Being Smooth

Grant-MacD

Give some thought to how you shift your weight on the bike when doing certain moves. Experimenting with this has helped me go higher and further while keeping things smooth. Also letting a bit too much air out of your tyres forces you to be easy on them otherwise its punctures aplenty!

Land drops flatter, try and land your front wheel lower but not too low that you smash your wrists. When you are going up something instead of landing on your back wheel try and land on to wheels to keep your momentum going.

Edit: Also just watch any of Stan Shaws videos.

Edited by Milo123

The guys have made some good points, however I always think that smoothness can be most noticed on gaps, to be smooth on gaps you must land with your bike pushed right out infront of you so that when you land you can absorb all the momentum with your legs ensuring that the bike doesn't just tank into the edge!

The key to smoothness is using your body to absorb ALL impacts, not letting the bike bar the brunt of it!

Adam

The guys have made some good points, however I always think that smoothness can be most noticed on gaps, to be smooth on gaps you must land with your bike pushed right out infront of you so that when you land you can absorb all the momentum with your legs ensuring that the bike doesn't just tank into the edge!

The key to smoothness is using your body to absorb ALL impacts, not letting the bike bar the brunt of it!

Adam

Pah! What do you know about being smooth? :rolleyes:

You got a bike again yet? :)

Only go as high as you need to on sidehops/taps/ups to two wheels so you roll onto it rather than fall onto it.

I kind of agree and disagree with that. Personally I think it looks smoother when you go a bit higher - exactly the height of the obstacle so you kind of manual into it (if going to rear wheel). Usually going "as high as you need" would mean your rear wheel will be a bit lower than the edge of the wall.

Also some nice touches - when you're gapping lock the rear brake just before you land. With rolling moves perhaps hit the brake just after you've landed which could mean you're going to execute a tiny manual. If you're doing a gap to front wheel or anything where you have a lot of momentum, don't use the brakes too much and slide onto the obstacle.

Either way I don't think one can practice smoothness. It's something you learn with time although a lot more quickly if you're aware of it.