Riding Headphones

luke2405

Sorry if its been covered, done a search but couldnt find anything.

I often practice on my own and listen to music to get me in the mood.

Use to have a set of Sennheiser PMX 80 Sport II but found they kept getting caught if I was wearing a hoody and coming off.

Finaly broke them when the cable got caught on the bars and ripped out the socket.

Just wondered if theres anything better that anyone uses ?

Thank you

Luke

The only thing i found with Sennheissers/any ear canal earphones is that they cancel out all of your surroundings so although they have really good sound i found that for riding they aren't that great because i can't hear outside noise. I sort of need to hear what my bikes doing if that makes sense. I found these Sony ones to be really good for ridingLinky, sounds is pretty good, nice and cheap and you can still hear what's going on around you, and they last a fair while. Obviously whack the cable under your shirt otherwise headphones are lethal.

You can sort of get used to the reduced ambient noise though.

I found Sennheiser CX300 IIs were the shit in terms of noise quality and longevity. The cable's fairly long, so when I put my iPod in my pocket I do a loose loop of cable around it too so if my cable snags, it's got a loop of spare cable to go through before actually getting killed. I also run it under my shirt so it doesn't flap about everywhere, and seems to just stay in place better. The ear buds seem to be a shit-tonne better than most others too, in that they actually stay in my ears which is pretty miraculous for most headphones.

You can get them for silly cheap online now too, which is nice!

Whether you can get used to a lack of ambient noise or not is kind of irrelevant - I don't reckon it's wise to be blocking out background noise. You should really be able to hear cars/pedestrians/hard landings/securitystaffscreamingatyoubeforetheycloutyouovertheheadwithsomething. Fair enough in a totally silent natural environment though I guess!

I just found though that by looking around more I was fine. Used to have them on when I was riding my BMX through London and didn't have any issues with any of the things you listed, I just looked for traffic, aggressive security guards, etc. and was just more aware of what's around me. Different for everyone though I guess.

Whether you can get used to a lack of ambient noise or not is kind of irrelevant - I don't reckon it's wise to be blocking out background noise. You should really be able to hear cars/pedestrians/hard landings/securitystaffscreamingatyoubeforetheycloutyouovertheheadwithsomething. Fair enough in a totally silent natural environment though I guess!

Exactly...it's not a matter of getting used to it. I mean i can still function wearing CX300s, i don't just spaz out but it's just nicer to be able to hear around you a bit...also you don't get the really annoying noise of the cable rubbing on your clothes that you do with ear canal ones. It avoids the scary moments with cars etc...and even more scary turning round at night to find someone about a foot away talking to you who you had no idea was there. One headphone in is the other option but then i find it starts trying to pull itself out more because the other headphone is yanking on the cable.

Same on a motorbike for me, i prefer having them in as the wind noise and general bussle is toned down (and my exhaust is too loud) so i need to concentrate more and observe more, making me safer :)

Just tuck whichever choice under your shirt, another useful tip is tucking a little of the excess lightly between your belt/trousers, keeps the lead in tight to your body and the loop can pull out if it gets snagged or you overstrectch!

Although i also found that in-ear canal headphones affected my balance/spatial awareness so i dont wear them on my pushbikes, apart from the xc steed!

(Also those sony part profiled ones hurt like f**k when you snag em and rip them out!)

The 'getting used to it' is just a case of looking around you more, and being more aware of what's going on. Same as going brakeless for the first time, you end up having to be more aware of your surroundings. From how many times I've been snaked by trials riders at skateparks and riding street it seems most riders completely forget about everything around them as soon as they start riding, but as long as you don't do that it's no problem. As I said, 3 1/2 years of zero problems with pedestrians, security and cars in the busiest city in the UK...

these for sports, sound good and under 30 quid.

Skull candy Asym:

asym-09-black-mic-headphones-category-glamor.jpg

got these for posing, no good for sport as the are heavy and they fallout, but they are very pretty and sound amazing!

Skullcandy Full Metal Jackets.

fmj-09-black-headphones-category-glamor.jpg

Kenny

Edited by mr kenny

The 'getting used to it' is just a case of looking around you more, and being more aware of what's going on. Same as going brakeless for the first time, you end up having to be more aware of your surroundings. From how many times I've been snaked by trials riders at skateparks and riding street it seems most riders completely forget about everything around them as soon as they start riding, but as long as you don't do that it's no problem. As I said, 3 1/2 years of zero problems with pedestrians, security and cars in the busiest city in the UK...

Yea, it's that same old problem with different people preferring different things. Personally I'd rather only partially block off one of my senses than fully block it off, and still use the others as much as I can anyway.. By blocking your sense of sound off completely you're only operating at 80% (unless we get all QI about this...) of your sensing potential, or 50% of the ones that matter about being aware of danger on the streets. 3 1/2 years of zero problems for you doesn't mean everyone else would be so lucky. In fact, I was wearing headphones when I had my face ripped in half... even though they were quiet.

Yeah i know, i'm being a bit hypocritical as when i'm on my own i always ride with sennheisser cx300s and i am also brakeless and have avoided killing anyone/myself, but i was just saying it's a bit nicer if you have a bit more spatial awareness and outside sound, which nobody can deny having hearing is pretty helpful for.

Main trouble with those Sony ones as Shamus has pointed out is that they are possibly the most unconfortable things in the universe, but the set i used to have were probably my favourite for actually riding with, definitely not a favourite for general listening with, too uncomfortable for that, on the plus side, they never fall out.

Different for everyone though I guess.

Oh, there it is.

All I said was that you CAN get used to wearing headphones that let less ambient noise in, simply by being more aware of what's around you. Learning to look around you IS getting used to wearing them, and if you don't then I guess you can have your 'face ripped in half'. However, by getting used to that difference, I was able to not get into a situation where my 'face was ripped in half'.

BTW, we need more details on that, sounds pretty interesting :P

Probably a good thing they don't block it off completely I guess. Regarding 'different things for different people', I seem to remember someone else mentioning that earlier in the thread :rolleyes:

Yea, I did mean to quote you on that... dunno what happened there!

They are sturdy when placed in your ear, but thats because they dig in like a motherf**ker! Although as mentioned, the half ear canal sony's don't noise cancel, its quite easy to listen to the world around you and a few quiet tunes at the same time