Base Jumping With A Twist

Dr. Nick Riviera

Yeah must have been. Look what's round his belt on his back. Looks like a massive lump of lead or something.

V. Cool video.

its a weight belt that scuba divers use so they can stop to do decompression stops.

my dads a scuba diving instructor, just shown him this. he was pretty gob smacked

That weight on his back wasn't much though, 1-2kg at most.

You don't need to worry about decompression if you're breathing air/oxygen you inhaled at the surface. Perhaps that's a giveaway - in the final bit where he comes up for air, he's breathing out all the way up. You wouldn't need to do that unless you were breathing from a tank.

Seemed to me he was just breathing out at the last few meters ready to inhale.

Can't see why he couldn't have done that with just one breath, could have been a lungful of a higher concentration of oxygen than regular air though.

Thats amazing

quote here: From Guillaum...To clarify: this movie is A FICTION AND AN ARTISTIC PROJECT. I don't claim to have reached the bottom of the hole (202m) without rope and fins, as the world record in no-fins discipline is 95m..

We made this movie to show another approach in freediving videos.

We wanted to express the strenght of the elements water-earth-air and the sensations of freedom, harmony, exploration

Shot with a canon 5D mark II

Music: you make me feel - ARCHIVE

That weight on his back wasn't much though, 1-2kg at most.

You don't need to worry about decompression if you're breathing air/oxygen you inhaled at the surface. Perhaps that's a giveaway - in the final bit where he comes up for air, he's breathing out all the way up. You wouldn't need to do that unless you were breathing from a tank.

i didnt say he had to do decompression stops. just saying thats the usual purpose of a weight belt. okay he hasnt got much weight on it, but imagine a diver with a Jacket full of air, cylinders and all the rest of the shit, then he has to have something to pull him down with, hence much bigger weight belts. im just trying to say even though its a small weight im sure it pulls him down pretty quickly

the air he had at the start will have been compressed at the bottom, so when he comes back up as it is expanding you are supposed to let the "normal" size air out.

the air he had at the start will have been compressed at the bottom, so when he comes back up as it is expanding you are supposed to let the "normal" size air out.

That's true if you're breathing compressed air. If you breathe air under pressure at depth, as you come up that air will expand to several times the volume and can damage your lungs/ rib cage etc.

However if you're breathing surface air then it compresses as you go down and then expands as you go up - but it can never expand more than its initially volume.

I'm still confused by the weight thing. It's quite hard to simply sink in a swimming pool - plus the sea is saltier so easier to float in, and wearing a wetsuit usually acts as bouyancy. I doubt he could sink that fast with only 1-2 kg?