New Profile Hubs

J.KYDD

"- freehub features 204 points of engagement with 6 pawls and springs"

Wow sounds good, I hope they're not going to be ridiculously expensive... I'm guessing £250/300 tops.

Lets hope they don't slip as bad as a King hub.

Edited by OnzaKid

The BMX version has been out since 2010 and they're around £350-ish for the rear hub.

Lets hope they don't slip as bad as a King hub.

Get it serviced by someone who knows what they're doing and they're usually fine. It has a totally different engagement system anyway so it's not really comparable in any way...

The BMX version has been out since 2010 and they're around £350-ish for the rear hub.

Get it serviced by someone who knows what they're doing and they're usually fine. It has a totally different engagement system anyway so it's not really comparable in any way...

Holy... £350. Is it worth it? I found that the old profile hubs were really good, if these ones are better then I'd give it a go at some point.

I didn't realise it had a different engagement system, what's the difference? I've never ridden one but have had generally heard bad stuff about them.

I didn't realise it had a different engagement system, what's the difference? I've never ridden one but have had generally heard bad stuff about them.

So you'd heard bad things but not anything about how it works? :P They've got a totally different ratchet and driver to the Mini. If you Google it there are a few pics showing the internals. 68 tooth ratchet with 6 pawls. From the reviews I've seen online they work pretty well, but that was from trails/park riders so not super representative of what they're like to use if you need to crank at stuff more. Similar sort of system to the I9 hubs and they've got a pretty good reputation, so I suppose they should work. If they did a 32h option I might be tempted by the singlespeed version, sort of...

So you'd heard bad things but not anything about how it works? :P They've got a totally different ratchet and driver to the Mini. If you Google it there are a few pics showing the internals. 68 tooth ratchet with 6 pawls. From the reviews I've seen online they work pretty well, but that was from trails/park riders so not super representative of what they're like to use if you need to crank at stuff more. Similar sort of system to the I9 hubs and they've got a pretty good reputation, so I suppose they should work. If they did a 32h option I might be tempted by the singlespeed version, sort of...

Rear Single Speed Hub Details

- freehub features 204 points of engagement with 6 pawls and springs

- available in 32 hole and 36 hole

• Like 1

This is how I think they work:

The pawls have multi teeth on it so that catch in three positions as in they engage over a larger angle of the rotation.

On a normal hub one pawl has only one point of contact, when the pointy bit of the pawl lines up with the driving face of the ring. With three teeth per pawl there are three points where the pointy bit lines up with the driven part of the rings tooth so more engagements.

Crap description but I can see how it works in my head which is no use to you I spose.

7774.jpg

• Like 2

The pawls have multi teeth on it so that catch in three positions as in they engage over a larger angle of the rotation.

On a normal hub one pawl has only one point of contact, when the pointy bit of the pawl lines up with the driving face of the ring. With three teeth per pawl there are three points where the pointy bit lines up with the driven part of the rings tooth so more engagements.

The three 'pointy bits' engage at the same time as each other though, so there's not really more engagement. The ridiculous engagement amount is 'cos of the 68-tooth ratchet ring:

dsc_0014.jpg

/\ Compared to the standard Mini there.

The three 'pointy bits' engage at the same time as each other though, so there's not really more engagement. The ridiculous engagement amount is 'cos of the 68-tooth ratchet ring:

dsc_0014.jpg

/\ Compared to the standard Mini there.

exactly, it will just have 3 times as much area engaging at one time giving a more positive engagement and less chance of the it skipping, bet these will sound amaing though and LOUD