Tf Ring Trip - Easter 2010

Prawny Baby

As far as booking goes, if we say we are bringing a passenger, and they drop out for some reason, does that matter too much?

And also, what kind of spares did people bring? Hopefully I won't need a new fuel tank this time :P

Doesn't really matter if people drop out, os long as the costs are covered I don't care :)

Didn't take spares personally, you'll never be able to guess which part may break. If the worst happens, deal with it while your out there :P there's a scrap yard just half a mile from the campsite anyway!

Doesn't really matter if people drop out, os long as the costs are covered I don't care :)

Didn't take spares personally, you'll never be able to guess which part may break. If the worst happens, deal with it while your out there :P there's a scrap yard just half a mile from the campsite anyway!

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll just raid your car during the night :P

Im up for it,

does anyone know the legalities of towing over there? ie i don't have a towing license and im only in my third year of driving.

A friend might be able to lend me a trailer, so i was wondering if i was towing it with an appropriate vehicle like my daily ( a 2 litre 406 estate), with the mini strapped down correctly the right trailer board and lights etc, would it be ok to tow it over? depsite me not technically being allowed to tow over here?

would be soo much easier if i could.

how's towing it easier dude? More hasstle, double the ferry cost, probably more in fuel by the time you take into account poor economy when towing, plus when towing the MIni you'll be cruising slower than the Mini could cruise at anyway.....

Mine made it there and back without a single issue

You'll need to have taken the towing qualification on your UK licence if you passed after 1995 (I think), otherwise you're not legally allowed to tow in the UK.

Once you hit Germany (again, I think. It may be Belgium or even France to Germany) if you haven't taken the appropriate towing test IN THAT COUNTRY then you're limited to 50mph. When everyone else is doing 70ish, that's a pain too.

Isn't a sub 10 minute lap considered to be quite an achievement?

All depends on the car to be honest. One VLN driver does 8 min laps in a Suzuki Swift, M3s will easily run Sub-9s all day long.

If you're worrying about times, you're doing it wrong.

If you're worrying about times, you're doing it wrong.

Agreed!

It's all about the satisfaction of putting together a good lap, trying to hit every apex, and just being as smooth as possible!

I actually found it really hard work to keep up such intense concentration and effort for such a long period of time!

Looking at the dates over Easter:

1st April - 1415 - 1945

2nd April (Good Friday) - 0800 - 1930

3rd April - No tourist session

4th April - 0800 - 1930

5th April (Monday) - 0800 - 1930

6th April - 0800 - 1930

If you can do it, going out Thursday will be a better bet. You'll get a full day's driving on Friday. Any hold ups on the trip over on Friday and you'll be worrying about missed track time, then you'll wake up Saturday morning raring to go and be faced with a closed track.

Also Tuesday will be relatively quiet, Wednesday is back to just evening sessions...

If it's possible to keep it as the 3 days it fits in well with me, as the Thursdays the first test day for our college's radical, after a new body shell, and a complete new nut and bolt re-build, and Monday's the first race of the season, so I'd like to go along to both, but if I've gotta miss one or both it's not the end of the world.

(Oh yeah, sounds like I'm hopefully coming on this as a passenger with liam)

I'm going to stick to Friday chaps, there are already quite a few people committed to comming who won't want to be changing dates or haivng to book time off. I'm unfortunately forced to take the following week off work without choice, and that, coupled with my week at the ring in september, leaves me absolutely f**k all holday for the rest of the year!

The idea behind leaving at 8am friday was that we could get a few hours in on Friday night anyway, plus the whole idea of friday - monday was to keep costs as low as humanly possible, and not need anyone to take any time off work.

I'm not imagining any of us are going to do LOADS of laps, say for example you wanted to do 2 laps friday night, then another 6 on sunday, that's 145E. say we had all day friday as well and did 6 laps on both days, that's the best part of £220! That's why I'm thinking a few laps friday night, explore on saturday, check out the new ring complex, the roller coaster, and the absolutely awsome roads that surround the whole place, then a good day there on sunday.

I called avon and somerset constabulary yesterday and spoke to road safety unit and they said if the trailers mass with the load is less than thw towing vehicles unloaded mass I can tow on my current license. Anything more and I would require a B or an E class towing test. Its not very clear and a grey area but that's the case.

I called avon and somerset constabulary yesterday and spoke to road safety unit and they said if the trailers mass with the load is less than thw towing vehicles unloaded mass I can tow on my current license. Anything more and I would require a B or an E class towing test. Its not very clear and a grey area but that's the case.

pretty much, and both car and trailer must have a combined total gross of less than 3500kg, (or if more, the trailer can have a gross of 750kg).

it has infact been discussed in the car thread at least twice, with info from the direct gov website to back it up, which i think prawn will be able to confirm, as it was him i discussed it with.

I'd like to think so mate, plenty of people have done it, many in much lesser cars than mine, but for my first time out there in my 4th lap I was pretty happy with myself, and it felt incredible!

Sounds pretty impressive to me, that's averaging 120kph roughly? On a track you don't know.

Ticcy, are you able to confirm or deny this viscious rumour?

All plans still stand as far as I'm concerned chaps.

If anyone wants to send me the ferry money so I can book us all as a group then PM me, otherwise, the details are set, and feel free to book whenever you like!