Grinded Rim Or Tar?

monty-james

in my opinion tar shouldn't be used at all. If you use it on a grind it actually fills the crevices of the grind and makes your grind shit very fast! Im not sure why people would even run a smooth rim because grinds are just overall better, but if somone does use smooth they shouldnt use tar either, tar is just dirty :P

in my opinion tar shouldn't be used at all. If you use it on a grind it actually fills the crevices of the grind and makes your grind shit very fast! Im not sure why people would even run a smooth rim because grinds are just overall better, but if somone does use smooth they shouldnt use tar either, tar is just dirty :P

Totally with you on this one, tar is filth. Get a decent grind; use a fresh disc. A good set of pads, I use Try-all browns (use the search to find out the best ones and what grind to use), set up your brake properly and get a decent bleed and you'll be sorted braking wise in all conditions.

Sup James,

Ive only ever used tar, but ive rode only a few months in total. :) Never used grinds.

except when rode your bike.

I think its just a matter of opinion like some people have already said

I don't think it is. Tar is an easy if not poor substitute for a poor brake set up. A properly set up brake, with a decent grind and a good set of pads will always out perform tar.

i use to use tar on my v's when i first started riding to get a bit more bite for rocks and stuff, but soon found out it was a bad idea!!

a little bit of water and you have no brakes!!

agree with what people are saying set your brakes right and decent pads and you'll be fine.

I don't think it is. Tar is an easy if not poor substitute for a poor brake set up. A properly set up brake, with a decent grind and a good set of pads will always out perform tar.

Not saying that i prefer tar, just saying that i have never tried a grin rim..

So basiclly what your saying is that tar works but not well? And looking across the page near on everyone agrees a good grind works well! So should'nt the two work really well together. Ive recently brought an onza tpro with both grind and tar and as of yet not had no problems.

Yeah, I agree and love grinds in the winter.

But in summer when the weathers dry. (Mostly)

Tar can be great. A set of Snowies in CNC or something with a but of tar on smooth works a treat. Plus, You don't need to buy new discs, grind your rim and make your rim weaker.

However in Autumn/ Winter Grinds ALWAYS.

I use tar in the same way as you use a TPA, if im out on a ride and i find my grind isn't sufficient enough for hold i put a bit of tar on my rim just to give it that extra edge.

I'd prefer not to use it at all in the summer though it just seems too sticky and ruins the feel of the brake.