Threaded My Ice Frame

how long is the bolt??, if its a short one then it'l have just taken the top few threads out just use a longer bolt, if not then either coil it, jubelee clip or put a nut under the clamp

Jubilee clip is a temporary fix but I'd never suggest seriously considering running one for more than a few hours just so you can ride >_<

Jubilee clip is a temporary fix but I'd never suggest seriously considering running one for more than a few hours just so you can ride >_<

i ran one for ages man solong as the other ones ok you can even put a bolt under it just to stop it moving then jubilee clip it to keep it secure, works really well actually its just tricky to set up at first

Edited by WIGAN ??

i ran one for ages man solong as the other ones ok you can even put a bolt under it just to stop it moving then jubilee clip it to keep it secure, works really well actually its just tricky to set up at first

Yup ran one on my pitbull for yonks like that...

Don't bodge it with a jubilee clip and certainly don't drill it through and use a nut that's for sure! Either take it to a local engineering firm or send it back to Tarty and get it helicoiled and it will be as good as new.

Be better than new..stronger ;)

Hi guys, I was putting my back wheel on last night. i went to ajust my brakes and i tightend them to tight and the frame threaded :( so i was just wondering what i could get done to fix it?

Kurtis (Y)

ha ha kustis by the way it's andrew;)

Roflcopters.

Frames come threaded anyway.

The word you're looking for is stripped.

As above, helicoiling is the solution you're after.

I dunno how people destroy their threads, I tighten my mounts up really tight and (with the exception of the leeson I had, which pretty much stripped when you showed it the bolt,) I've never stripped a brake thread, even on my ol' ciguena.

Roflcopters.

Frames come threaded anyway.

The word you're looking for is stripped.

As above, helicoiling is the solution you're after.

I dunno how people destroy their threads, I tighten my mounts up really tight and (with the exception of the leeson I had, which pretty much stripped when you showed it the bolt,) I've never stripped a brake thread, even on my ol' ciguena.

Shit bolts, too much torque, too short bolts, rushing.

i found the best way was a to drill out the stripped bolt hole and press fit a shim that makes it back to original size then thread that, same method used to fix bb's etc

also a dab of something i think is called alpoxy to help really stick them shim in

works far better than a helicoil- used to helicoil parts on old brit motorbikes

most bolts no matter how hard a rider you are will be at the correct torque setting at a quarter turn past the point where the allen key get stiff/finger tight

and don't forget the drive the bolts back and forth through it's thread to make sure it's clean etc

too early for me,translate my half awake typing to suit your needs

Edited by Tux07

most bolts no matter how hard a rider you are will be at the correct torque setting at a quarter turn past the point where the allen key get stiff

Thats all well and good but define stiff, are you talking long series allen key or little multitool? The problem is most people dont know how to use spanners/allen keys properly; greasing the threads makes it much less likely to strip aswell :)

Just a recommendation for anyone looking for thread repair, if you can, go for a Time-sert insert rather than a plain helicoil.

Had this done on my frame, the difference is that the bottom 3 threads expand at the bottom locking the insert in place, making it alot harder for the insert to grip the bolt when you remove the bolt, stripping the insert from the frame (as with the normal helicoil).

You also countersink the top of the hole for the insert to go in, as it comes with a little o-ring attached to the top of the time-sert, making the job look much neater and more permanent.

But if he's lost too much thread, that would mean tapping to a large size thread, which would be a larger bolt and respectively all mounts, booster and spacers need to be adapted for it. Which really isn't worth the hassle, when a helicoil/time-sert is so much easier.

Plus a helicoil/time-sert is made from steel, much stronger thread than an alloy one, much slimmer chance of stripping it.

But if he's lost too much thread, that would mean tapping to a large size thread, which would be a larger bolt and respectively all mounts, booster and spacers need to be adapted for it. Which really isn't worth the hassle, when a helicoil/time-sert is so much easier.

Plus a helicoil/time-sert is made from steel, much stronger thread than an alloy one, much slimmer chance of stripping it.

time-serts rock,

but the prob with cycle stufff is the fine pitch thread, really we should use standard thread sizes this would have made some of my repairs a lot easier

Ive got it fixed now my dad drilled through the first part of my frame and put longer bolts in.

Kurtis (Y)

won't that make the frame more likely to snap at the mounts? (i know the hole won't be that big but it's got affect it somehow)

not too keen on the idea of drilling and cuts out