Rider Or Bike

Ashes

74 members have voted

1. 1. Most important ?

• Bike
    • Rider
    • There equally important

Obviously it's the rider but a good bike helps a lot. Also having the bike set up properly helps, it seems like most of the riders i meet are incapable of setting up magura's .

I also think it helps if you stick with the same bike for a while, back in the day i used to get a new frame every few months but i ran out of money and ended up with a battered old Monty 231 frame. I did my best riding on that bike, i think thats because i got so used to it that on a good day it felt more like a part of me rather than something i was riding. That probably sounds a bit gay?

I almost bought one off of ebay a few months back but didn't bother in the end, mainly cos of the offset rear end and not wanting the headache of getting a dish-less wheel built. Also because i'd be disappointed that i cant ride it like i could in 2001. I wish i'd never stopped riding it , if that girl at work hadn't of smiled at me i reckon i'd be pretty good now ?

dry.gif ok great, I'm the only one that chose bike, but i've seen many videos where the rider isn't neccessarily big or hasn't been riding to long but they've always had a nice spec, light, decent bike, and to be honest i care more about the style of the rider rather than the bigness of their riding...? ;)

Bearing in mind some young guys aged 12 who can't afford anything along the likes of an 'ok' bike -

..of course it's all about the rider, but it's not often you'll catch a tip top bike rider busting out any sort of phat moves on some awful bike that's falling to pieces!

Once you've got a bike that is comfortable, appropriate and safe it's just a case of riding it hard 24/7..

It's definately the rider but I think the bike has a bit to do with it.

I know I'm a pretty low standard rider but when I swapped bikes with my cousin and had a go on his old DS1 I couldn't do anything on it whatsoever, only managed about 2 backhops before dropping the front end. Couldn't even half pedal a few pallets as the geo of the bike was that bad it just stopped me.

Agree with Phatmike about having a bike that's comfortable, sadly I'm yet to find such a beast, which is why I'm still struggling with the basics!

..of course it's all about the rider, but it's not often you'll catch a tip top bike rider busting out any sort of phat moves on some awful bike that's falling to pieces!

I don't know about that aspect too much - I've seen quite a lot of top level BMX and trials riders riding some sketchy stuff. Generally speaking it's just 'cos they ride a hell of a lot so their stuff gets ragged (e.g. had a go on Niki Croft's bike and the cranks were twisted, the bars were bent and it sounded like someone throwing a bag of spanners at a wall when you hopped it, but he beasted it round), but for some of them I suppose if you're sponsored by companies who don't make good products then you're more likely to have to run lower quality parts that aren't necessarily going to last as long or work as well.