Light Weight Trials?

Post up your current spec?

People may be able to suggest what would be best for you.

Post up the spec of your bike and people will be able to give you better advice on the issue - If you're riding an old steel XC frame with a koxx build kit then it'll be one way, if you've spent money on a light frame already then it'll be elsewhere.

Help us to help you (Y)

Beaten, dammit :P

Edited by Trials Punk

Oi, everyone, stop being a bunch of cunts.

He's here to get advice off of a forum that's here for helping out riders on trials bikes. Picking on grammar and spelling and downright moodiness is all well and good in my book, but calling someone out for being here for the specific reason the forum exists is just ridiculous.

OP, You're probably going to want to provide some sort of budget for upcoming upgrades really. Pretty much everything on your bike could be replaced with something lighter, but the places I always start are with rotational weight - so any weight you can save on tyres and tubes without getting to many flats is good. Personally I think drilled rims are fine too, but it's all about how you ride. If you have just started then really you don't need to worry about doing any changes to your bike till you're outriding it's potential. Go have fun and build up your moves before worrying about spending more cash.

do drilled rims make alot of difference and do they effect the strength of the wheels?

Yes they make some difference...and bugger all strength loss ( unless you look at an Echo 06 rim )

Anyway...yeh like guy said above, weight off rotational will make the most noticeable difference. If you're running the stock Luna tyres and undrilled rims then there's a few hundred grams to be saved there....The hussefelt cranks also have a ring you you could cut the bash plate off the frame.

Are the forks steel? If so then Alloy upgrade could save you 300g+. Single-wall the front rim if double-wall too. Stem and/or bras steel? if so swap em out :)

It very much depends though. If you go along the lines of new rims, stem, forks, tyres etc then it may well be worth getting a new complete build which is significantly lighter. You don't want to throw lots of money at your bike if you're just learning. I'm sure it doesn't weight a tonne, so i'd just leave it as it is until you feel like you're getting quite competent and you know what direction your riding is going in then maybe upgrade to a new complete bike. A lot of the onza full builds are pretty cheap.

If you love the frame and do have money to burn then maybe start upgrading, but it might be worth waiting perhaps until you break parts to replace them as opposed to replacing them just for something lighter.

Like a lot of older guys here i started on modded xc frames which weighted lots - it never held anyone back, and it will only make you appreciate the weight savings in time. Suffer for a time to have a greater appreciation in the future. I feel quite sick when i see complete beginners on absolutely perfect, beautiful bikes as to me it kind of defeats the point.

I've worked up from shit bikes to an absolute gem now that i can afford it and have ridden for so many years. Again it just improves your appreciation.

I rode London on the weekend, and having not been on a group ride for some time it amazed me that no one has shit bikes anymore, regardless of ability. There were two guys who were clearly new to trials as their ability was clearly that of a beginner, yet their bikes were by far the nicest of the entire group. Whilst there is nothing wrong that, my point is that these guys didn't have the biggest confidence in their riding so often didn't make certain moves, and this mixed with the fact they were petrified to scratch their beautiful bikes only held them back. They were conscious of ruining a new bike (i can't blame them) yet they are bound to due to their ability. So if you learn on a shed, i think it only helps you.

One of the best guys there had a quite manky bike which he loved but wasn't afraid to throw around, which after all is what a trials bike is for.

Oi, everyone, stop being a bunch of cunts.

He's here to get advice off of a forum that's here for helping out riders on trials bikes. Picking on grammar and spelling and downright moodiness is all well and good in my book, but calling someone out for being here for the specific reason the forum exists is just ridiculous.

OP, You're probably going to want to provide some sort of budget for upcoming upgrades really. Pretty much everything on your bike could be replaced with something lighter, but the places I always start are with rotational weight - so any weight you can save on tyres and tubes without getting to many flats is good. Personally I think drilled rims are fine too, but it's all about how you ride. If you have just started then really you don't need to worry about doing any changes to your bike till you're outriding it's potential. Go have fun and build up your moves before worrying about spending more cash.

thanks mate!!!

Buy a new bike, with a bike like that you just have to keep it running, short of a full re-spec your not going to get a light good riding bike.

Sorry for being blunt... just true

Being light costs $$$ and breaks more, not a great idea if your strapped for cash, buy 2nd hand heavy duty parts.

team gradual improvement! the best thing to invest in would be a good freewheel and some good brake pads. there crucial no matter what standard of riding your at. if your serious it wouldn't hurt to start saving for a proper build in the future, in the mean time ride your bike to death, if aint broke don't replace it.... if you upgrade as you go, save as much as the original bike as you can (ideally you'll work your way to a completely new bike in bits) and then you can reassemble the base and sell it on etc. no point trying to shave weight of a heavy bike just focus on performance and getting stronger :P