Brakeless Mod

Jake.

Recently my mod's rear brake went kaput- hole in the maggy hoses.

I had a pretty decent hope brake, however it slowly died...

So- I ended up taking both brakes off, and after a few days I've suddenly found myself doing a LOT more bunnyhops, spins and flowing over obstacles.

Is this normal? And do you guys have any tips for riding a brakeless mod? I've seen plenty of brakeless street bikes, but hardly any mod or stock... So I can't watch how other people use the bike.

Cheers :P

Been there, done that. ;)

39171_10150230662060317_591170316_13927251_1675692_n.jpg

It's good fun! I pumped my tyres up a bit too so I could roll around much easier. Found myself doing hops and spins, and generally trying to be more tech. It's so much different to riding with brakes, and just not using them. You should notice the difference when you go back to brakes too.

Your bike looks nice :)

Do you still ride brakeless, if not- how long did you do it for?

Yeah I pumped my tyres up too, I didn't like how much it slowed down with the lower psi..

Oh yeah... That's one thing I recently noticed, I felt like I was riding harder and more tech too.

Got any videos of yourself riding brakeless? Would be lush!

Ah well, great to know that some other people out there ride brakeless mods too :D

I have thought about it... But didn't take the brakes off and rose without touching them at all during a trick, not even to slow down. Its great fun, i leaned back too much and fell hard a few times, but got up and tryed till i got it. Brakeless is fun!

• 11 months later...

Here is mine. I bust both my brakes and tried it for a couple of weeks. Really fun! Didn't get any spinny street stuff in but Ive got an Inspired frame to build up for a brakeless machine.

Edit: Here is the king though!

Edited by CalopS

Was about to come in and make a sarcastic comment about brakeless mods being wrong, but f**k me. That has to be one of the best videos i've ever seen.

So brakeless 24" bike's aren't wrong?

I've yet to see brakeless stocks...

Edit: Oh wait!

Edited by OnzaKid

[/media

myself riding brakeless stock

I saw your brakeless videos when looking through Youtube, pretty damn impressive ^_^

Skoze, whats wrong with Mods? :blink: I used to want to ride 24" but they're damn expensive.

Edited by OnzaKid

There's nothing wrong with them at all. A lot of people just don't like the way they ride.

Feeling's always mutual though - I've yet to have a go on an Inspired that I could bear to ride for more than 10 minutes ;)

There's also a few jokers who think 'cause they're smaller/lighter/easier to ride, that it's cheating. Still - they've taken great pains to make their stocks lighter and have more suitable geometry, so I guess they're cheating too ^_^

Skoze, whats wrong with Mods? :blink: I used to want to ride 24" but they're damn expensive.

I'm only messing with you dude, ride what you want as long as you enjoy it.

I've just never got on with any mod i've ever ridden, all feel so sloppy and disconnected (like the front end, for example - i always feel like i'm a billion miles away from the front wheel) compared to any stock or 24" i've ever owned. All of mine have felt super tight and solid. I guess I just like my bikes to feel like a proper bike.

Edited by Skoze

There's nothing wrong with them at all. A lot of people just don't like the way they ride.

Feeling's always mutual though - I've yet to have a go on an Inspired that I could bear to ride for more than 10 minutes ;)

There's also a few jokers who think 'cause they're smaller/lighter/easier to ride, that it's cheating. Still - they've taken great pains to make their stocks lighter and have more suitable geometry, so I guess they're cheating too ^_^

I guess so, good point there. And haha I didn't know that, I always thought bigger wheels was cheating as they're already higher up when they need to get up an obstacle. ^_^ Haha, I can't bear riding a stock for more than 5 minutes, that was over a year ago though. Need to try one out again.

I'm only messing with you dude, ride what you want as long as you enjoy it.

I've just never got on with any mod i've ever ridden, all feel so sloppy and disconnected (like the front end, for example - i always feel like i'm a billion miles away from the front wheel) compared to any stock or 24" i've ever owned. All of mine have felt super tight and solid. I guess I just like my bikes to feel like a proper bike.

Ohh, I didn't realize. :$ Hmm, true the front wheel does feel a long way away, but I quite like that- I feel more comfortable doing wheelswaps on them (well practicing them, I'm nearly getting the hang of it). I agree that 24" bikes do feel more like a proper bike, but I always think of Mods as a purebred trials bike and a stock seems more like a converted mountain bike (but I have nothing against stocks :lol: ).

Its not really to do with weight but the size that makes them easier to throw around.

I've briefly tried a brakeless mod but didn't think the geometry was well suited to it. Mod bikes generally have quite narrow margins with regards to balance points, removing the brakes seems to make those margins much easier to miss compared to say a lower bb 24"/stock where you would have more room to play with before looping out.