Tartybikes Wheel Order

George.E

Hey im going to order a front wheel off Tarty I would phone them but im using my mums credit card an she will be in work tomrow and i cant exactly speek for her card.

So im going to order the wheel online but the question im asking is:

If I order online I buy the hub, rim and spokes I want will tarty cut the right length spokes for me?

Thanks guys.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that should be fine. If you want to make sure of it I guess you could put "Spokes are for the rim/hub in the order" or something, but most of the time we put 2+2 together :P And yeah, we've got a pretty wide range of spokes so we'll work out the lengths and pick the ones that suit. Generally speaking if it's a front disc hub we'll do the disc side 2 or 3 cross and the non-disc radial, just to let you know. If you want any particular lacing, just mention that too.

I thought posting in here would be better than starting a new thread so anyway. If I order two hubs, two rims and two sets of spokes do I have to buy one or two wheelbuilds?

Yes.

Probably two. Do they only charge as it takes time to build? Most BMX companies offer wheelbuilding for free.

Don't seem to remember seeing any for free? I know some of them do them discounted if you buy all the parts from them (like we do), but I didn't think any did it totally for free...

ive bought loads of hubs rims and spokes, either just a hub (because i have a rim) or a rim (because i have a hub) or a rim and hub, with spokes each time by phoning them and NOT doing it online.

they just ask what the makes of each component and then they work out how long the spokes need to be......

AND GET IT RIGHT EVERYTIME (Y)

Edited by stunt man t

Shocked at how low your labour rates are! We charge £32-40 for a wheel build where I work, and I think thats pretty good value. We could charge more and probably not lose any custom. Granted we do sometimes discount that, if a customer was spending over £200 on parts we might do it for free, but most people are happy to pay the full rate.

Guess it depends on the market you're operating in, really. I imagine that for the 'serious' comp riders 'n' stuff a higher charge wouldn't really be a problem, but for a lot of our customers I can imagine if the prices were higher they wouldn't be keen. Would I be right in assuming your customers tend to be older, and more into the serious road/XC side of things?

Don't seem to remember seeing any for free? I know some of them do them discounted if you buy all the parts from them (like we do), but I didn't think any did it totally for free...

Allot of places used to. I guess they never made much money from it.

I guess the difference between us and Winstanleys is we actually have stuff in stock, so we can actually build you your wheels ;)

I think the bigger difference would be you can build wheels. I'd hate to see what their wheel builds are like, 'specially if we're going by the other bmx shops quality. I saw a friend a while back with a fresh whole wheel built by Source, god damn!

Plus trials wheels aren't really supposed to last years unlike race/mtb/xc whatever. So i guess a cheaper wheel build is the key for a short life wheel.