Afghanistan

damo

After returning back to england on R and R from my second tour of the country, Just woundering what your views are. Have got a video of my squadron from 2006.

Also tell me what you think about the video too please.

Cheers Damo

We're definatly having a beter tour than our last one, at the moment were working out of FOBs and jus coming back after a few hours patroling. Where as last tour we were spending up 9 weeks out on the ground, working up 20 hours a day, but enjoyed it.

We're definatly having a beter tour than our last one, at the moment were working out of FOBs and jus coming back after a few hours patroling. Where as last tour we were spending up 9 weeks out on the ground, working up 20 hours a day, but enjoyed it.

Christ, all fun and games then :P Just think of that nice juicy bonus when you get back though ^_^ When you due back for good?

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what we (you) are doing there. There seems to be no game plan, no goal or end in sight- just a whole lot of f**ked up religious wankers slowly blowing the country apart and taking plenty of innocent lives with them. Are you still trying to find Bin Laden or what?

To be perfectly honest I have no idea what we (you) are doing there. There seems to be no game plan, no goal or end in sight- just a whole lot of f**ked up religious wankers slowly blowing the country apart and taking plenty of innocent lives with them. Are you still trying to find Bin Laden or what?

Drugs. its about 60-70% of the worlds drugs are grown there. And i think of the top of my head 80% of the drugs that are in Britain come from there too. We were also asked by the Afgani government to help them out by taking away the Taliban. We all think that Bin Laden is dead anyway if he ain't hes most proberly hiding in pakistan.

Drugs.

But the UK government should be spending the hundreds of millions of pounds sorting out drugs being imported and on the streets in the UK rather than getting people killed and invading another country to stop it at the source- I don't see that as any of our business. This whole thing is a throwback to the 9/11 attacks which, though 100% evil and f**ked up, this 'conflict' doesn't seem to have any link to.

I'd be highly suspicious of our governments motivation for being there having much to do with a concern for the people of Afghanistan. That would seem to contradict many of their other actions past and present. It's probably also true that drugs aren't much of a motivation but like "concern" it's a nice cover story. In that sense, what happens in Afghanistan regarding the Taliban and drug production is a convenience to be utilized.

I don't stand by that in absolutist way however, especially as I'm hard pressed to remember what I've read about Afghanistan and the west. I only know I've read a wealth of information that suggests a general trend whereby most western goverments act in accord with what benefits them in the sense of profit, over all else and this includes Afghanistan in the past. In this sense, I don't really support the motivation. If as a by product the people of Afghanistan gain from protection against the Taliban I think at least that is a good thing.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

If as a by product the people of Afghanistan gain from protection against the Taliban I think at least that is a good thing.

I don't really think that would work either though... If you remove the Taliban (Sunni Islamic extremists) then they'll just be replaced by Shia's, Sufi's or whatever other evil Muslim psycho's the religion spawns. They will then continue to try and wipe out any remaining non extremist Sunni's by blowing themselves and anyone else who's around to the kingdom of Allah. Regardless, there's no reason why the UK should be involved.

Lawnmowermans brother has just come back from there but is going back out in January I think.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Si-man

After returning back to england on R and R from my second tour of the country, Just woundering what your views are. Have got a video of my squadron from 2006.
Also tell me what you think about the video too please.

Cheers Damo

Your from Chelmsford! I used to live in Braintree.

Your from Chelmsford! I used to live in Braintree.

Yeah from Chelmsford, well orginally from Islington, North London. But now live in windsor as thats where im based. But back in chelmo on leave. Going out in Braintree tomorow free bar somewhere lol.

What's with soldiers making videos of action on their phones? If I was in charge I'd be seriously pissed off if a useful body were f**king about videoing what's going on instead of doing their job and avoiding being shot... In fact if I were there I'd be concentrating on not being shot rather than videoing stuff. I can understand messing around in camp and away from the action but surely when you're being shot at your mind should be on the job?

What's with soldiers making videos of action on their phones? If I was in charge I'd be seriously pissed off if a useful body were f**king about videoing what's going on instead of doing their job and avoiding being shot... In fact if I were there I'd be concentrating on not being shot rather than videoing stuff. I can understand messing around in camp and away from the action but surely when you're being shot at your mind should be on the job?

Getting shot at out there becomes so much of a way of life that it doesnt bother you anymore, and from my own experience most of the videos are shot on helmet mounted cameras and if not the person shooting the video is in some cover so he cant get shot. Your right though it does get annoying when some tit has a camera in your face and you are trying to get on with bussiness, it's then just down to someone to get a grip of them and get them doing what they need to do. IMO most of us soldiers make videos as something to look back on, and its also for people who may take what we do for granted, to just sit up and see what we do out there.

Yeah from Chelmsford, well orginally from Islington, North London. But now live in windsor as thats where im based. But back in chelmo on leave. Going out in Braintree tomorow free bar somewhere lol.

if i was 18 id come have a drink with you, i live in braintree :P

also in 2010 hopefully il get in the forces and start my training (Y)

Most of it is helmet cams, which just record when your cracking on with a firefight. So still doing our job but it gets recoreded to. And yeah messing around when we're back in the main camp bastion we end taking photo's like this!

n659379481_1591053_3269288.jpg

Was alot worse taking to lmao.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for our guys out there your doing a brilliant job. But i feel that they have been sent on a hoax cause to be honest! Its the americans fight and not ours really. I feel that all our lads are being shot for G.W bush's power trip. But that is my opinion on it