Bmx: No One Use Chrome Rims Anymore?

JTM

Last time I had a BMX was about 4 years ago, at which time all the best rims were chromed, and pretty much all the decent riders used them.

Ive been browsing wheels/rims and now there seems to be very few chromed rimes/wheels available? Has there been a shift in BMX brake pad tech or am I missing something?

anodised rims have taken over now, chrome is still around, but not as widely used. if you go to an indoor skatepark, you will still see loads of chrome rims lol.

the rim on my bmx is a bright yellow power coat (primo 7005), and i run clear pads. clear pads make any rim surface good at braking, compared to normal black pads etc...

hope i helped mate lol

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4534360/ << my bmx (dont ride it anymore, trials is the way forward) :giggle:

Edited by Sam Styles

No-one really did decent chrome plating apart from Araya. As a result, I think a lot of companies had issues with warrantying flaking chrome and so on. Chrome plating's also pretty harmful to the environment so I think companies are trying to limit how much of it they do.

I remember when peregrine super pros were the rim to have, bloody expensive though :(

Was over the moon when DAI started doing araya super7x rims for 30 quid a pop :)

The chrome on my primo hulahoops seems to be holding up really well, hardly ride the bmx now though :(

In that case can anyone recommend a rear wheel (cassette obviously)?

It needs to be 14mm axle

I run pegs

I currently run plaz spanish fly clear pads so ideally a rim that will work decent with them

around £120 for the wheel

LH Drive

I have no idea about what hubs/rims are good in the BMX world so if anyone in the know can advise that would be great?

Edited by JTM

In that case can anyone recommend a rear wheel (cassette obviously)?

It needs to be 14mm axle

I run pegs

I currently run plaz spanish fly clear pads so ideally a rim that will work decent with them

around £120 for the wheel

LH Drive

I have no idea about what hubs/rims are good in the BMX world so if anyone in the know can advise that would be great?

im really clued up on bmx stuff, so if you choose a part... and post it on here, ill give my advise :)

(generally more expensive is better lol)

Are Araya Himiko rims still around? Those were pretty popular back several years ago.... From what I kept hearing people raved about how great those rims were, and the chrome plating (as Mark pointed out earlier).

Flatlanders still run chrome rims on the front for braking. Those that run brakes on the rear do it too.

I run a Primo 7000 up front and a Hazard Lite rear, both anodized though. I'd still say I trust a Hazard Lite more, it's just all-round a very good rim.

yes, you really cant go wrong with a odyssey hazzard lite, with a primo mix hub.

odyssey 7ka rims are very strong aswell but more expensive :(

7ka's are pointless. They're light a couple mm wider than a hazard and weigh more when on paper they weigh less.

7ka's are pointless. They're light a couple mm wider than a hazard and weigh more when on paper they weigh less.

my mate has had some on his bmx, and he is a really hard rider, and they have lasted him ages! going on about 3 years now and they are perfect

Are Araya Himiko rims still around? Those were pretty popular back several years ago.... From what I kept hearing people raved about how great those rims were, and the chrome plating (as Mark pointed out earlier).

They disappeared like 6 years ago. My friend has one and last time i looked it had gone through to the copper with no sign of flake. They were also pretty fat which was nice.

But they're the same as hazards and cost like £20 more. In my eyes, that's useless...

Noticeably stiffer and hold their shape better. But so many people have cracked them.

I agree with the Mix to Hazard. Such a shame they don't come in 48h. But i'd probably look else where for rims now, the Hazard is good, but £70 (or whatever they are now) good, questionable. I dented my new one within 2 weeks so a bit of a bummer. I rate Alex Supra Feathers if you can get your hands on one.

Maybe research some reviews on the Sun Big Baller. I'd say that's a very safe bet. But Suns chrome can suck real bad sometimes.

Alot of people don't realise a huge part of a good wheel is the build and tension on the spokes... Which is why alot of people ruin some rims and not others then think they're better. Even my deviant rim held up with ti spokes to a profile.

f**k that. I'd annihilate a deviant rim. It's funny 'cause i built a wheel for a guy down here, brand new 7KA and used his old spokes and hub. Told him not to mind. :giggle:

i was recently woundering this. I thought it was just something which everyone had just grown out of.

Like the old D521 Mavics on every trials bike many moons ago. i remeber feeling like the main man when i got a ceramic one haha

how times change