The Car Thread

MadManMike

Do you really think I care what most people on here think?

Judging by the lengthy replies you give, trying to backup/defend the rubbish you talk, I'd say so...

Edited by Jolfa

I'm considering de-wipering, it's cheaper and would look nicer. What's the best way to do it? Can you buy a blanking plate / cap of some sort?

You literally take the wiper off, then take the bootlid plastics off, and unbolt the motor. The hole is then filled with a grommet (You can get fancy glass ones which look exactly like the tinted glass already there, for about £10. I just put a rubber grommet in there, because I happened to have one to hand).

Be warned though, due to the shape of the Leon's boot, the glass seems to attract crap like its going out of fashion! I drive a van the majority of the time though, so having a rear window is more of a luxury than a requirement :P

Those are pretty cool links Robin. I've always wondered what the insides of a box look like. Its the one area on a car I've never really done any work on.

Just ordered a cordless impact wrench off eBay with a max torque of 420nm. Shouldn't be many bolts that won't undo! Will come in handy for when I do my clutch and flywheel change. I also have my wheels off nearly every weekend, so should save my arms a bit.

Happy that my tool collection is rapidly growing. There's not many jobs I couldn't do now!

I've got one that's rated to 440Nm (this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-CP2400-Powerful-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-24V-1-2-Sq-Drive-325lb-ft-441nm-/170722094440?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3AOU%3AGB%3A1123&nma=true&si=QDgwFSZkvZJg2mTQ0n07sOLF95g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557) - it will do wheel nuts at ~100Nm but nothing more. I don't know how they can get away with it, but no way it will remove 450Nm-tight bolts unfortunately :(

It does save a LOT of time changing wheels though, and good for stuck bolts where access is decent. Be perfect for clutch / flywheel change too. Overall, well worth having (Y)

Yup, that's the one (well...kinda, mines a copy of the Sealey). I was dubious about it managing 420nm, but as long as it will do wheel bolts, and suspension top mounts and other bits like that (crankshaft bolts would be good too!), I'll be happy. Wheel bolts were my main reason for getting it though. 5 studs are annoying! :P

• Like 1

Mine's a sealey tools copy called BOSCHMAN, as above, doesn't crack wheel nuts off, but on most stuff it cracks off general nuts and bolts and saves LOADS of time. Just walk around the car with a breaker and crack all 20 nuts, then whiz them on / off with the gun, and retorque at the end :)

Saves loads of time when stripping down parts as well like for a gearbox change, just be wary of reassembling with the impact gun.

All I know about the gearbox debate is that my car has one, and that those pictures weren't 1st and 2nd from Nicks box, ones a bevel gear, so can't be anything to do with Nicks gearbox, it's a transverse gearbox with an ATB differental, I'm 99% certain it doesn't contain any bevel gears. :blink: (Before any toys get thrown, I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just pointing out something that confused me, out of my own curiosity if nothing else.)

Is there any way the co-driver could say 'me' and 'you' instead of 'left' and 'right'? Might be an easy way around it?

Sounds like an interesting idea, will give it some thought thanks!

After over 2 months without a car I'm finally back on the road! :)

3rd Passat viewed last night, it went on Auto Trader Monday night and we were the first people to phone up and view it. I purchased there and then and it's already sat outside my house.

2004 VW Passat 1.9Tdi Sport. 103k miles. I'm the third owner, the guy I bought it from had owned it since it was about 1 year old and he paid extra to have extended VW warranty service on it so it has full VW service history up until last year with the Cam Belt done at 65k. He had it serviced by a local garage about 1 month ago and it has since only done 300 miles. The last 5 MOT's have had no advisories, it ideally needs new front tyres and it needs a damn good clean inside but it's tidy and I'm very happy after the comfortable 80 mile drive home last night in heavy rain! It was up for £2995 and I got it for £2700.

I only have day insure right now but it looks like I will be getting it insured for £350-£400 including the non fault accident declared.

Viewing cars when it's raining is not advisable haha

Anyway, here is a photo from the advert:

post-223-0-83581400-1368612630_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My mum has the 105pd version of the exact same car. It's pretty dull to drive, but it's very comfortable, and feels like you're wafting along in a barge. I did a cam belt change on hers, and have serviced it twice. The longitudinal engines are SO easy to work on!

Sounds like an interesting idea, will give it some thought thanks!

Could you not use port and starboard? A red strip down the left side of the screen and a green strip down the right side of the screen?

Remember "I left a glass of red port"

Another option I guess :)

Edited by forteh

It's a shame that the only events which would give me a similar rush are hillclimb and proper rallies - both are way too expensive, the latter also being completely out of my league in terms of skill. I'll be doing an amateur rally in the Daihatsu soon, one where you need a co-driver because the special stages are too long to remember them. One of the more serious problems I'm faced with is rather ridiculous - I have a problem with directions (left/right). A solution was proposed whereby I stick a big LEFT sticker on the left of my screen and RIGHT on the right. Wonder if that could work, it would definitely look incredibly stupid on an on-board recording.

How about 3 O clock and 9 O Clock?

My mum has the 105pd version of the exact same car. It's pretty dull to drive, but it's very comfortable, and feels like you're wafting along in a barge. I did a cam belt change on hers, and have serviced it twice. The longitudinal engines are SO easy to work on!

Mine is the 130bhp Sport with 6 speed box. Because it's the Sport it has firmer suspension so it's nicer to drive than the other Passat's we test drove. It is dull in comparison to the Cupra but much better than I expected it to be :)

I remember Port and Starboard by the length of the words. 'Red', 'port' and 'left' are all shorter than 'green', 'starboard' and 'right'. I guess the main thing's that it's short, and not going to make you have to think about it, and also clear as to which was said. I've done a small amount of co-driving and you do have to be seriously clear, as the driver's got a lot to think about!

Passat looks and sounds great Tic, I do like B5/5.5 Passats. Tell your friend to make sure he gets a Passat not an A4, as much as I liked my old A4, every time I saw a Passat I was annoyed by how much bigger their boot was. I'm feeling the want for an estate massively at the moment. I'm getting back into mountain-biking more properly, and something I can sling the bike in easier would be amazing. Still, I'm too attached to the 'rocco to sell it for now, and moving puts a second car out of the picture for the time being, so I'll have to make do for now.

Out of all the suggested ways to do it, if I didn't know my left and rights quickly enough I reckon the 'Me' or 'You' one is by far the winner. You're not likely to be able to get it wrong if the co-driver is saying 'me' instead of 'right' (you guys do drive on the wrong side of the car/road, right correct?)

I'll just stick to left and right, y'all are making it more complicated!

Hang-lo, as in bollock, as in one of my bollocks hangs lower than the other, which is on the left, so LEFT. (I'd be down a ravine by this point probably on fire / being eaten by raging foxes)

• Like 1