Pedal Ups (To Rear)

kaybs41282

Right, I'm going to put this in the Beginners section as I really am a beginner when it comes to this move. I seem to be progressing with most other moves that I learn but I'm struggling with this. I know the theory, I know the technique and I can do this up to around 2 curb heights. Can anyone give me some tips as to how I can gain height? Is it the arms? the drive train kick? or a bit of everything?

Also, how far away from the object should I aim to instigate the move?

I see people hopping up onto objects much higher than me with great ease so do I just need to practice?

The annoying thing is I can get the hang of other much harder moves but I feel like this is hindering me learning more!

Any help gratefully received

Chris

now i'm going to give you some tips, i can backwheel 36" and have bunny hopped to back the same. however wether i'm doing it right or not is a different matter haha.

i reckon you're better off starting pedal ups on something worth getting up. try 3-4 pallets

like 24". if you can pedal up onto things to two wheels you're half way there.

if you get the technique etc. it should just be a case of a bit more speeed ( not to much mind!) and a lot more effort, bigger kick etc. concentrate on pushing your arms and the handle bars away from you into the sky. push your whole body behind you're back wheel. look at pictures of benito and imitate that.

also, no pedal ups are done with ease, at all. benito can't just hop up onto stupidly high things without any effort/thought. it's impossible. it will become easier with practise. but the effort and power still has to be there.

here's me doing it

as I say whether I'm back wheeling "right" I don't know. good luck :) also, it will take time a good few hours atleast (of practise)

I agree, your taking off from way too far away looking at that clip. I found the best way to learn to pedal up stuff (back in the day) was to start off with something about 2' tall, approach it at walking pace then when your just over a bike length away pedal the front wheel up with your bad foot so it taps the front edge of the wall/pallet/step then kick with your good foot and push the bike up. This way your using the rebound off the front tyre to bounce you up and help you along. This was how I learnt about 12-13 years ago from watching tricks and stunts and chainspotting and it was a good starter, when you start getting bigger you just have to put more power down and jump more as you'll be less likely to be able to tap the front wheel on the top of the obstacle.

It's hard to explain but I'll try and find the clip off t+s I'm on about and get it posted for you to see!

EDIT: Just cut the part I'm on about out of tricks and stunts, will upload to vimeo for you to watch if you haven't already seen it before!

Edited by isitafox

Brilliant thanks matey, good idea tapping I'll give that a whirl too. I think I need to be getting my weight further back too after watching Liam's clip to keep me on the back wheel.

Edit: got a link to the vid? Can't find it!

Edited by kaybs41282

Here's the vid, stuck it on youtube in the end. Hope it helps!

3:39 is the exact technique I learned back in the day (having watched Martyn in slo-mo about a hundred times!) and which I still use to good effect today. He goes in too fast but starting good foot down then giving 3/4 pedal stroke with all the power coming in the final little kick is pure win.

3:39 is the exact technique I learned back in the day (having watched Martyn in slo-mo about a hundred times!) and which I still use to good effect today. He goes in too fast but starting good foot down then giving 3/4 pedal stroke with all the power coming in the final little kick is pure win.

I do mine similar, but with a full pedal stroke, so I basically start with zero speed. It's a habit I'm trying to break so I feel less uncomfortable at a higher speed :(