Windows 8 Release Preview

Martin Reynolds

So the release preview of Windows 8 is out. Anyone else tried this? I've currently got it installed, and think its a pile of w**k! Its like they're tried to merge the tablet functionality with Windows 7 and failed miserably. And I apologise for the massive block of text, it wont allow me to create new lines.....

Your massive block of text is a truly spectacular sight to behold. Was hoping for a pic or a video though...

Can't really fault Windows 7, it's by far the best system they've made in my opinion so probably won't be switching over for quite some time.

Edited by Greetings

Your massive block of text is a truly spectacular sight to behold. Was hoping for a pic or a video though...

Can't really fault Windows 7, it's by far the best system they've made in my opinion so probably won't be switching over for quite some time.

That'd be a video of me ranting about how i couldn't do anything! >_<

I mean so far:

They've removed the start menu, and replaced it with a 'recently used' kind of interface. Which is all well and good, but it is fixed to only work in one screen, and you cant drag applications to other screens.

Sound from internet explorer is stopped as soon as you go to another application.

Spent 10 minutes trying to find the settings for the tablet web browser, didn't happen

I hear the startup time in 8 is like below 10 seconds?

I'm running an ssd, so startup time isnt an issue :P

It must be annoying if you go somewhere else and use a different computer without one. I can picture myself getting annoyed in that situation.

Well at home im running 2.4ghz quad core, 4gb ram, ssd, and my computer at work is a decent spec core i5, so i dont really have that issue.

But using any computers with less than 3 screens is annoying :P

i downloaded it for a bit of fun on my netbook as it is hardly ever used now iv got an ipad and a new desktop and so I'm not impressed at all. All the new features wont work on a screen with a resolution as low as on my netbook so for me it was a complete waste of time. The annoying thing is though that the software that checks if you are compatible with windows 8 did not mention that my screen res would be an issue.

i have not had a proper play as yet but il post again if when i have more of an view on it all.

However it did take around 6 hours to download and install and we don't have slow connection by any means.

I played around with an early beta a while back and whilst on a desktop it didn't really cut it, I reckon on touch screen devices (which were a pretty major target for this release) things will be pretty different!

We'll have to wait and see how it goes I guess. I certainly won't be leaving W7 on my main machine any time soon, but I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure :)