180's ?

Carlperkins

ok so today I started doing 180 bunny hops. so far i'm not doing bad...

roll up to the point I want to bunny hop carve to the right, bunny hop and manage the 180...

now one of two things will happen...

1. I will land whilst leaning to the left and my left foot will go down..

or

2. I will land ok, but on landing I have lost all momentum and when I start pedalling backwards to fakie.. I just go nowhere.

I've had one or two where i've pulled a real nice smooth 180 then had momentum to fakie out..

any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? I may be able to get a video sometime if needed?

any help is much appreciated!

throw a video up bud!

but to be honest, those symptoms are pretty much the same thing every single rider goes through whilst learning 180's by the sounds of it :lol:

what bike are you attemting them on??

ahh ok, ill get a video up probably within the next 2-3 days. im doing it on an brakeless inspired element, same one i'm selling haha.

but if I start nailing spinny tricks quick enough... I may end up keeping it and getting rid of my echo.

yup, all about the upper body controlling the spin. With the rollbacks, I struggle with them at times, Mark says it's the hips, that kinda makes sense in my head, just keep the weight back, try not to put too much pressure of the pedals and let the bike do it's thing.

Ahh, what im finding at the moment is that i carve to nearly 90 degrees before i even jump. Ill see if i can get a quick video for you guys on wednesday night.

As to what ali said.. Yeah i do tend to land leaning on the bars and with plenty of pedal pressure, ill try loosening up a little and leaning back. Thanks for the help so far guys!

For a 180 you dont need to focus on the carve too much - its only a 180, carving too hard will just get you all out of position. The main thing with spins is to turn your head, if you turn your head then your body will follow. As for the roll back you have 2 main choices:

- Land with you front wheel straight and go for the fakie, which you need to use your hips to keep your weight back.

- If you learning its probably easiest to land with your front wheel at a slight angle this will pull your back round 180 as soon as you land and then you just need to focus on getting your momentum going forwards to keep it looking smooth.

And as for taking your foot off, thats just you being a pussy, just commit and the more times you fall the quicker you will adapt to keep upright, so practice on grass if you want.

And as for taking your foot off, thats just you being a pussy

i know that bit.. haha. im fine practicing on concrete, its just sometimes i land with the bike lent over to the left and im still and off balance.

the head turning part is my downfall i think.

ive landed quite a few smooth ones where instead of fakie out i roll back slightly then put pressure on the pedal to pivot 180 out on the rear wheel. (hope that makes sense.)

ill give the head turning job a go and let you know. thanks for the advice

Edited by Carlperkins

cant help you on a trials bike appart from the fact that you are landing on your back wheel which is gonna f**k shit up, land at least 2 wheels same time IMO.

I cant 18o anything bigger than a bmx and on that i land my front wheel a faction before my back and I mean its almost instantaneous.

This helps you move your weight back when the back wheel lands and there's yer momentum

Also sitting down straight way helps loads when learning or learn it straight to revert.

Disclaimer: I do it like this, I do everything in a strange way, I am shit at trials but I can ride a BMX this is a bmx trick.

Carry on.

oh and suck yer feets up more, loads more.

Seems I have been doing it wrong all my life, ah well it works for me:

this dull cwnt explains it well with the added bonus of micheal jackson music:

(warning he goes on and on and on)

Edited by Matt Vandart

Yeah, landing both wheels at the same time will help for sure. You don't really want to focus on carving. You'll carve a bit naturally but focus on turning your head and shoulders, looking for where your front wheel is going to land and the rest of your body and the bike should follow. I know what people are saying about it being in your hips but for me that's something I feel happen more than focus on. All about turning your head and shoulders.

I'd say that if you turn your head (isn't easy at the beginning. I can do it fine for 180s but can't do it if I try a 360...) try and level out your wheels at the highest point of the jump and land with your hips slightly further back, you should be fine :)

On my trials bike I can't lift up the front wheel more than a few inches so try to not pop your front wheel as much and lean forward a bit. That's what works for me.

Also try going faster, once you get it

that doesn't make much sense to me....do you mean like an english hop (both wheels at the same time)? If you can't lift your front wheel over a couple of inches I would seriously consider changing your bike set up until you can lift it higher.

ahh ok, ill get a video up probably within the next 2-3 days. im doing it on an brakeless inspired element, same one i'm selling haha.

but if I start nailing spinny tricks quick enough... I may end up keeping it and getting rid of my echo.

The Element rides great for trials, keep it!

For 180s IMO, go faster, pull back harder, use less carve, over rotate, and go faster.

oh and suck yer feets up more, loads more.

my bmx mates 360 flat with their back wheel really low, like the video matt posted, they don't pro hop it properly, but check out ryan leech's pedal punch 180 flats, he pulls up the rear to give clearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_L-IgBiMqA

I guess if you re using the moves in trials doing a full pro hop leg pull up will mean you can 180 over benches and rocks and not just flat.