What The Hell?

MadManMike

So having had two new people move into my house in August, we contacted Southern Water to get a new account sorted.

Just got a bill, for 24 days (August to September) and it's £154.

Anyone else experienced that kind of large bill?

At a guess, something is leaking somewhere and making us lose epic amounts of water!?

Is it readings from a meter or a predicted bill you get? What was it previously? If it was ~£50 (presuming its just you who lives there) they could have trebled it on a prediction?

Apparently a meter reading. A guy that lives two minutes away is also metered and pays less than that a year...

Previously, not sure - my housemates sorted it and I gave them a share, though that covered everything (Gas etc...) and came to nowhere near this much. There's three of us that live here, but none of us use much water.

Sounds like there's something up there. Are both readings actual readings and not estimates?

Turn off all the taps in the house and go and check to see if the meter is still ticking over. Obviously if it is then you've got a leak somewhere and i think that anything from the meter back is your responsibility so you'll be wanting to put a stop to it asap.

p.s. the water meter may be under a little cover in the street. took me ages to find mine. Also i'm with southern water and i think i only get mine twice a year...?

.......e as your bills are paid automatically.

You can choose when in the month the payment is made, giving you greater control over your money. You can pay either yearly, twice a year or monthly, spreading the cost over the whole year.

You can pay by Direct Debit whether you receive sewerage services only.......

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/DomesticCustomers/payingYourBill/directDebit.asp

could yours be set to yearly?

If that amount was from true readings I'd have someone come out and check the meter isn't f**ked up. If not I'd be really concerned about where all that water is going. :ermm:

Sounds like there's something up there. Are both readings actual readings and not estimates?

Turn off all the taps in the house and go and check to see if the meter is still ticking over. Obviously if it is then you've got a leak somewhere and i think that anything from the meter back is your responsibility so you'll be wanting to put a stop to it asap.

Just check on this as it was the case but a couple of years ago we had a leak under the patio, the water board came and repaired it for free, but I did ask them as I had seen some were on the net they have to do it for free now due to losses etc, a bit evasive at first but finally told me it would be free.

Do what I do, shower at work, take a flask home to make a cup of tea and put the rest in a hot water bottle for bed time, saves a fortune :D

Dont forget to got to the toilet too as why do it in your own time?

• 2 months later...