Removing The Inner Wall From Rear Trialtech Sport Rim

giantwhore

Need to dump some weight off the back of my bike. So far i'm changing to lighter tubes, cutting down my bash, changing to alloy nipples and shaving every other knobble off my Kaiser. Back wheel consists of Trialtech Sport rim on a Pro 2. Frame is 2011 Pure.

Considering removing the inner wall from the rim. Curious how much weight that will drop any if anyone's had any experience in doing the same? How much strength am i gonna lose? I'm gonna be changing to a Viz rim soon anyways but could do without the wheel blowing up but willing to take a bit of a risk to see what the difference is.

Please only people who either have direct experience of this or sensible answers from experienced riders/ tarty guys.

Also if anyone's got any sensible ideas for dropping some weight without forking out any cash, please say so.

Cheers

Chris

Loose weight yourself, or get stronger.

Before you say, they are sensible answers.

Losing rotational weight off the rear wheel makes a bike feel completely different, much more flicky and accelerates much faster ;)

From what I understand singlewalling a rear rim will save about 80-90g from the wheel, alloy nipples over brass will save a further 60g or so, chopping knobbles off will save another 50g or so I think.

People have used angle grinders to chop out the inner wall before, make sure you go carefully and clean up any burrs with a file afterwards.

For me the best bang for buck, weight saving wise was foam grips, sounds silly but for a fiver you lose almost 100g off the weight of the bike. However making a heavy bike light is not cheap unless you have lightweight components already and youre hiding the extra pies in over strong components (like a dual ply tyre with a heavy duty tube). Have a trawl through tarty and sort components by weight, compare what your stuff weighs with what falls in your budget, I suspect you will end up spending alot of cash though.

A huge amount of weight it tied up in tyres and tubes, if youre smooth you can get away with a superlight tyre (rubber queen/maxxis single ply) and instantly lose 250g+ off the rear wheel, the downside is however you will lose stability. Bottom bracket and pedals are also pretty heavy until you move to titanium.

Edited by forteh

Took the inner wall of my Try-All reinforced rim out with an angle grinder a couple of weeks back.

I put it in a work mate and used the grinder to take out the metal and a file to sort out the burrs. Worked well, was about an hour from taking wheel out to putting wheel back in.

Felt noticeably more flicky at the rear afterwards.

...alloy nipples over brass will save a further 60g or so.

It's not quite that much - 32 Sapim nipples weigh 29g, so the weight saving is sub 29. Every little helps though.

Like Nick, I single-walled my rear rim recently. The better the job you do with the grinder, the less hard work you have to do with the file. You'll save around 80g or so at a guess, but you'll also gain more air volume for your rear tyre which is a bonus. Might have to check your spoke tension afterwards, by the way.

It's not quite that much - 32 Sapim nipples weigh 29g, so the weight saving is sub 29. Every little helps though.

Like Nick, I single-walled my rear rim recently. The better the job you do with the grinder, the less hard work you have to do with the file. You'll save around 80g or so at a guess, but you'll also gain more air volume for your rear tyre which is a bonus. Might have to check your spoke tension afterwards, by the way.

This.

It also caused me to have more pinch flats with thin sidewalled tyres.

Not too hard at all. You can eiter do it using a grinder or a hacksaw with a cobalt blade. I've done one with a cobalt blade and didnt take too long. Cut easily. Bounce brilliant too with the air volume your gaining too. I was very surprised. Although the tlrim didnt last as long but that's to be expected.