Free Hub Vs Fixed And Freewheel

thorn2403

I need more engagement points on my Phase but don't know whether to go for a fixed hub and get a freewheel or go for a better freehub...

currently the options are

Trialtech hub and Echo SL freewheel (£102)

or Hope Pro 2 trials (£110)

any suggestions as to which would be better?

p.s. I want it to be loud :P

nothing wrong with pro2's, i own one but given the choice id go for FFW its generally lighter, moves the weight more central to the bike, cheaper and cheaper to replace any parts in future, gives you a stronger wheel due to the wider flange spacing, easier to maintain, the list goes on, so yeah id go front freewheel :P

Go for the Echo SL (Y)

Super reliable freewheels with more than enough engagements.

However, go for the Echo TR rear hub as against the Trialtech. Heard of a few people stripping the threads on the Trialtech Hub.

Tartybikes also offer the option of Custom Hub Modification, in which they will shorten the hubs axle spacers if your looking to run snail cams in a horizontal 135mm spaced frame

(Y)

Just for a side note, when you want to get a freewheel and you have a freehub right now, then you need to get new cranks with freewheel thread on them. something like http://www.tartybike...c514p10467.html that.

Not really, if he's already running 22t cranks as standard on a phase then an 18t freewheel on a fixed hub at the back will be fine until he saves up a bit more cash to splash out on some threaded cranks and a new sprocket.

EDIT: I'd also agree with Echo Lite 09 and get the TR hub!

Edited by isitafox

Not really, if he's already running 22t cranks as standard on a phase then an 18t freewheel on a fixed hub at the back will be fine until he saves up a bit more cash to splash out on some threaded cranks and a new sprocket.

EDIT: I'd also agree with Echo Lite 09 and get the TR hub!

But then he would loose the one big benefit of FFW. Weight would be still on the rear not move to center of the bike. So on that case it would be probably better to get pro2.

• Like 1

Not really as he can still upgrade to ffw. You said if he wanted to upgrade to FFW he'd "have to get FFW cranks", for some people it might not be affordable to splash out all in one go. Also a Pro 2 weighs in at 427g plus the sprocket and spacer kit, the TR hub and SL FFW only weighs 394 so it'll be over 100g lighter anyway plus cheaper even if the weight was still over the rear.

Edited by isitafox

No you'll probably have to get new spokes with the wheelbuild. If you do it my way and go for a TR or trialtech rear hub with a FFW screwed on then you can always upgrade to threaded cranks at a later date when you can afford them and the gear ratio will remain the same with running the freewheel on the rear. Plus it's still lighter than a pro2 and cheaper.

No you'll probably have to get new spokes with the wheelbuild. If you do it my way and go for a TR or trialtech rear hub with a FFW screwed on then you can always upgrade to threaded cranks at a later date when you can afford them and the gear ratio will remain the same with running the freewheel on the rear. Plus it's still lighter than a pro2 and cheaper.

fair enough, that sounds like a good plan lol

I've emailed tarty bikes and the echo sl is out of stock for 3 weeks so would I be better of waiting for it to come back in stock are any of the others (like the Rockman sport) any good?

No wait for the SL, the only freewheel worth having!

I thought you where gonna say that

I've got a 36 hole rim at the moment so might as well treat my self to a full wheel. Probably going to go for:

Echo TR rear hub

Echo TR rear rim

Echo SL 108

Black spokes

Try-All XXL rim tape

and a wheel build

All for £190 including postage.

I've got a 36 hole rim at the moment so might as well treat my self to a full wheel. Probably going to go for:

Echo TR rear hub

Echo TR rear rim

Echo SL 108

Black spokes

Try-All XXL rim tape

and a wheel build

Aye it'll be a good build that, TR rims are especially good at holding a grind!

From what I've heard you can get away with changing the rear hub to a pro 2 without changing the spokes, the spoke lengths are near enough the same for the pro 2 as the standard shimano hub. TF member Joshm1991 managed it on his phase anyway, you could ask him about it. £190 seems like a bit much when you could save £100 and buy a used Pro 2. But maybe you have more money than me! :)

From what I've heard you can get away with changing the rear hub to a pro 2 without changing the spokes, the spoke lengths are near enough the same for the pro 2 as the standard shimano hub. TF member Joshm1991 managed it on his phase anyway, you could ask him about it. £190 seems like a bit much when you could save £100 and buy a used Pro 2. But maybe you have more money than me! :)

Valid point... you cant upgrade to a FFW though with a pro 2

plus most rims seem to be 32 hole so if i went for a pro 2 and wrecked my rim, I'd be limited for choice :/

I'll have to think lol

Echo TR rear hub

Echo TR rear rim

Echo SL 108

Black spokes

Try-All XXL rim tape

and a wheel build

sounds about right but id suggest a trialtech rim if you can afford to splash out a little more

im gonna be thinking about getting a new hub for my phase too and if youre gonna go for echo tr rim and hub get the wheel thats already built on tarty then thats £100 and then get a freewheel and it works out alot cheaper. thats what i think im going for.

im gonna be thinking about getting a new hub for my phase too and if youre gonna go for echo tr rim and hub get the wheel thats already built on tarty then thats £100 and then get a freewheel and it works out alot cheaper. thats what i think im going for.

I would go for that... but I want the blue rim to match my pedals :P

its just all round better quality stuff, guarantee it will last you longer and probably make your brake better aswell

i see... too many options!!! :S