Middleburn Super Pro Trials Guard (16T)

Dan Jones

Same amount of force through smaller amount of teeth = more force applied to chain links. That's why BMX micro-drive setups tend to snap chains more often, and is sort of why people usually go for 18:15 or above instead of 16:14. If you replace your chain every few months it shouldn't be too much of a problem though...

Its not so much the amount of teeth (although that is directly related), more to do with the diameter, its a larger moment of force acting on the chain and sprockets. Ive not had any problems with my 16t middleburn with a trialtech lite chain, but then Ive never managed to snap a chain :$

What are the differences in wear time between the tnn 18tooth alloy bashring and the steel middleburn one? I imagine the allow would wear faster but for the price difference and weight difference i wonder if normal everyday use would see such a great difference between their lifespans? I shall be looking at getting one if my cranks ever turn up but have to make my mind up at some point, which i'd rather do well informed.

Also, the 16t version of the middleburn ring offers very little in the way of chain protection due to the low height of the bash compared to the chain. Is this the same for the tnn bashring?

In reply to the OP i had several kmc chains snap fairly quickly running the 16t bash, but a KHE would last several months to a year before being replaced. Obviously though the KHE does give a slight weight penalty and is prone to stiff links. The 16t middleburn ring was a nice piece of kit, but i don't think i'd run that ratio again.

Don't forget the Cloud9 18t 'Burns Bashkit which is available once again :)

Cloud9 development photos

Steve

The heatsink site is down for me? :unsure:

Also, the 16t version of the middleburn ring offers very little in the way of chain protection due to the low height of the bash compared to the chain. Is this the same for the tnn bashring?

The TNN 18t full bashring certainly looks to have more protection than the middleburn. Im still wary as to how long an aluminium sprocket will last though, my ti one is on the way out and will need a replacement, the 16t steel TNN is the same weight as the ti middleburn though :)

The TNN 18t full bashring certainly looks to have more protection than the middleburn. Im still wary as to how long an aluminium sprocket will last though, my ti one is on the way out and will need a replacement, the 16t steel TNN is the same weight as the ti middleburn though :)

The alu tnn bash has 15% wider teeth which makes it only single speed chain compatible. I guess that would help wear life a bit. I'd love to buy one and turn into into a half ring, but at £89 i don't think i could bring myself to do it.

Has anyone who's used an alloy chainring give a comment as to how long they last?

Ive used both TNNs and they both seem very good !! In fact - I ran the steel one for about a year and the wear seems fairly minimal.

Im also currently running the alloy 18T full one - it seems to be pretty darn tough !! Ive bashed it about pretty hard with no problems and the teeth seem to be wearing pretty well (as in I cant see any)

I guess keep your chain up to date and clean and it will last a long time.

PS - Real heros run the TNN 22T spider which weighs less is much cooler and gives a better ratio - 22:18....