because i actually got my hands dirty and removed the bb myself.

The truth is the bb broke where it would if a spacer had been used, Ali seems to think you said you used a spacer and finally there were spacers in the box with the bb. Resset said no warranty and they have the final say. Its not like Tartybikes didn't want you to get a replacement they are just the middle men in all of this. I'm not saying you did use a spacer on your cranks but looking at it as a third party it seems to suggest you did.

There doesn't seem to be anyone else that has broken their Ti bb here either.

I have one myself and although I don't ride very often I have full confidence in it.

The truth is the bb broke where it would if a spacer had been used, Ali seems to think you said you used a spacer and finally there were spacers in the box with the bb. Resset said no warranty and they have the final say. Its not like Tartybikes didn't want you to get a replacement they are just the middle men in all of this. I'm not saying you did use a spacer on your cranks but looking at it as a third party it seems to suggest you did.

There doesn't seem to be anyone else that has broken their Ti bb here either.

I have one myself and although I don't ride very often I have full confidence in it.

how do you come to that conclustion? its just a possibility?

also i bought the bb from tarty bikes not resset, the way i understand it the warranty i have is with tartybikes?

seems that hasnt been people who broke them? i know of 2 people

Interested in the outcome of this and I wonder if yours is the first case of this? And of course they are going to believe a bikeshop who are making them money over you,money makes the world go round.

good point, but now the spacer issue has been cleared up, then they can decide what the real cause of failure was

how do you come to that conclustion? its just a possibility?

also i bought the bb from tarty bikes not resset, the way i understand it the warranty i have is with tartybikes?

seems that hasnt been people who broke them? i know of 2 people

good point, but now the spacer issue has been cleared up, then they can decide what the real cause of failure was

I came to that conclusion from what I've read in this thread. No one in this thread mentioned they broke a ti bb so I assumed yours was the only one.

You bought the bb Tarty who bought it from Resset. Tarty boys seem to think it broke because you used a spacer (Which is fair what with you saying it on the phone and there being spacers in the box with the bb)

Resset have the final say in weather or not your bb gets warranted and they said no.

I came to that conclusion from what I've read in this thread. No one in this thread mentioned they broke a ti bb so I assumed yours was the only one.

You bought the bb Tarty who bought it from Resset. Tarty boys seem to think it broke because you used a spacer (Which is fair what with you saying it on the phone and there being spacers in the box with the bb)

Resset have the final say in weather or not your bb gets warranted and they said no.

yes we already know that, they have got mixed up and have assumed that these spacers were used, but now its clear that i didnt use any, after telling them (adam)

now tarty bikes can tell resset that they have made a mistake and that there was no spacer, then they can come to a conclustion

as the retailer the warranty lies with tartybikes, of course they are going to consult with the manufacture

yes we already know that, they have got mixed up and have assumed that these spacers were used, but now its clear that i didnt use any, after telling them (adam)

now tarty bikes can tell resset that they have made a mistake and that there was no spacer, then they can come to a conclustion

as the retailer the warranty lies with tartybikes, of course they are going to consult with the manufacture

Well its not really clear because you said you used them to Ali on the phone. The fact is its already been dealt with and there is to be no warranty. To me personally it looks like you are not being honest with what's happened.

Its got nothing to do with me and people here seem to think I'm an argumentative person so I'm going to leave it there and stay out of it.

Good luck anyway mate.