The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm right; he's finance more. If he got 23K for the Golf and a new A3 is £27,000(give or take) OTR then he's paid more.

He's said it himself, and if you guys can't see that then you're as much of a mug as he is.

;)

Don't get how am a mug am not feeding anyone shit either what's there to lie about.

Well enjoy it, I just get annoyed because I have to deal with people telling me how much cash they're going to save by signing up to a new car all day every day.

8V's look badass, I saw one the other day and actually stopped to watch it drive past.

The reason I got wound up is this -

Golf was costing me an arm and a leg to be honest the guts of 900-1k a month between some finance and still had the loan from previous car and petrol wasn't far off £10 a day I let it go to clear everything and start a fresh.

This is the first brand new car I have bought mate all my other cars have been 2nd hand just fancied something cheap for the mean time no mots and warranty for piece of mind. Points will be off my license next year so will see what I can afford then definetly need a track toy though something I have always wanted to do.

You mentioned everything I am trained to look out for, which told me you were looking to save money and retain your creature comforts and the things you like from your PX. These same things I am trained to look for and sell off the back of really annoy me because they just don't make sense, I don't understand the whole "spend 10K on a new car to save £90 a year on tax and 1000 a year on fuel".

I use it as a positive selling technique, I'd say "So what put the new A3 on your shopping list then?"

And you'd say all of the above quotation, and tell me everything you don't like about your part exchange etc and then sell the benefits of the new A3 to yourself. I'd just get to sit there and go "Uhhuh, yeah sure." and then make you a coffee and you'd sign up.

At least you go and look at stuff and actually buy it, hats off for that.

I'm with you jardo. The perceived idea of how something of greater value can 'cost less' the something of lesser value is laughable.

I want lower running costs from my car, but the cost of purchasing a vastly more economical car would take 1.5 times my annual mileage before I made a saving. So I won't buy one.

That's the reason I'm going to look at a 325 touring as its repair costs are tiny compared to a older diesel with potential expensive issues. and mpg isn't much worse then mine as my driving needs are changing soon.

Edited by shamus
  • Like 2

Getting the point, you're not.

Some people struggle with monthly outgoings, it's quite simple - if I pay out £500 in total to various different places, it makes sense to reduce the payment to £300 in total, paying one source rather than 3 or 4. Yes, you pay more in the end, but that's irrelevant really - if you need more cash free per month, this is the way to do it.

PS, are you such a rude c*nt in real life? I'd imagine you're not, so try and be a little nicer on here.

Nobody asked you to rip apart their personal finances on a public forum Jardo, just f**k off, that really wasn't cool. If someone wants your advice they'll ask for it.

Don't get me wrong, if I wanted advice on finance I'd probably ask you, but not in public view.

But you also wouldn't tell somebody on an open forum whos job is hugely linked with car finance that you'd chopped in a 23K car for a 28K car and saved money...

It'd be like me telling you that I climbed Everest the other day, on my hands. You'd know it wasn't true.

*I'm mega stoked and incredibly jealous that the guys got a new 8V, I'd love to be in a position that I could justify £340 a month on car finance to get a new A3. They're really really nice cars.

But the theory behind his original post just doesn't hold up. If he'd have just said "I've bought an 8V A3" then I'd have said it's awesome. But he's said "I've bought an 8V A3 which cost me more than the car I part exchanged, and it's saving me a load of money." Which doesn't make annnnny sense.

But you also wouldn't tell somebody on an open forum whos job is hugely linked with car finance that you'd chopped in a 23K car for a 28K car and saved money...

It'd be like me telling you that I climbed Everest the other day, on my hands. You'd know it wasn't true.

Still missing the point. He IS saving money. He WAS paying out £1k, he's now paying out LESS. Thus SAVING MONEY.

It's really not difficult to grasp. We're talking about monthly outgoings, not the total he has to pay back.

Also, it's nothing like your Everest idea. Nothing at all.

But he still owes more than he started with.

It's you that's missing the point.

If he wanted to lower his monthly outgoings he could have sold the Golf R, bought a tidy E46 diesel BMW (or something for 3/4K), run it for 6 months and cleared his finances and then started a fresh. As it is he's consolidated his finances and taken out an agreement for more than he started with.

Edited by Pashley26

Yes, I would totally do that, because the bloke who's job is linked to car finance shouldn't be a f**king retard and should be able to see that I'm talking about monthly cost, not overall. Anyone can see that, you just didn't need to go off on one again.

Anyway, Everest isn't a climb, it's a walk, and people with no legs have done it believe it or not, so could easily be true. :P

EDIT: No Jardo, you're missing the point. People deal with money differently. Some look at total cost for all time, some look at total cost for that month, or a year. He wanted to save his monthly outgoings, which he has managed to the tune of ~£650, and he's retained a newer car. I'd say that's pretty f**king clever.

Edited by Muel

Feel like I am repeating myself here I got rid of the golf saved me £750 a month and I wanted a new car so bought 1 m3 was going to cost £570 a month and if insurance wasn't so dear I would have went with that car. Golf went so I could clear everything and start from fresh. If I wasn't still paying for my vxr at the same time aswell as other things I wouldn't have sold.

I'm not going to keep the audi for 3 years will sell up long before then so I don't see it as in am in more debt cause I'm never going to be paying the full amount.

Lol you are hilarious I never once said I saved money total over all I said I was saving on monthly payments.

Anyways guy I worked with played a game at the airport and won himself a brand new Austin Martin but took the £84k cash equivalent instead lucky ain't the word.

GMFV on the Audi will be set at 85% of its projected trade in value at month 36; and as such you won't be in positive equity until at least month 85% of the agreement.

So you'll be buying yourself out or refinancing the negative equity if you buy out much before month 26. Just so you know...Because when you do come to sell it, you WILL be paying the full amount.

New car PCP deals are very different to use car purchases. :)

Edited by Pashley26

Jardo:

1) Read this - http://xkcd.com/386/

2) Watch this -

3) Decide whether it's more important to be right (and make sure everyone knows it) or to be civil/friendly/nice. If you were wrong more often, people would like you more.

P.S. I'm aware that this is me giving Jardo advice he didn't ask for, when we're criticising him for doing just that to someone else. The irony has not escaped me.

P.P.S. Jardo on this one I think you are actually right. But the way you go about stating your point is just unnecessary and incendiary.

• Like 2

Yes I am aware of how the pcp deal works with handing it back after 3 years or selling it private and paying the remaining balance ect.

Life's to short to sit and worry about all this crap I am only 23 if I am due them money if I sell up next year or so then so be it I will pay it

This is a car thread came here to share about getting a new car can we just leave it at that instead of all this bitching About having more debt than I had before.

Just went for metalic ice silver only colour they had ready to go other than that would have had to wait untill October I think it was. Also comes with privacy glass and all the usual s line spec :)

Edited by greg1040

Travelled for an hour to veiw a car I had found online. Turned out to be very sketchy. The battery was so flat the dash wouldn't light up, it didn't have the original wheels on and the dealer couldn't explain why and it also had what appeared to be brand new carpet in, again no explanation.

Walked away and wasted two hours of my life, the joys of buying cars.