Windows 7 Phones.

Luke Dunstan

I know what you mean about the iphone, they are very smooth and easy to use. Nothing has come close to rival the iphone, but phones such as the HTC HD7 on the windows 7 OS look like a totally new animal, the flaws that have been mentioned before are things I'd imagine are easily updated. The good thing with the iphone is they've set the bar and now every company is having to up their game to compete. At the moment I'm leaning towards Windows 7 to be honest.

Seriously?!

The iPhone is a complete revelation by comparison - buttery smooth navigation and soooo much more polish. Just unlocking the phone is a pleasure. That's the one problem I have with the recent iPhone-a-likes (I.e. Android phones) - none of them have managed to achieve the same polish and smooth scrolling as even the original (3.5 year old) iPhone. However, I can see that there's certainly some advantages of the Android platform. I personally don't think there's better than the iPhone 4, though (granted, it's expensive).

As for Windows Phone 7 - it looks good actually. I think it's pretty early stages for it, there are lots of important features missing (copy/paste) and I don't think I could get along with it just yet. Give it 6 months and see what happens. I do like the interface though - Kudos for Microsoft to actually taking the time making something look nice. The various information screens pulling data from everywhere (Facebook, twitter, emails, texts etc) almost make the iPhone's app-based system look a bit dated! Unless Apple change the interface soon, I think a lot of people will move over to Android / WP7. I just might, out of boredom.

See my mate was sceptical about this first(hes got a 3g, but didnt want to get a 4, so borrowed my desire, which ive never had an issue with, but buttery smooth operation aint what i look for in a phone, i liked my 5800 because although clunky and crap, it got the job donw) but he had a play for a day or 2, and was impressed and has just got a htc desire HD, and says its easily as nice to use as an iphone(not to mention some of the custom roms that pretty much replicate the iphone to a T)

Trouble is with every phone, even if its a massive jump, you miss stuff, I for example now have the htc desire, and miss the fact my 5800 would work when im outside in the pissing rain(resistive touchscreen) or when ive got out the shower and am using it with wet hands. and the fact that the battery on it lasted longer than most of my relationships.

I know what you mean about the iphone, they are very smooth and easy to use. Nothing has come close to rival the iphone, but phones such as the HTC HD7 on the windows 7 OS look like a totally new animal, the flaws that have been mentioned before are things I'd imagine are easily updated. The good thing with the iphone is they've set the bar and now every company is having to up their game to compete. At the moment I'm leaning towards Windows 7 to be honest.

The iPhone interface basically hasn't changed for 3.5 years. It's been tweaked and improved but it's still essentially 4 years old. My theory is that Apple's engineers are constantly working on something new, a new/better interface. As soon as the competition catches up to the current iPhone, they'll up the awesome and release a killer new interface for everyone to get excited over again. It's taken nearly 4 years for Google / HTC to even come close to the iPhone.

Perhaps that's wishful thinking.

The iPhone interface basically hasn't changed for 3.5 years. It's been tweaked and improved but it's still essentially 4 years old. My theory is that Apple's engineers are constantly working on something new, a new/better interface. As soon as the competition catches up to the current iPhone, they'll up the awesome and release a killer new interface for everyone to get excited over again. It's taken nearly 4 years for Google / HTC to even come close to the iPhone.

Perhaps that's wishful thinking.

I see what you mean, and Apple always seem to play their cards close to their chest right until they release a new product/big update. I think Windows are the first to look outside the box of standard icons on a home screen/menu on a phone. I agree that Apple will probably never be de-crowned, and it's just how versatile it is that draws me in to wanting to get one.

How long do you suppose it'll be until they release a new one? I'm not too sure how long the time scale was between 3G to 3GS then on to the 4??

Google are doing the right thing though by having it open source so your not tied down like you are with iPhones and windows. Having had my 3G for 18 months I can safely say I won't be getting another iPhone, people keep saying get an iPhone 4 but if I did that I'd almost be stuck with the exact same phone albeit with better picture quality and a clearer screen. Though the main thing I look for is something I can use for entertainment for long periods like when I'm at work. I currently watch films on my 3G at work but the screen size tends to hurt my eyes and there's so much messing about to get them converted and loaded up onto it, I'll be far happier with an android I can easy run some oldskool emulators on hooked up to a wireless pad. I know this is possible with a jailbroken iPhone but I've been down that road and I wasn't impressed, it'll be far easier to do it on a phone where the app required is perfectly legal to obtain and doesn't require any extreme measures to get the games transferred onto the device which was a massive pain on the iPhone.

Edit: I believe apple are working on the successor to the 4 due to the problems they had when it first came out. Whether it'll be the same kind of device with faster connections like some websites are suggesting I don't know but I think it'll take more than faster Internet and downloads to pull people in.

Edited by isitafox

Google are doing the right thing though by having it open source so your not tied down like you are with iPhones and windows. Having had my 3G for 18 months I can safely say I won't be getting another iPhone, people keep saying get an iPhone 4 but if I did that I'd almost be stuck with the exact same phone albeit with better picture quality and a clearer screen. Though the main thing I look for is something I can use for entertainment for long periods like when I'm at work. I currently watch films on my 3G at work but the screen size tends to hurt my eyes and there's so much messing about to get them converted and loaded up onto it, I'll be far happier with an android I can easy run some oldskool emulators on hooked up to a wireless pad. I know this is possible with a jailbroken iPhone but I've been down that road and I wasn't impressed, it'll be far easier to do it on a phone where the app required is perfectly legal to obtain and doesn't require any extreme measures to get the games transferred onto the device which was a massive pain on the iPhone.

Edit: I believe apple are working on the successor to the 4 due to the problems they had when it first came out. Whether it'll be the same kind of device with faster connections like some websites are suggesting I don't know but I think it'll take more than faster Internet and downloads to pull people in.

As somebody said previously you can download VLC player. It works the same as it does on your desktop, and will play any type of video media without conversion. As everyone says, "there's an app for that" there usually is.

Spoke to T-mobile today who said that If I make payments on time for 6 months in a row, they'll upgrade me, until then I'm going to be put on a rolling contract. Though he said that there is a chance 3 months of payments may be okay. Basically enough time to make my mind up on what I want to get!

How long do you suppose it'll be until they release a new one? I'm not too sure how long the time scale was between 3G to 3GS then on to the 4??

Apple has very rigid upgrade cycles - Every iPhone so far has been released in June/July on a yearly basis. You can more or less bet there will be an iPhone 5 in June / July 2011.

Seriously?!

Windows Mobile was compete toss. Sure it had the features but it was completely, utterly, horrible to use. The iPhone is a complete revelation by comparison - buttery smooth navigation and soooo much more polish. Just unlocking the phone is a pleasure. That's the one problem I have with the recent iPhone-a-likes (I.e. Android phones) - none of them have managed to achieve the same polish and smooth scrolling as even the original (3.5 year old) iPhone. However, I can see that there's certainly some advantages of the Android platform. I personally don't think there's better than the iPhone 4, though (granted, it's expensive).

As for Windows Phone 7 - it looks good actually. I think it's pretty early stages for it, there are lots of important features missing (copy/paste) and I don't think I could get along with it just yet. Give it 6 months and see what happens. I do like the interface though - Kudos for Microsoft to actually taking the time making something look nice. The various information screens pulling data from everywhere (Facebook, twitter, emails, texts etc) almost make the iPhone's app-based system look a bit dated! Unless Apple change the interface soon, I think a lot of people will move over to Android / WP7. I just might, out of boredom.

Out of the box it was toss, but there was plenty of enthusiasm and ability from xda dev to supply and support tweaked romsets which included all the features which were missing/broken in the beginning. I always went to a vanilla install which removed the ghastly/slow touch flo interface and went back to the classic start menu etc... as I do on my desktop PC (it looks pretty much like Windows 98... I'm happy living in the past :))

I went to the iphone not expecting to have to put up with stupid glitches and appears that I do (The youtube/wifi is the only big gripe so far, but it pisses me off that it appears to be an old issue which hasn't been resolved other than changing router settings from the defaults which I'm unable to do other wifi networks I use)

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the box it was toss, but there was plenty of enthusiasm and ability from xda dev to supply and support tweaked romsets which included all the features which were missing/broken in the beginning. I always went to a vanilla install which removed the ghastly/slow touch flo interface and went back to the classic start menu etc... as I do on my desktop PC (it looks pretty much like Windows 98... I'm happy living in the past :))

I went to the iphone not expecting to have to put up with stupid glitches and appears that I do (The youtube/wifi is the only big gripe so far, but it pisses me off that it appears to be an old issue which hasn't been resolved other than changing router settings from the defaults which I'm unable to do other wifi networks I use)

Jon

Just decided on the HTC HD7 with Windows 7 os.

Downloaded Zune (Microsofts iTunes) and really like the way everything runs, with Zune you pay £8 per month to stream pretty much any album for free whenever and wherever you are, and you get to keep 10 tracks per month.

And for a brand new OS to be pretty much on par with Apple, this early on I think is promising.

Maybe i'll regret not going for the iphone, but I'll find that out when the phone arrives tomorrow.

What swayed away from android?

I like new things. :)

I like the look of Android, but from what I hear you can now get Android on the iPhone (hack), the iPhone can be partitioned and when you want to switch from Android to iPhone you have to turn it off and back on again. (Heard from someone else)

The main reason my mind changed was just watching videos of the 7 phones and how nice they worked, and Zune looks to be awesome.

I like new things. :)

I like the look of Android, but from what I hear you can now get Android on the iPhone (hack), the iPhone can be partitioned and when you want to switch from Android to iPhone you have to turn it off and back on again. (Heard from someone else)

The main reason my mind changed was just watching videos of the 7 phones and how nice they worked, and Zune looks to be awesome.

Very confusing but OK! hope you like the windows 7ness

I know it means nowt but I stumped for android and ended up getting a dell streak and I love it, so much nicer to use than my iphone. Good lad for not going to Apple!

Isn't the Dell pretty big? looks impressive though!

Everyone has the iPhone, it's nice to go for something different. And so far this phone is REALLY impressive.