Dirt Jump/street Or Trials Bike

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

I would be interested in your opinion on what type of bike would suit me best.

It is either between a;

Dirt Jump/Street Bike

Or

Trials Bike

I enjoy jumping off walls, but more often a speed. Just a simple ride at it at speed, pull front wheel up and just drop off. I enjoy riding at speed, just jumping over things, jumping up and down curbs, going down steps, basically that sort of thing. I also enjoy doing jumps off a ramp.

I like the idea of a Dirt Jump Bike with a Front Suspension, as it does absorb some of the force when doing jumps, etc

I also like the idea of a Trials Bike, as I enjoy the idea of jumping up and off walls, getting over obstacles, etc

I would like to ride a more 'Street' style with both bikes.

I think I would go for a 24" wheel size in both types of bikes, or possibly a 26" in a Dirt Jump Bike, but I don't know if it would be suitable for street riding.

Could anyone offer any advice? I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks and ATB

James

How about an Inspired hex with front suspension?

Thanks for that suggestion.

I did originally think about getting a Trials Bike and putting a Front Suspension on it - But I think there must be a reason why we see no trials bikes with a suspension?

Also, if I am honest, the Inspired Hex is waay out of my price range.

Thanks again!

Well, you could get a very nice street bike. 24" frame with 26" wheels makes it nice a flicky and the wheel is slammed.

If you want a proper DJ bike, maybe think about an p3 2011, or Doberman or dartmoors and decent plus NS are always good.

Stay away from DMR!

Some of the older style frames are good all rounders, look at Ryan Leech's set up of a frame with a short travel fork that is a good all rounder (infact there are a few of the Canadian / North American riders that all have a similar set up).

I reckon you need to just keep an eye out on here and ebay to see what older styled bikes are about.

As the 24/26, I tried both and personally I preferred the bigger wheels/short frame combo (so I had a street trials frame built specifically for it).

Hope that helps

may I ask why suspension is needed for street?

You can pretty much do any kind of riding on any bike, street and trials are kinda the same, the same changes in geo give the same results, shorter back end for easy rearwheel stuff (backhops, manuals, bunnyhops, spins), higher bb for faster spins, steep head angle for nicer front wheel moves.

It just so happens that street mtb is about 5 years behind everyone else (though is catching up fast these days in terms of geo).

My overall opinion is that the geo of trials frames (Inspired Hex 26" and fourplay 24") are more suited to trials than a street frame, but ALSO more suited to street than most "street" frames too.

You can pretty much do any kind of riding on any bike, street and trials are kinda the same, the same changes in geo give the same results, shorter back end for easy rearwheel stuff (backhops, manuals, bunnyhops, spins), higher bb for faster spins, steep head angle for nicer front wheel moves.

It just so happens that street mtb is about 5 years behind everyone else (though is catching up fast these days in terms of geo).

My overall opinion is that the geo of trials frames (Inspired Hex 26" and fourplay 24") are more suited to trials than a street frame, but ALSO more suited to street than most "street" frames too.

Maybe so about the Hex and fourplay being suited to street, but the street frames you can get by other makes than trials are very good, also people probaly just like the feel and at the end of the day, it's all down to personal preference.

NS Capital, Suburban, Doberman Molosse, Blkmrkt Riots, all these are amazing frames for street. I know someone that runs street with a fourplay as he alos beleives that trials frames are very good for street;

Fourplay street setup (Pinkbike)

Erm, why?

DMR, snappy happy. There parts like cranks, rims and pedals are okay but people I know who have had DMRS and have snapped them (mostly DJ) Just stay away from DMR frames and forks.

Edited by Solasaurous

DMR are definately not snap happy...

I know for a fact that Pushbikerider on here has been running the same DMR frame for the last 7 years or so, plus other DJ mates who have or are still running them.

snapped

snapped

snapped

snapped

snapped

snapped

snapped spindle

snapped

snapped

snapped

f**ked

broken

broken

snapped

broken

snapped

bent

broken

snapped

broken

snapped

snapped

So there are handful of pictures, im sure you can google/pinkbike any brand of jump frame and find equally as many pictures of frame/part fails.

If you hammer a frame from jumping there are always going to be stress points that give after a while, and there are a lovely set of examples of DMR's ones.

Still doesn't discredit them as a manufacturer, its just perils of doing the sport that parts break.

I stand by my comment.

I agree with Ali C. I run 2 cogs on the back of my bike a 16t for normal trials riding and a 13t for streetier riding (in a bmxy sense not trialsy sense if you see what i mean) that way it makes the bike more dual purpose :P A slightly shorter stem if you feel the need too and i touch higher if thats your bag and that should be sufficent for what your after.

Hi Ali,

I don't think a suspension is needed at all, but I feel a lot more confident with a front suspension! That's just me I suppose. When riding a bike without a suspension (for example my BMX) I hate feeling the bumps of the roads. When I do jumps I feel less confident and have more of a 'shock' as there is no suspension - I try to absorb the drop with my body, but I still don't feel anywhere as near as confident and stable/comfy when landing a drop/jump.

I don't just ride street, I will ride DJ and again I feel more confident with a front suspension.

How does the Geo look on this frame? : http://www.scott-sports.com/service/files/images/products/others/photos/T18016078h08343206v16h46S03e98f4.gif

It would be the medium size frame I believe. Would it any good for what I want to do?

Thanks and ATB

James

If you want a dj frame get a NS sub as they are the way foward!

What do you think of the NS Metropolis 2? http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/dir_0008_ns/NS/Metropolis-II

Thanks and ATB

James

May not seem like the most helpful advice ever, but if you can get used to rigids, it would be well worth it.

Also that first frame you linked to, no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. super low bb, super long chainstays, super slack head angle, pretty much everything you DON'T want from a street bike. The NS would be better, but still not as good as something more aggressive.

So there are handful of pictures, im sure you can google/pinkbike any brand of jump frame and find equally as many pictures of frame/part fails.

If you hammer a frame from jumping there are always going to be stress points that give after a while, and there are a lovely set of examples of DMR's ones.

Still doesn't discredit them as a manufacturer, its just perils of doing the sport that parts break.

I stand by my comment.

Do you see this much of a sub or fourplay?

May not seem like the most helpful advice ever, but if you can get used to rigids, it would be well worth it.

Also that first frame you linked to, no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. super low bb, super long chainstays, super slack head angle, pretty much everything you DON'T want from a street bike. The NS would be better, but still not as good as something more aggressive.

Hi again Ali,

I understand what you mean about getting used to rigids, but I just feel it isn't for me. I have had my BMX for a year now and I still don't like having rigid forks.

Damn and blast, I have found what I think is a very nice bike with that frame, I was actually considering bidding on it! Looks like I will have to give it a miss.....as much as I don't want to! :(

Just to let you know, I will not just be riding street, I will be doing Dirt Jumping, and stuff like jumping off walls, etc (all described in 1st post).

May I ask what it would be good for then?

What about this bike : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-Atomlab-G-I-Dirt-jump-Street-Bike-/180679491223?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a11563e97&autorefresh=true (I know bidding has ended!)

Thanks and ATB

James

Edited by Jimbob 2705

the two most up-to-date dirt/street frames in my eyes (that are not also trials frames) are This NS Bikes Capital even though it doesn't say what the chainstay length is and still has a super slack head angle with sus forks, and the Dartmoor Cody which does have short stays, but still a super slack head angle and possibly a too low bb.

If I was knew to the DJ/street scene, I would go for a Ns traffic, or p.3 as they are dirt jumping machines, have a look at the Ns Majestys they are alos known for being good for DJ, very good. The best you can get for DJ is a banshee Amp, or so they say. Yeah caps are nice for street, my is so easy to chuck about and with rigids its a win. I dunno if I would do DJ on it as its short and a bit high but could be done if you are just starting off but then again the cap is up their so maybe start more near the beginner frames.

I think the only solution is a custom frame dude. If you buy one or the other it will always be a hinderance at some stage in your riding.

Thanks for the help Man! Where would you recommend I get a custom frame made?

If I am honest, I don't want to spend much, as money is a little tight at the moment.

Also, I am unsure what other parts I would get if I got a custom frame made - Would need quite a lot more thinking about other parts.

If I was to get a Custom Frame made, what Geometry would you recommend? (And I would also appreciate anyone else view - especially Ali's as he certainly seems to know his stuff!).

Please bear in mind that I will be using a front suspension, and I would probably go for 24" wheels.

Thanks and ATB!

The Atomlab bike looks pretty decent, although I ride a 26". It sounds like you definitely need a dirt jump style bike. And single speed if you can live with it, or maybe just a tensioner.

Welcome to the Forum Pete!

I do quite like the look of the Atomlab, but I'm not sure whether the Geometry would be ideal for what I want to do?

Thanks and ATB