Any One Know Pros Using Front Maggys?

charliemod

Hi,

Im just wondering if i should get a magura front brake.

Not many people use them so im wondering if there any good or not?

I think there is someone called gilles who uses a front maggie, dunno if hes any good though :huh:

So long as you can get it set up right then yeh it should be good.

However, remember once you have rim brakes front and rear you are going to have no modulation with your brakes at all, especially if you are running a grind front and rear. Freewheeling down a hill and want to stop? skidding is your only option, in which case its goodbye tyres.

I personally prefer front discs, sure they are a little heavier and the rotors can bent if you hit them. But i prefer to option to both modulate my braking and stop dead.

Edit: I run an avid BB7 cable disc. Not a hope mono trial or any other hydraulic, i am not a fan of hydro discs in trials

Edited by kyddie

I run dual Maggies, i swear by it although i might be going for a front Hope Mono Trial titanium / carbon soon, but believe me, it will be purely for swish factor lol, even conisidering ditching the idea of going front disc all together, important things to consider when going front Magura is the type of feel you want, and another important thing is the type of pads you run aswell, im running red Kool Stops on a smooth echo urban rim, no tar, and it's amazing, nice and silent apart from at night when theres moisture in the air when it cools down, this however does'nt affect the performance of the rim brake, only thing that makes it poorer is dust on the rim, simply wipe that off though ;)

Then waiting in the wings for when the kool stops die (if they ever do lol) , is a beautifull pair of Rock Green pads in plastic backings, tested them, and they're a tad more bitey than the Kool Stops, due to them being softer and a bit more tacky feeling, but none the less, that modulation remains, i'm guessing if you want really sharp and bitey then it's going to be a ground rim and pads to match, suggestive to a light / med grind with Rock Blues or similar, in either plastic or cnc backings, if your'e not such a dab hand with setting up Magura rim brakes i suggest plastic backings, flex in the backing allows movement of the pad material if they're not quite square to the rim, whereas cnc's have to be dead square to the rim.

And as for pro's etc using them, i had a leisurely ride with some pals accompanied by Kris Leeson himself in Bedford Sunday, he runs dual maggies and smooth rims on his 24" Fluid, and when he had a go on my mates 24" Fluid with Hope Mono Trial up front, he asked the question " how do you ride with this? " lmao :D .... then he had a go on my Ashton and said " this mans front brake is how a front brake is meant to feel " so there you go fellas, Maggies rule, if set up right ( with the right combination of rim surface, and pads ) , mine bites like a disc but not as harsh, and has modulation of a hydraulic disc, and i will never worry about hitting a rotor :P

Edited by craiggy1984
  • Like 1

Thank you so much every one!

really helped.

I have a bb7 now and it is good, but it just plays up some times

and every one likes a change.

think i might get some plazmatics with aluminium backings.

Again thanks,

especially Craig for time and effort. (Y)

No worries fella, i have yellow plazzmatics on my rear Magura, with a fresh light grind, think it worked better before i did another grind to be fair! giggle.gif Still has a really good bite and hold luckily but i do want either some Rockman Blue material in cnc backings, or Phatpads in Phatbackings for the rear, personaly i think the Plazzies are for smooth rims hence the better feel on the dead grind previous to my fresh grind.

Anyone feel free to correct me about any of my information i have given if im wrong though :P

I ran front maggie on my old bike stripped a thread on my maggie mount so it was set up shit had to use a jubilee clip , was running 04 maggie , echo yellow pads worn at a stupid angle and a dead grind and it was alot better than my rear maggie which was cnc phats on tryall rim with fresh sharp grind

Hi,

Im just wondering if i should get a magura front brake.

Not many people use them so im wondering if there any good or not?

haha you must be joking

gilles, giaco, vincent, kenny, guillaume dunand, a. fontenoy use them. do you need more names ?

As usual with Maggies - its all about setting them up.

I currently use them on both ends, and i dont see any practical reason to change. (except for the noise on some moist nights, as someone mentioned).

They bite at least as good as 8" discs (otherwise, we'd all have discs on the back wheel, wouldnt we?) and modulation isnt horrible.