I Have Lost My Bottle, Advice Needed.

Happydaze

Hi,

As the title states I have lost my bottle, I am, what is known as an old fart (38) I took up riding trials after watching it on you tube about a 18 months ago. I became quite proficient on my bike in a year. I ride with younger and better riders and I used to have ago at what they were doing, within reason, but I have failed big time and had some proper get offs which hurt like f**k, The by product of this is that I have completely lost my bottle and its driving me mad. Its got to the point now, that any drop over 2 foot my riding goes to tatters. I can go up stuff, but I cannot drop off again.

I have started back at the basics just dropping off a couple of pallets then 3, put on the 4th and I am done.

Is it my old age and the fear of get bashed up again, self preservation taking over.

I am sure I am not the only rider to have suffered from this and I am not giving up riding. Im gonna ride for as long as I draw breath but I need to cross this barrier and any advice or ideas would be great.

Come on people help me out.

I have this issue after being off a bike for nearly a year , and am only 23 bud.

If you could do it before why can,t you do it now, you must have bottle to of tried the gap,tap etc which injuried you in the first place.

All i do if I,m losing the bottle on say for example a high drop is get down not look at the drop, and turn around get back up and do it...I,ve learned the longer you stand up there thinking about what could go wrong its most likely it will go wrong as your body won,t be relaxed.

Stop worrying about what could go wrong and see what will go right.

Thats just the way i deal with it , Lads on here will have some great advice for you and you,ll be back on form in no time

Sounds like a blessing in disguise..

A similar thing happened to me when I was about 13/14 and had been riding for a year or two. After doing big moves (for me at the time), I lost it and couldn't bring myself to do anything bigger than wheel height.

There's not a short cut to overcoming confidence, only will and practise. As you said, it's your body's natural survival mechanism taking over. If you're comfortable dropping off 3 pallets, then keep doing it. Try crashing on purpose if you can bring yourself to do it! I believe the key to being confident comes from being completely sure that you're going to nail whatever it is you're trying, or trusting yourself to crash or bail without injury if it doesn't.

The safer you feel doing 3 pallets, and with more knowledge that you can bail safely if you ever need to, you'll feel more and more comfortable doing 4 pallets. Once you know you're safe doing 4 pallets, you'll feel safe doing 5. When you feel safe being able to crash from how ever high, (it may be 1 ft. or 20 ft.) then for anything below that, there shouldn't be any reason for you to put yourself in danger by excessive fears and doubts, but leave yourself open from the rush of going higher and further.

Trials is all about risk, but unless you're completely wreckless, you'll want to take those risks with as much security and self-trust as possible. Use the fear that's holding you back now to boost your confidence in the long run. (Y)

I find its all about confidence and control on the bike, Im in a similar situation to you (32 and had 2-3 years off the bike until 18 months ago) and Im now far more confident in my ability and comfortable on my bike than I ever was, that said I dont push past my comfort boundry and that suits me just fine :)

As mike said, keep on the small stuff until youre 120% comfortable and moving about at those heights is second nature, then you can more easily move onto larger stuff with more confidence and belief in yourself.

Try not to keep up with other riders unless youre completely happy with the size of the stuff that theyre riding, progress when youre ready yourself and before you know it you will think nothing of the bigger stuff :)

I find watching videos of bails and stacks almost more motivating then normal videos. Like the video on Redbull of Macaskill's April 2009 bails shows how much he actually had to push himself to do those lines so then it made me want to push myself as much as he was, despite the huge skill difference.

And you can try visualization and that stuff, like thinking what you're going to do if something goes wrong and make sure it'll be easy enough to bail. Also you could try videoing yourself. When I made a video I realized how small everything I was doing was and saw that if I bailed it wouldn't be that bad.

And pallets are probably best for this as you can increase them bit by bit, although, eventually you'll just have to go for it and hope for the best, otherwise your progression will be pretty slow.

I find that visualising how you want to do the drop, and imagining yourself landing it perfectly really helps. Although it sounds stupid, it has got me to do some pretty big gaps and drops. I agree completely with the above posts self trust is key! If you can happily drop off 3 pallets, then why cant you drop 4, its the same technique you have just built a mental barrier :) good luck! hope I helped

What we do on the motor cycle trials is, if there is something big thats gona hurt if you get it wrong, then the group we ride around with will act as minders/ catchers. We are then much more confident that if it goes pair shaped then someone will catch the bike or you. I also do this with my sons as they are learning bike trials just now and that gives them a little more confidence that they wont fall as hard when they get the bigger stuff wrong. Being new to the bike trials it isnt the done thing it seems, as I have had a few comments when I have caught a rider thats got it wrong.

It is also an age thing and we do hurt more and take longer to fix but heyho, if you aint had a few crashes a day then you are not trying hard enough is a good motto! Hope this helps.

I'm definately with the idea of visualising yourself doing the move well. Maybe do a smaller version of the move and focus on storing the "Body english" and the feeling of calm mastery. Just as you trained yourself to have a fear response, you can untrain it :) I'm sure this is what top Athletes train themselves to do.

Steve

Would wearing more protective padding help? Like spinal protection? That way you know when you fall you won't get too badly hurt, just a few bruises but no broken bones. So before a big drop you can say to yourself "got my spinal protection on, i'll be fine". sort of like a placebo but it works as well :P

I'm just getting into trials at the ripe old age of 34, but here's what I've found in other situations where I've lost my mojo. How about getting off your trials bike for a bit? Borrow a mountain bike or a road bike and razz that about for a few days. Push your boundaries a little elsewhere. When you come back to trials you'll have a fresh approach and more rounded skills, and drops might not seem such a big deal. Sometimes you need to get straight back on the horse, sometimes you need to leave the horse be and ride another one for a while.

I know the feeling completely! I used to ride trials and also downhill when I was 16/17...I have now returned to trials and Xc at the ripe old age of 28 and I am struggling.

I was fine with the downhill sections of the trail centres until I came off a few months ao, not particularly badly but it hurt more than I remember so I am so warey of this now I am a complete pussy when it comes to the downhill parts.

I was determined that this wouldn't happen when riding trials so I almost force myself to do things to build up my confidence and it is certainly working. I think you are your own worst enemy at times like this and over thinking is the killer. I tend to ride stuff without thinking about it and when it comes off it is a great confidence boost. When I was 16 I would never drop off 5 foot walls but do it a few times and you realise that it isn't particularly bad (touch wood!)and you can move up gradually.

I was hoping that this would help me with my XC riding but alas I am still a big scaredy cat much to the amusement of my ridign buddies!

My advice (not an expert by any means) would be to go at your own pace but a bit of a leap of faith every now and then is not a bad thing...and don't think too much!

O.k

An update for you all,

Stairs.

I have found that if I find some steps, 2 for an example I have found get on the back wheel head to the spot, if you bottle or it all starts going wrong, ride down them, I moved up to 3 then 4 not at 5 yet but I now find a small drop is a walk in the park, And as in previous posts its all about visualizing what will happen, soon as the darkness pops in dont try it ride away. Be confident you can do it and it all starts dropping into place, up to now its all good.

Many thanks for the response

And the advice

Im on the mend and its because of you lot.

THANKYOU (Y)