Old School Large Tvs?

Davetrials

To be fair DD / DTS are still good, but if you have expensive speakers you may as well get the best from them.

At the moment I only have my films going through the silver mixer into the black Sony amp (In the pic above) so I'm just running standard stereo, though when I worked in that hifi place a few years back we sold some incredible systems - stupidly priced, but amazingly nice.

They weren't too expensive to buy but they are very capable speakers. I think amp and centre are the next ones for me, should be able to upgrade to a slightly more powerful amp with HDMI audio for around £50 to £100 once i've sold my current amp. It'd mean a lot less cables as well :lol:

That sounds like a bit of a bargain. I'm slightly gutted that we aren't going to see any pictures of a 50" CRT though :(

Would 150" do you?

plasma-150inches.jpg

:lol:

That would be a wall of my lounge.

That sounds like a bit of a bargain. I'm slightly gutted that we aren't going to see any pictures of a 50" CRT though :(

Don't believe they did CRTs at that size, largest were about 36" for above that had to go to rear projection. Keep the retro going - pick yourself up a laserdisk player, cassette player, minidisc and a that, hell go way back and pick up a betamax player. I've still got a 32" CRT by Philips, was quite advanced when I got it and cost about £700 in 2003 now I'd give it away to whoever comes to get it.

Fortunately the girls from last year decided to leave their 32" CRT in the living room of our new uni house. It's great for watching TV, but long multiplayer sessions on the xbox kill your eyes with all the flickery 50Hz - ness. I can watch iPlayer etc on the 23" monitor in my room.

I think CRTs are the way forward for uni house lounges. No fighting over who keeps it at the end either.

Or get uber lucky when your bro moves to Germany and end up with this for next to nothing...

jizz0037.jpg

That purple tin on the right side of the TV, it's some chinese biscuit thingy kinda food, I recognise it... but I can't remember it and it's doing my head it!

That purple tin on the right side of the TV, it's some chinese biscuit thingy kinda food, I recognise it... but I can't remember it and it's doing my head it!

Correct, they are Ching Kee Phoenix Rolls :)

And those of you talking about toilet roll and butt plugs, I have nothing to hide!

If you've ever seen me walk you'd know instantly without the need for a photo haha

If you don't have a HD source then CRT's often look better than a HD capable tv. But once you throw a HD source into the mix the flatscreen generation comes into a world of its own. When the HD tv channels are properly integrated it'll be a big mainstream difference, they're slowly cropping up now with a lot more being introduced in the near future.

Everyone who has come to my house and watched Avatar in 1080p has gone "crikey, that looks amazing!".

Likewise gaming on a non HD set after using a HD one is a dissapointing affair.

Really ? I prefer gaming in normal deffinition, Its wierd, i just CAN NOT play COD in HD. Go round mates houses, they've got 50" plasma things, they whack cod on and i play as i normally would and i just can't do it, it doesn't look or feel right.

Even when i go to my mates house in Brentwood, i stay for a week or so at a time, and i take my xbox:

photo2wry.jpg

photo3hm.jpg

And he always offers me the big ass HD thing, but i much prefer the smaller non HD thing on the left. Everyone ses i'm well wierd, but hey, thats Me :D

Really ? I prefer gaming in normal deffinition, Its wierd, i just CAN NOT play COD in HD. Go round mates houses, they've got 50" plasma things, they whack cod on and i play as i normally would and i just can't do it, it doesn't look or feel right.

Even when i go to my mates house in Brentwood, i stay for a week or so at a time, and i take my xbox:

photo2wry.jpg

photo3hm.jpg

And he always offers me the big ass HD thing, but i much prefer the smaller non HD thing on the left. Everyone ses i'm well wierd, but hey, thats Me :D

Depends on the telly, but i'd imagine your experiencing mistiming. It's basically a lag between whats on screen and whats being hammered into the controller. If you play games a lot on a crt then go onto a poorly setup flatscreen you'll find things really off. I was the same. The trick is to set the tv up properly for your gaming channel.

Basically most flatscreens have a whole host of features that most people tend to switch on or are left on as standard to give that "wow" effect when you first turn it on fresh out the box., 200hz mode, dynamic contrast, super black levels etc. Each one slows the image response down a little as it takes a little longer for the tv to process each function. Guitar hero has a built in lag calibrator and with everything turned on my tv had a substantial lag between on screen timing and button pressing. It made guitar hero practically unplayable with a delay of around 300-400ms. Turning it to gaming mode speeds up the image for me as it turns off most of the hardware functions then turning off 200hz and smoothmotion etc dropped it right down to about 8-10ms. I switched dynamic contrast back on at a total delay of around 10-15ms because i think it looks a lot better and i'm not taking tv gaming as seriously as pc gaming where under 5ms is the now accepted standard for gaming screens.

So if your really into gaming looking at a low lag tv is a must. The recent sony ones are some of the fastest responding screens as far as i remember, though if something like a 26" would suffice for you a HDMI computer monitor of around 26-30" would be your best bet with about as minimal of a delay as you can get. Though you'll probably need seperate speakers as most monitors don't have them built in.

If on the other hand your going to a mates house switch off every function in the tv menu settings and switch it to game or pc mode if you have it as a pre-defined menu option.

Maybe i would have been better saying gaming on a SDTV after playing on a well set up HD tv will be disappointing.

Ermmm ? ey ? :blink:

You lost me half way through the second paragraph :P

It's like running too many things on a crappy computer. Put too many things going at once and it'll slow it right down. Same happens with a telly. Loads of tv's have "picture improving features" that the tv takes longer to process.

Basically, switch off all the pictures gimmicks (dynamic contrast, image sharpening, blur reduction etc) and it'll be faster and better for gaming.

Leave them on and it'll feel slow and clunky and you'll struggle to aim before the other guys have got you.

Leave them on and it'll feel slow and clunky and you'll struggle to aim before the other guys have got you.

YES this is the exact issue i found when playing in HD on other peoples set ups, just felt so sluggish and stuff, now i know !