Rider Or Bike

Ashes

74 members have voted

1. 1. Most important ?

• Bike
    • Rider
    • There equally important

I can sidehop and hook my BMX..... a newb on a great trials bike wouldn't touch me riding trials on a BMX, not showing off or anything just sayin' like

Not saying its huge but no-one with little / no skill could do that on a sick trials bike

Edited by Simpson

I can sidehop and hook my BMX..... a newb on a great trials bike wouldn't touch me riding trials on a BMX, not showing off or anything just sayin' like

Not saying its huge but no-one with little / no skill could do that on a sick trials bike

Yeh but youve got a slammed seat with no pegs and a brake so you're basically on a trials bike anyway!!!

Im riding portsmouth in a couple of weeks if you wanna show me some street. do you my mate joe, black, four pegs??

Rider.

Danny Garland (Criminaltrials-something-something on here) is such an impressive rider. Really big, smooth, varied and just generally enviable.

He's got a really old school bike which weighs an absolute tonne. It's that heavy that I struggle to gap >5' on it, yet he is a far far better rider than I am.

Edited by Bronz

Yeh but youve got a slammed seat with no pegs and a brake so you're basically on a trials bike anyway!!!

Im riding portsmouth in a couple of weeks if you wanna show me some street. do you my mate joe, black, four pegs??

That brake doesn't really work =P hahaha yea man anytime dude, you still got my digits?

Nah it's deffo the bike thats more important. Stick a guy on a trials bike who has never done trials before in his life and he can instantly pedal hop and side hop and etcccc! :-

Tbf the amount of little pikeys I see knocking around who can actually just jump on a modern trials bike and do basic backhops and things surprises me. I started out on a slightly modified regular mountain bike and average Joe couldn't ride it for shit, and it took me ages to learn anything new. Then I got a (now oldschool) trials frame and everything was 10x easier so I could learn faster and push further.

So although yes it's obviously the rider that has the necessary skills, modern trials specific frames make life a shit load easier! I doubt there would be anywhere near the level of riding I see today without the huge leaps in trials technology...

So 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Edited by Jolfa

Having said that, if you're not used to a trials bike they do feel really odd at first to anyone who doesn't ride trials. I've got friends who used to ride trials on really old school bikes but can't do anything on a modern trials bike because they feel so twitchy and like you're about to flip over the bars at any moment, whereas old school trials bikes at least felt vaguely 'normal'. A lot of people get on a trials bike expecting to be automatically able to ride trials on them when actually they just feel really weird if you're not used to it. Clearly though progression in bike design has pushed the sport further, there's no way people could sidehop and tap etc so high on an old Dmr Sidekick or something.

A good bike certainly can help you progress faster even if it's purely for the confidence boost that it's not going to blow up when you try something or that the brakes actually work but at the end of the day without a rider it's just a piece of metal and rubber, it's stupidly obvious which is more important.

Skip to 2:18 for Damon sidehopping a bmx.