Computer Issues

MikeCottTrials

Ok so I have an oldish laptop. BUT it used to be not so bad post ram upgrade, however just recently it seems to have slowed right down to the point of being unbearable for all tasks other than word processing.

So far I've defragged, registry cleaned with Ccleaner, removed all spyware and I've done a full virus scan.

I also have 10gb of free space so lack of space cannot be an issue.

I'm considering reformatting but I'd rather not.

Can anyone suggest any other possibilities please?

There's a topic for computer related stuff:

10gb of free space isn't really enough, normally it should be about 10% IMO. (This is for OS drives, and I always get the best results having an OS partition of 250gb or less).

What OS have you got and do you have the install disk and the license key? Use them. Seriously it takes me 6-8 hours to reinstall my OS and all my software, far less time wasted than I've spent in the past trying to mend stuff.

Haha well when your hard drive is only 40gb...

As far as background programs go, there aren't any running. I think I'm going to go ahead and reinstall the lot, at the minute I can't even play music through vlc which is really annoying

I always notice a significant slow down if my OS drive goes over 50% full, thats on winxp32 though.

I'd go for a fresh install. Get your basic programs on, so antivirus, web browser, email client and any others you use frequently (itunes, photoshop etc).

Once your at a point where you've sat down and thought "yep, no need to shove anything else on for now" make a backup of the operating system.

If your running vista/7 theres a feature built in that will clone your install to a couple of dvd discs. Then in the future should you find it going slow again it'll be a whole lot less hassle to just shove in your backup discs and revert to the point just after you've installed all your files.

If your running vista/7 theres a feature built in that will clone your install to a couple of dvd discs. Then in the future should you find it going slow again it'll be a whole lot less hassle to just shove in your backup discs and revert to the point just after you've installed all your files.

Only on Professional and Ultimate I think?

40gb hard drive? I'd forgotten they came that small. :P

I'd go for a fresh install. Get your basic programs on, so antivirus, web browser, email client and any others you use frequently (itunes, photoshop etc).

Once your at a point where you've sat down and thought "yep, no need to shove anything else on for now" make a backup of the operating system.

This!

This may sound daft but if you can get some of the panels off the bottom it may be worth taking the fan out and making sure it's clean. My Acer started going really slow and it was overheating really fast, I wipped a panel off which gave me access to the fan, unscrewed it and pulled out literally 2 square inches of dust and fluff that had built up inside it. Once it was back together it ran a hell of a lot faster than before.

I'd still reinstall the OS after this though, like buying a brand new laptop for a few months!