Front Hs-33 Vs Disc

sayshell

I am considering switching from a front disc back to a front hs-33. I was thinking and what advantages do discs have? I really only use my front brake for locking so a hs-33 is much lighter, and I can run a non disc hub to save even more weight, its more reliable and requires less adjustment and reduces stress on the fork as lots of the impact is absorbed higher up where there is less leverage against the fork. Discs also rub basically no matter what unless you leave your lever really loose its basically impossible to have a straight disc rotor. Also discs are annoying cause if I mess up something I hit the disc and bend it.

The only con I can think of is if you bend your front rim it rubs and if you do backwards nose manuels they suck and I don't do those. Why does everyone run front discs? Also I guess noise, its nice to have 1 brake that stops and doesn't squeal. I can understand danny mac cause he does so many g-turns but why not save weight and improve performance and use a rim brake?

I thought hs-33's put more stress on the fork with it flexing etc.? Not sure if I'm right though!

I don't think anyone knows for sure its all theoretical, but even though hs-33 pushes outwards its only with a couple grams of force because its just your finger pressure + leverage and this side to side force isn't enough to damage a fork I think.

The big impact is forward and backwards because its stopping probably 100 kg of force + speed. With the disc its absorbed all at the hub so the fork suffers the maximum amount of leverage. With a rim brake the brake area takes most the stress I think because the rim directly contacts the tire and the first spot that takes the impact is the tire and most the energy is absorbed through trying to push or pull the clamps into the fork and only a small percent is used to prevent the hub from wanting to jump through the dropout.

But the welded HS33 mounts on the forks generates a lovely stress riser, invariably forks crack at the HS33 mounts. Disk only forks distribute the load along the whole leg length and are generally stronger than ones with HS33 mounts in the same application.

I currently jump between bikes with rim brake with grind or disc. So i can get different things from my bikes.

The modulation on a disc brake is a fantastic way to keep the riding fluid at speed and accurate on fast or slow forces of stopping which you probably already been over this one. When i go out for a ride on the rim brake with a grind i know what i want to get from this set up. On and Off with the slightest bit of modulation so i can adjust position if needed on awkward angles.

Every body wants a great brake. The thing that for years kept changing me from disc to rim and rim to disc was getting on a mates bike and finding he had a amazing disc brake set up and then you go and get your brakes changed and disc it up. only to find it is not enough braking force and you want more.

The title says Hs-33 Vs disc. What are they being used for to battle them against each other for your style of your riding? Maybe there is a solution for this.

you are much more likely to snap forks with a HS33 than a disk, as said the welds needed for HS33s happen to be where fork legs flex, this creates a stress point where they WILL eventually crack. Disc brakes still flex the legs, but the weld for the disc mount is in a much less stressed area.

I am a huge fan of front disc brakes and a huge hater of front HS33s. I hate the noise, the lack of modulation, the fact you have to deflate the tyre to remove the wheel and I hate the lever feel. A front vee would be more beneficial than HS33, but you still have the issue of noise.

(Edit: MY) Main issue with front rim brakes is the feel at the lever.

They're disgusting.

Having been running a disc for almost my whole riding time, front rim brakes just feel like scraping two rocks on the wheel.

I guess that means I like a spongy front brake :/

Haha.

Edited by aener

I like front maggie! I can't contaminate the pads, and i cant bend it when i sidehop. You CAN get modulation, just not as much as a disk. My mate ( Craig F ) has a front magura. Smooth painted sidewalls, Magura Red Koolstops and a Magura booster. It has so much hold and modulation and its silent! Although with disks it is silent and you dont have to ruin your rims by grinding. :)

• Like 1

I'm a magura man personally though this is partially down to the fact that no matter what I did (new pads, discs, fresh bleed, etc) I just couldn't get a front disc to hold so I went for the on off function of a rim brake. Pain in the arse if you live in a hilly area like I do though!!

you are much more likely to snap forks with a HS33 than a disk, as said the welds needed for HS33s happen to be where fork legs flex, this creates a stress point where they WILL eventually crack. Disc brakes still flex the legs, but the weld for the disc mount is in a much less stressed area.

I am a huge fan of front disc brakes and a huge hater of front HS33s. I hate the noise, the lack of modulation, the fact you have to deflate the tyre to remove the wheel and I hate the lever feel. A front vee would be more beneficial than HS33, but you still have the issue of noise.

that is interesting, but if a fork is properly heat treated then shouldn't the weld not be a factor? Because the mounts are just added over on top of the fork they aren't holding the fork together. Modulation is the main issue but you really only need that for nose manuels but you can work your way around that too. Just put 1 grippy soft compound pad on and one magura black pad on this way it locks really well if you push hard, but doesn't jerk when you push lightly. Do you use echo sl levers? Its the only hs-33 lever I can tolerate. The tire thing is annoying, but I usually pop the rear tire and the noise is annoying but tolerable.

After switching back to hs-33s they feel a lot better to me. Everything just feels a lot more solid and reliable and I love being able to coast without the rubbing. It is possible to set discs up without rubbing but I like my lever to engage quickly when I push it.

Edited by sayshell

another score for disc is that you dont have to set them up like a magura, almost no Maintenance , and if youre riding to youre spots, you can roll down the street without using half of your brakepads

and as its said here. more modulation ,and no annoying noices:) and i find my hope tech brake stronger than any of the hs/vees i have tried aswell..

For my ridingstyle i cant find any benefits for switching for hs33, but everyone has an opinion of this ofcourse

that is interesting, but if a fork is properly heat treated then shouldn't the weld not be a factor? Because the mounts are just added over on top of the fork they aren't holding the fork together. Modulation is the main issue but you really only need that for nose manuels but you can work your way around that too. Just put 1 grippy soft compound pad on and one magura black pad on this way it locks really well if you push hard, but doesn't jerk when you push lightly. Do you use echo sl levers? Its the only hs-33 lever I can tolerate. The tire thing is annoying, but I usually pop the rear tire and the noise is annoying but tolerable.

After switching back to hs-33s they feel a lot better to me. Everything just feels a lot more solid and reliable and I love being able to coast without the rubbing. It is possible to set discs up without rubbing but I like my lever to engage quickly when I push it.

it's not the heat treatment that's the problem, the weld is not a structural part of the fork, but it is placed in such a way that the fork wants to bend, but the mounts don't allow it to, concentrating all the stress at the edge of the weld.

I dislike front HS33's so much I can't put it into words, It's at the same level of dislike as lycra and silly high bb frames which funnily enough are all usually connected.