Rim Tar Or Grind?

kustom-trials

Logically, if you think about stopping quickly, then making the rims rougher (grinding) is evidently going to be a greater advantage than tar, as tar just makes the rims (and everything else) sticky, which is not the main principle behind braking. To brake successfully you need 2 rough surfaces to rub against one another, therefore causing friction, which will stop you. Having 2 sticky surfaces will also stop, you but not aswell, because there isnt as much friction, as a stick substance is almost like a liquid. To your comment about a grind weakening the rim, that is not true. The rim will be the same strength in the vertical plane (which is what you want in a rim, and even horizontally, taking a few mm off the rim is not going to do much at all. Trust me, tar is a bitch and gets everywhere, but your choice.

That is my opinion anyway.

Edited by Jon Alty

Logically, if you think about stopping quickly, then making the rims rougher (grinding) is evidently going to be a greater advantage than tar, as tar just makes the rims (and everything else) sticky, which is not the main principle behind braking. To brake successfully you need 2 rough surfaces to rub against one another, therefore causing friction, which will stop you. Having 2 sticky surfaces will also stop, you but not aswell, because there isnt as much friction, as a stick substance is almost like a liquid. To your comment about a grind weakening the rim, that is not true. The rim will be the same strength in the vertical plane (which is what you want in a rim, and even horizontally, taking a few mm off the rim is not going to do much at all. Trust me, tar is a bitch and gets everywhere, but your choice.

That is my opinion anyway.

Well that's an interesting take on physics.

Tar is ok, but needs applying regularly or braking becomes worse than with a clean, smooth rim. Grinds last for ages. There'a always the Dremel option if you're scared of angle grinders or in a rush to go riding in the rain.

• 3 weeks later...

A harsh grind everytime accept if you ride lots of manual street stuff and want smoother style then use smooth rim and appropriate pads.

Grind works all of the time and the pleasing noise let's you know your breaks are working just fine, the noise is also good for alerting others of your presence!! It's finding your favourite pads that's hardest.

Most trials retailers will grind a rim if you don't want to go to work with the angle grinder......

As Ali C said you can trust it in the wet, which gives confidence in conditions such as the current weather.

Logically, if you think about stopping quickly, then making the rims rougher (grinding) is evidently going to be a greater advantage than tar, as tar just makes the rims (and everything else) sticky, which is not the main principle behind braking. To brake successfully you need 2 rough surfaces to rub against one another, therefore causing friction, which will stop you. Having 2 sticky surfaces will also stop, you but not aswell, because there isnt as much friction, as a stick substance is almost like a liquid.

Please dont listen to any of this.

depends on your setup, i.e frame flex and etc

if your running cable breaks maybe upgrade to hydraulic, cause cables tend to stretch and lose tension, though this is expensive and for quick fix replace cables

but to your question use grind :)

cables come pre-streched and don't noticeably stretch in use. Besides, it's not hard to put a tad more tension on the arms (if it's a vee brake), one of the many advantages they have over hydraulic systems

Tar belongs on a roof, on a road or in a smoker's lungs - not on your rim.

Grinds just feel way, way better. A lot more predictable (I always found with tar it was a fine line between "This isn't doing anything" and "Oh shit, my brake didn't let go...", not to mention the lack of any form of modulation), they perform better in the wet and they don't have to be reapplied as frequently.