Sidehop Technique Help & Questions

the mysterious leemur

Well ever since learning to sidehop a when I was a total noob I have always been told that I sidehop the "wrong way " . I am left footed and gap to the right like most people but I sidehop with my left foot towards the obstacle . Is there actually any problem with doing this as I find the "normal" way uncomfortable and tend to get my right pedal caught . thanks

No problem with it. I know three people that do it.

People only class it as the "wrong" way because so many more people prefer to go away from their front foot.

I used to go your way, but one day suddenly switched. Wasn't a decision, just realized I found the other way easier all of a sudden.

Go whichever way you prefer.

I totally disagree, it's not a personal preference! If your left footed then you need to be going to your right, I know it feels odd at first but stick at it and after a while.

But one day all of a sudden it will feel right.

Oh course it's a benefit to beable to go both ways.

The main reason why its better is because you have to travel less distance, basically having to clear the pedal, and you leg is in the way for body movement.

If you look at every all the riders who can side hop big they all go that way, with no excetions!

I know it may feel totally wrong at first but the sooner you try to learn the better, when going the wrong way you are reinforcing that bad technique into your head, this making learning the correct way even harder

that's because he's used to going one way then has learned to go the other way, of course he isn't going to be as good.

I used to think you should only sidehop away from your forwards foot but I changed my mind a couple of years ago. There is no reason why you can't go as high going the "bad" way plus if you ever start riding street being able to tuck to that side of the bike will really help with bunnyhops and spins.

So you think he could go just as high to his right hand ?

Same weight, same amount of power differentt tech but 2 out comes!

So we put it down to more developed muscles on one side, or technique?

Totally agree with the other points

that's because he's used to going one way then has learned to go the other way, of course he isn't going to be as good.

I know Ali,but it´s interesting that if people learn to do sidehops to the "wrong" side,their technique looks much smoother and even when they learn to do sides to the right side,it looks completely normal.

So you think he could go just as high to his right hand ?

Same weight, same amount of power differentt tech but 2 out comes!

So we put it down to more developed muscles on one side, or technique?

Totally agree with the other points

If 2inches is big difference for you...

1:12 Edited by ghostrider88

Just to add in more info , I can sidehop to both directions but the "right " way I can to quite a lot less and find it much harder as much emphasis is on the rear of the bike whereas the "wrong" way there is more on the front which I find gives you more control on the landing especially on natural terrain . I also ride quite a bit of street . Might not make a difference but I ride a pretty long 20" bike wheelbase is about 1035mm.

I know Ali,but it´s interesting that if people learn to do sidehops to the "wrong" side,their technique looks much smoother and even when they learn to do sides to the right side,it looks completely normal.

If 2inches is big difference for you...

1:12

I'm pretty sure Gilles would have gone to his right for the first sidhope he ever did unless he was told different, same as pretty much all of people, iv seen quite a few beginner riders around over the years and they pretty much all start by going towards the front foot!

I know that's how I started!

Where do you get 2 inches from ? Is that a guess at what the difference is on the 2 techniques?

If it is I would gues more like 6 inches which is a fair difference, average penis size is 5.9 inchs

I totally disagree, it's not a personal preference! If your left footed then you need to be going to your right.

Why don't you try and tell that to Mr Tunnicliffe?

He's left footed and sidehops to the left i know some people who do the same.

So in theory it is personal preference..

Why don't you try and tell that to Mr Tunnicliffe?

He's left footed and sidehops to the left i know some people who do the same.

So in theory it is personal preference..

Not a problem! I can guarantee if he learn to go to his right hand side he could go higher!

Just to add in more info , I can sidehop to both directions but the "right " way I can to quite a lot less and find it much harder as much emphasis is on the rear of the bike whereas the "wrong" way there is more on the front which I find gives you more control on the landing especially on natural terrain . I also ride quite a bit of street . Might not make a difference but I ride a pretty long 20" bike wheelbase is about 1035mm.

sounds like you answered your own question in that case

Was just saying why I found it easier , I wanted to know if their is any solid noticable performance increase .

People will give you arguments such as the above concerning pedal clearance on the wall...

Another favorite is that it's easier to tuck further going away from your front foot since there is no foot/pedal obstructing where your hips would naturally want to move to.

I can't help but feel that these slight advantages are far outweighed by your discomfort on the manouvre, so I'd say keep going the way you prefer, but try going the other way every now and then just in case your mind switches without you realizing. Also try going the other way sometimes for no more reason than it being good practice ;)

if you ever start riding street being able to tuck to that side of the bike will really help with bunnyhops and spins.

You just identified my personal hell :

I wish I didn't used to be so into TGS. It's ruining my life just at the moment.

• Like 1

People will give you arguments such as the above concerning pedal clearance on the wall...

Another favorite is that it's easier to tuck further going away from your front foot since there is no foot/pedal obstructing where your hips would naturally want to move to.

I can't help but feel that these slight advantages are far outweighed by your discomfort on the manouvre, so I'd say keep going the way you prefer, but try going the other way every now and then just in case your mind switches without you realizing. Also try going the other way sometimes for no more reason than it being good practice ;)

some really good points, the only thing i would want to add is that trials isnt a walk in the park its pretty difficult sport to learn there is no need to avoid it because you have found an easy way..

Where do you get 2 inches from ? Is that a guess at what the difference is on the 2 techniques?

If it is I would gues more like 6 inches which is a fair difference, average penis size is 5.9 inchs

It's ok no one will laugh. :P

A new Standard unit of measurement is born the AP= 5.9 inches.

I can side hop about 4 AP's :lol:

Why does everyone give Kerr shit when he tries to help people?

Change the f**kin record is it, everyone has their own opinion, at least he is willing to say his unlike the many sheeeeeeep on here (not specifically in this topic)

Edited by Matt Vandart

It's ok no one will laugh. :P

A new Standard unit of measurement is born the AP= 5.9 inches.

I can side hop about 4 AP's :lol:

Why does everyone give Kerr shit when he tries to help people?

Change the f**kin record is it, everyone has their own opinion, at least he is willing to say his unlike the many sheeeeeeep on here (not specifically in this topic)

thanks for sticking up for me even though i rip into your shit sidehop technique lol