Fractions

Kieran Morrison

Stuck with maths again.

How do you simplify a fraction? when i multiply fractions i would end up with a number like 586/3 (just say the / means the 3 is under it)

I need to know how to simplyfy it down, my teacher doesnt explain things properly so i have no clue what to do.

cheers

Stuck with maths again.

How do you simplify a fraction? when i multiply fractions i would end up with a number like 586/3 (just say the / means the 3 is under it)

I need to know how to simplyfy it down, my teacher doesnt explain things properly so i have no clue what to do.

cheers

Ask you teacher. Asking on TF aint a great idea. Can your parents not help?

586/3

You just divide 583 by 3 to get 195.333333

otherwise known as 195 and a third (1/3)

That's all fractions are 1/2 is 1 divided by 2 = a half = 0.5

586/3

You just divide 583 by 3 to get 195.333333

otherwise known as 195 and a third (1/3)

That's all fractions are 1/2 is 1 divided by 2 = a half = 0.5

So say the whole number in the answer was 4, it would be 4 and ?/?

And i dont understand the 1/2 is 1 divided by 2 etc

So say the whole number in the answer was 4, it would be 4 and ?/?

Yeah pretty much.

Do you even know what fractions are?

Fractions are used sometimes when say dividing 10 by 4. You get an answer of 2.5 so it's generally simpler to write 2½.

The ½ simpley represents 1 divided by 2 which just means a half which also means 0.5

Edited by JT!

In my mind simplifying fractions doesn't mean converting to 4 and a half (or 4.5), it means reducing a fraction to it's simplest form, as Rowan said.

IIRC both are acceptable when i was at school. I'd certainly say 586/3 isn't as simplified as 195 1/3. I think if it was in a test both answers would be correct.

take a look on bbc bite-size?

and are you sure your teacher doesn't explain these things , or are you just not listening to him/her ? if he/she is really that bad complain or see your head of department .

He explains them in the most complicated way possible, not alot of people in my class understand it.

And he like embarrasses you infront of the whole class if you ask him :lol:

And he is head of the department.

i know that but i dont understand how numbers like this 567/3 become 1 third when you simplify it?

567/3 is five hundred and sixty seven thirds. You basically have 567 * 1/3. When you simplify it you're looking for common divisors between the numerator and denominator. In this case that's three and as such 567/3 simplifies to 189. If you had 568/3 you have 568 * 1/3. Compared to the last example you have one extra third left over meaning that you could simplify it to 189 and 1/3. It's kinda like dividing with a remainder.

i know that but i dont understand how numbers like this 567/3 become 1 third when you simplify it?

567/3 doesn't become 1 third. It becomes 189.

Lets you have a shop that sells cake. you sell the cakes in thirds.

You have 67 of those thirds all boxed up individually and are ready to be sold.

How many whole cakes do you have?

To get the answer you simply divide by 3. You end up with 22.33333...

So you have 22 whole cakes, and one third, which can also be written as 22 1/3 (Twenty two and 1 third)

He explains them in the most complicated way possible, not alot of people in my class understand it.

And he like embarrasses you infront of the whole class if you ask him :lol:

And he is head of the department.

Find a maths teacher you like/get on with and ask them. It doesn't matter if its not your teacher, they can run you through the basics in a spare 10 mins. Do you have any mates/older siblings/parents who understand it a bit better?

I know it might be embarassing now, but you'll realise that its better to ask and get a decent maths grade than to try and save face and struggle on.

If your teacher tries to embarrass you, ask them what the f**k they think they're doing, and if they want to appear to be a good teacher by having a nice % (thats percentage) of people pass the test, you're gonna need all the help they can give.

i have to agree with simpson......

586/3 its the simpliest form of fraction... its simpler than 1172/6 but you cannot make simpler fraction of 586/3...

its like when you have 2/6 you can simple it with 2 because both can be divided with number 2 so you get 1/3 but this can only be divided with 1 what isnt important as you get the same number

hope that made sense as iam not english :D