Wrong Way Disk

Maxx

Did you even look at the pic?

And I ran my disk backwords.More out of rushing to get riding than anything. Never noticed a difference.

Nope. It will teach me for not lookin at photos.

Edit: wow I would'nt have a clue why he hasn'nt got it the wrong way.

Daz.

Edited by Cresswell_d

We can see there are arrows on the surface where the pads brakes and they are in the wrong way. I have the same disk on my Sky 2 but I don't known in which direction I must fix it so I can't ride ... (no others indications on the disk)

Here the arrows are more visible : http://www.al4bikes.com/b2c/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=TB6105036000

Edit : an another pic here, it is also the wrong sens : http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8435/32671133.jpg

Edited by Maxx

We can see there are arrows on the surface where the pads brakes and they are in the wrong way. I have the same disk on my Sky 2 but I don't known in which direction I must fix it so I can't ride ... (no others indications on the disk)

Here the arrows are more visible : http://www.al4bikes.com/b2c/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=TB6105036000

Edit : an another pic here, it is also the wrong sens : http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8435/32671133.jpg

The disk is correct in both photos. the "arrows" on the rotor need to point backwards....

In about four years of having a disk, I've never had an issue, so it's either an entirely theoretical issue - or only if you use the same rotor for a very long time (hardly the case, in this area of cycling :(), but

the spiral should lean "forwards". Ie - the way they are pointing in the picture is correct.

I'm no materials engineer, but it's something to do with different strengths of the material. It's stronger when being compressed than stretched, and in the idea that most of the time a brake will be used when rolling forwards, it compresses the spiral arms into the centre, rather than pulling them away.

I've seen a couple of those floating rotors rend themselves apart under heavy load, and whilst I'm sure it's happened - I've never seen a "normal" rotor do it.

That's my very sketchy understanding of it, anyway.

Hopefully someone with some actual knowledge instead of a dodgy memory of something I never properly knew can provide a better answer. I'd be rather interested in the specifics, if anyone fancies a good, long type :giggle:

Edited by aener

How do you know this ? There is no indication on the disk, just holes which are like arrows

Why do you assume it's not? :P

The arms should expand in the rotational direction which is why some people ride rear discs installed backwards believing that in trials the rear brake stops the bike from rolling backwards rather than forwards.

In about four years of having a disk, I've never had an issue, so it's either an entirely theoretical issue - or only if you use the same rotor for a very long time (hardly the case, in this area of cycling :(), but

the spiral should lean "forwards". Ie - the way they are pointing in the picture is correct.

I'm no materials engineer, but it's something to do with different strengths of the material. It's stronger when being compressed than stretched, and in the idea that most of the time a brake will be used when rolling forwards, it compresses the spiral arms into the centre, rather than pulling them away.

I've seen a couple of those floating rotors rend themselves apart under heavy load, and whilst I'm sure it's happened - I've never seen a "normal" rotor do it.

That's my very sketchy understanding of it, anyway.

Hopefully someone with some actual knowledge instead of a dodgy memory of something I never properly knew can provide a better answer. I'd be rather interested in the specifics, if anyone fancies a good, long type :giggle:

Correct, see in this pic how the rotor arm lean forward like a circular saw blade...... ( the red bits )

17388.jpg

Ok thanks alot ;) !

So on this pic, the front disk brake is really in the wrong direction, why benito does this ?

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3397/bicisaltarbascula.jpg

some people ride rear discs installed backwards believing that in trials the rear brake stops the bike from rolling backwards rather than forwards.

And does it really works ?

Ok thanks alot ;) !

So on this pic, the front disk brake is really in the wrong direction, why benito does this ?

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3397/bicisaltarbascula.jpg

And does it really works ?

indeed it looks to be wrong way round.

not a clue what difference it make, if any.

personally, i don't think it would make any differance to performance.....

shouldnt they make a rotor with symetrical arms then?

If the rotors are designed to take forces when moving forwards but not backwards, surely the stress on the rear rotor ( when going up to back wheel, gaps ect. ) would mean it would crack over time? I had a monty rotor that had been put on the wrong way round, and that cracked quickly. But with another the right way it was fine for ages.

I think theres a rotor with symetrical arms that comes with the Try-All edition Hope Mono Trial. That would take up the stress both forward and backwards.

And the rotor in the photo is the correct way round.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

shouldnt they make a rotor with symetrical arms then?

If the rotors are designed to take forces when moving forwards but not backwards, surely the stress on the rear rotor ( when going up to back wheel, gaps ect. ) would mean it would crack over time? I had a monty rotor that had been put on the wrong way round, and that cracked quickly. But with another the right way it was fine for ages.

I think theres a rotor with symetrical arms that comes with the Try-All edition Hope Mono Trial. That would take up the stress both forward and backwards.

And the rotor in the photo is the correct way round.

Some of them do.

If straight arms could be made as strong as curved (maybe they are - I don't know) it'd be a minor weight saver, too :P

This.

Same principle as old brick built bridges and archways. The material being forced in on itself helps to reinforce the arms where as it's far easier to sheer them apart when applying the force from the opposite direction.

so....peoples opinions here....(it may be different depending on the styles of riding)

is the braking forces on the front wheel rotor in trials similar to regualr riding? ie slowing the wheel when rolling forward

same question about the rear?

id think that on the rear anyway, the wheel (and therefore rotor) is more likely to experience the same force as it would if the rear wheel was rolling backwards...

all in all in terms of the forces experienced most....is the front brake stopping you going forwards, and the rear stopping you going backwards?

Edited by chris4stars