Best Way To Clean Your Disc And Pads?

Si whitby

If you have to clean them then.

clean the pads with alcohol wipes and then you could heat them up with a blowtorch. that will get out any oil etc.

clean the rotors with soapy water and then when dry and back on the bike give them a wipe down with alcohol wipes. you should wipe them with alcohol wipes each time you touch the rotor

If you have to clean them then.

clean the pads with alcohol wipes and then you could heat them up with a blowtorch. that will get out any oil etc.

clean the rotors with soapy water and then when dry and back on the bike give them a wipe down with alcohol wipes. you should wipe them with alcohol wipes each time you touch the rotor

Cheers mate sounds like a plan!!

I normally take pads out and lay the sand paper flat and a few rub the pads a few times

next sand the rotor and get rid of the shinny glaze so it dull gray, bulid it all up,

cycle and drag brake and then wash with water do this sevral times and it will rebed pads and disks

cheap and easy works really well i do this with all my bikes, hard tail , xc full sus

same idea with hs33 fresh rim grind, pads a light sand, wash after ride (Y)

its all about keeping everything clean, pads and rotor get glazed with brake dust and dirt and loose bite

PS no chemicals can do more harm than good

Edited by weebryan

I normally take pads out and lay the sand paper flat and a few rub the pads a few times

next sand the rotor and get rid of the shinny glaze so it dull gray, bulid it all up,

cycle and drag brake and then wash with water do this sevral times and it will rebed pads and disks

cheap and easy works really well i do this with all my bikes, hard tail , xc full sus

same idea with hs33 fresh rim grind, pads a light sand, wash after ride (Y)

its all about keeping everything clean, pads and rotor get glazed with brake dust and dirt and loose bite

PS no chemicals can do more harm than good

There is disc brake cleaner that is fine. I would never sand the pads or the rotors. That is crazy.

there is no way I would put disk brake cleaner anywhere near my brake!

Clean water every time!.

whats wrong with brake cleaner?? i use it every day on motorcycle brakes to great effect.. pushbike brakes use relatviely similar materials for the same components that brake cleaner is designed for?

im not having a go or anything im just very curious as all the top riders like you say never use brake cleaner, use water!

and im having a lot of trouble getting a consistant feeling brake, so im wandering if brake cleaner is contributing towards that?

I think disc cleaner is ok for motor use because they get up to speeds and heats hot enough to burn though any film left by the cleaner. I am pretty sure most cleaners either have some sort of rust inhibitor or simply move all the gunk from around the brake onto the pads making them shit.

Clean water gets rid of almost everything, it impossible to get a brake back working to 100% once it's contaminated no matter what tricks you use, but water works as well as anything else if not better.

I think disc cleaner is ok for motor use because they get up to speeds and heats hot enough to burn though any film left by the cleaner

Thats why i flame it :P

I dont allow the cleaner to dry off at all, while its all still wet set a light to it.

Because its a liquid/aerosol burn, its burns hot and fast (only flames for maybe 3 seconds) It burns off any contaminants instantly